Fireman's Fund Insurance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Fireman's Fund Insurance Interview Questions

Interviews at Fireman's Fund Insurance

Sort:

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in October 2012.

Interview

I was in touch with HR for about a year, but they were on a hiring freeze the whole time. Finally they brought me in for a one on one interview. The next weekend I came in for a 4 hour on campus interview with 4 managers and lunch with two analysts. The VP of pricing was the least welcoming/expressive, but it seemed to be an intimidation tactic. Eventually she opened up and we had a good conversation.

Interview Questions

• Outline how you would price hole-in-one insurance, and how you would evaluate the expected loss.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for 5% more and got about 3% more.

Assistant Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Talked with the recruiter on the phone and was brought out to the campus for an in person interview a couple of weeks later. I interviewed with four people including the vice president, assistant vice president and two FCAS managers. I also took a tour of the campus with a senior actuary and had lunch with two peer's. Everyone was very nice and I loved their campus. They have a gym, cafeteria, dry-cleaning, and study room. The whole process took about four and a half hours.

Interview Questions

• They describe a golf course that gives a certain prize to players when they hit a hole in one. They want you to figure out what the premium should be on an insurance policy on the prize.   1 Answer
    • Explain what is meant by the "Fiscal Cliff" so that third grader could understand what the big deal in the media is.   Answer Question

Assistant Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I was referred to FFIC by an actuary who had previously worked there for over 10 years and still kept in good contact with his colleagues there. The entire interview and hiring process was the quickest I've ever dealt with, although this was largely due to my use of another job offer as leverage.

The in-house recruiter contacted me via phone on a Tuesday. I had a phone interview with one of the actuaries later on that day. The phone interview was very positive. The woman I spoke with was very pleasant and extremely extroverted, especially for an actuary. Though she asked a few of your standard interview questions, the majority of our phone conversation was just that -- a conversation. It was at this point that I was already getting a great feel for the company.

Two days later, on Thursday, I went in for the live interview. The interview was scheduled from 10:30am until 2:30pm. I came in early as suggested, around 9:45am, in order to tour the campus and office with the recruiter. The day ended up going on until a little past 3:00pm. I met with 6 different actuaries and analysts, including the Chief Actuary, for about 30-45 minutes each. They all seemed to ask the same canned questions (not sure if this was intentional), though a couple of the more senior folks mixed it up by giving me little impromptu problems to analyze. Otherwise, the interviews were once again, just conversations between the interviewers and myself. All the people I met with were suspiciously sociable for actuaries at an insurance company. The interviews were an overall pleasant experience. The interview also included a lunch in the middle of the day.

The next day, Friday, while in a different city looking for housing for my original job offer, I got a call from the FFIC recruiter saying that they were creating an offer package for me. On Monday, I was given the offer details including salary amount benefits package. I accepted soon after without negotiating (see negotiation section for additional details).

Interview Questions

• Without leaving this room, how would you go about in estimating the number of ceiling tiles present throughout the entire campus?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because I already had an offer from a competitor, I was able to use this as leverage for my starting salary. I expected low initial offer, which I had planned to counter offer with a higher amount, expecting to settle in between. However, they offered me my "in between" salary right from the get-go. Although I probably could have squeezed an additional 2000-3000, I decided the offer was fair for an entry level position and that I would let my work speak for itself.

Administrative Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA).

Interview

The online application has some technical glitches, once through that process then the HR recruiter was pleasant and helpful. The entire process was slow going taking nearly one month for a job that I was told needed to be filled "immediately". After the phone interview with the recruiter, I was scheduled to meet with the hiring manager, another admin assistant and one other manager in the department. All were pleasant and positive about the company and clear about the role expectations.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter. She called back the next day to set up a face to tace interview and let me know I was going to meet with 4 people and take a typing & basic comprehension test and to plan to be there for about 2 hours. I met with 2 people at time and essentially had two interviews.

Interview Questions

• All questions are pretty straight forward. Make sure you have lots of examples of times you had difficult customers or was in a difficult situation and how you overcame that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I got the offer about a week after I interviewed and I took the initial offer.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Good communication from recruiter. Online application system is a bit remedial. Settings somehow supressed my application from recruiter. Had to sort of prove I'd already completed the process. Automated message to candidate includes attachment with instructions to manager. The poor automation quliaty here was a bit worrisome, but candidates should persist through this awkward phase. The rest of the company doesn't seem to operate this way.

Interview Questions

• I've never been asked about my "personal brand" before, in this kind of role.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The application process forces you to state a desired salary. They offered slightly less than I asked for on the application. I requested a compromise on a benefit and was given a different, but acceptable alternative. Honestly, I was so motivated to leave my former employer, I didn't fight very hard, but I got the impression the recruiter and hiring manager would have engaged fairly with me if I had. I think the critical part of engaging with anyone at FF is respect and openness to other's ideas. Don't be afraid to articulate your needs, but be careful to be extremely respectful as you do this. Entitlement isn't a job skill, here.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

It was long interviewing process. No feedback for days at a time. Interviewer were always late during an interview.

Actuarial Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied online and after weeks of calls back and forth between an hr rep and myself I was able to schedule an appointment. They said they would pay for travel since I do not live within driving distance, however they did not fulfill that agreement. The interview lasted 6 hours with mostly considerate people except of course the one making the final decision, who did not give the time of day.

Litigation Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Pretty normal. I submitted a resume writing sample work experience. They reviewed my material and the writing Sam overhead it's nothing unusual about that. The interview was fairly normal. It was very interested in my trial experience of course. They seemed very interested in bringing me back for another round. That did not happen for reasons that were never made clear of course. They also wanted to make sure that I was comfortable working in a paperless office environment.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Dallas, TX) in May 2009.

Interview

i dont really have anything to say about the interview process. It was a long process with several managers. TGhey made me come back after several days and interview