First American Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 14, 2017

2.7

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

It was very straightforward and the interviewer asked simple questions, such as those about my resume, why I want the position, etc. It was conducted over the phone and they never got back to me after that.

Escrow Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maitland, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First American (Maitland, FL) in January 2017.

Interview

It was a great interview. The manager was very transparent about her expectations and I felt comfortable talking to her. She made it more of a conversation than an interview. I was shocked to discuss pay expectations at the first interview, but that is just how up front this was. I appreciate that and I am waiting to have my second interview.

Insurance Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First American (Santa Ana, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Hiring process has been extremely simple thus far. Applied online, was contacted by an Acquisition Specialist within 24 hours. For a phone interview. We both showed mutual interest and my information was passed onto the hiring manager who scheduled an interview in person at their beautiful headquarters in Santa Ana. I went in for the interview, and was offered the job in the next day or so. It was a pretty great feeling, being selected to move on for employment with a legendary company with an awesome culture. I am currently going through the background process and once that is all tied up and done I will be starting work with them in the next several weeks. I am excited for the great opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about yourself, please tell me about your resume, what did you do at job1, job2, etc.   Answer Question

Paralegal Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at First American.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me within 2 days of applying. She told me I was going to meet and interview with the main attorney. Turns out it was a panel interview. 2 attorneys and 2 paralegals. After that they had me interview with 2 other attorneys.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First American (Santa Ana, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Got a phone screening interview from HR representative and a onsite interview with department manager the following day. I am still waiting for the onsite interview. So if there is anything I can share I would update.

Corporate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First American (Santa Ana, CA).

Interview

I was interviewed twice, three years apart. The first was based on a referral. I was called for the second interview after meeting some employees at an unrelated networking event. Both times, the initial call was followed up by a HR representative contacting me via email to schedule a phone interview.

In summary - The first interview process went as expected 1) Met with HR 2) Met with the Hiring Manager 3) Met with potential colleagues 4) Met again to discuss specifics with Hiring Manager and HR. This process ended with an offer. The HR department was unwilling to negotiate, unwilling to provide a copy of the Employee Handbook, and very "take it or leave it" despite knowing I had two competing offers. I took another offer.

The second interview process was expedited based on the fact they had previous experience with me. However, the HR representative really screwed this one up. I was left sitting by my phone for an hour while waiting for the HR representative to call me at the scheduled time. Once she finally called me, I explained to her what salary range that would be attractive enough to consider leaving my current employer. I let her know I wanted to be respectful of everyone time by making this clear up front. She assured me that this position was in that range and tailored for me. I agreed to take time off to come and meet with them in person. For my first interview in person, I was 5 minutes early and left in the lobby for 15 minutes after the scheduled time before someone other than the HR representative came to get me because they "could not find her". I met with the hiring manager and it went really well. Afterwards, I received an email from the HR representative (no explanation about going MIA) asking for another in-person meeting with the Director and my potential colleagues. I again took time off work. The interview took well past the allotted 1.5 hour time frame and it was clear that, after speaking with the Director, the position was not in my experience nor salary range and that they would have to go back for additional approval to increase the position to the "salary bracket" I would need to fall in. That was how they ended it. I had tried following up with the HR representative many times to close the loop and part ways, but she never returned my messages. A week after, I contacted the person who original reached out to me and said that it seems the current situation will not work for either parties, but I appreciated them thinking of me and will keep in touch in case another opportunity comes up.

A few days later, I received an AUTOMATED notification from their HR software letting me know they were going with another candidate. That was the last straw for me. They called me. I did not Apply. I made every accommodation for them and they had no regard for my time and were extremely unprofessional and inconsiderate. If this is how they treat someone they are trying attract, I would hate to see how they would have treated me once I was an employee. I will not be considering them again.

*** This review is based solely on the interview process and HR. I want to stress that the people within the department I would have worked with were extremely professional, smart, considerate, and lovely people. It would have been a pleasure to collaborate and work with that team. It is unfortunate that their HR makes such a horrible impression, is ill informed (or straight out lies), and is so unprofessional. That might be the reason turn-over is so high.

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about your experience?
      What is your current salary?
      Why are you looking for another job? (again... THEY CALLED ME... did she forget that part?)
      What kind of Manager do you work best with?
      Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at First American.

Interview

There was a phone interview from HR that caught me off guard. Then they set up an on-site interview with the hiring manager. I was offered the position that same day, a few hours later.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First American (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Applied online and someone followed up via email. I had a phone interview that lasted about 15 minutes asking about myself and my resume as well as telling me about the position and the company.

Escrow Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Placerville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at First American (Placerville, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was contacted twice and the second time we got to conect, i interviewed for the jackson office and ended up in placerville. which was fine. and the office was very friendly i did my second inter view there and was offered the job with in a week or 2.

Interview Questions

• They were interested in my knowledge of the industry and where I got started. which was with them 20 years ago.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ask for what you want up front.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at First American (Santa Ana, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

There was a phone interview, followed by an in person interview. First American is a huge company with a very large IT department with many different divisions that may not talk to one another. So the interview process may vary depending on which department and type of position (ie, contract or full-time position).

Interview Questions

• Experience with background technologies, algorithms and approach.   Answer Question