First Banks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 9, 2018

2.2

IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hazelwood, MO

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First Banks (Hazelwood, MO).

Interview

I was contacted by a First Bank "Assistant Vice President | Senior Recruiter" who found me on LinkedIn. The direct mail I received from him sounded encouraging but was riddled with grammatical errors, so I should have filed it, but... I replied to learn a little more. His reply was encouraging so we set up a few moments to speak over the phone. The recruiter spoke well of the company and values, and to be honest, sounded quite intriguing. He asked if I would be interested in coming in to 'meet the team'. After hearing about the culture, I thought it would be nice to at least get a feel for the team dynamics. After all, they are only about 15 minutes from my current employer.

After this, I had a few follow up questions for the recruiter. I found his replies to be quite short and downright impersonal. I guess he felt like he got what he needed and that there was no need to make a further impression. That really rubbed me the wrong way to be honest. In fact, I had lost my desire to go in at all but after all, it isn't the teams fault so I wanted to at least follow through.

Upon arriving to the location, I found the neighborhood run down... I mean it wasn't a place I could see myself enjoying driving into each day. The roads are terrible leading to the place and there are a lot of dilapidated and unkept buildings. No thanks. The outside of the First Bank office itself was okay but inside looks as if they take no pride in the office - Old tables and chairs that seemed way beyond their time and empty walls. The security guard inside seemed onfused and impersonal. I really started questioning myself at this point. Why would I want to change from a successful global company who was just ranked one of the best places in IT to work for, for this?!

I have a LOT of years behind me with GREAT success and large enterprises. I am a very smart person but started to doubt that once I showed up. It really bothered me and I found myself with ZERO enthusiasm while there. All I could think of, is 'how do I just leave right now'. Sounds terrible, but it is true. Never have I been in this position before, where it just felt something was so 'off'.

The manager was okay if not moderately stuffy, but the team that I met were very nice. I felt like they would be outstanding to work with. Turns out however, that this was not a 'meet the team' event, but a technical interview. The recruiter didn't have the common courtesy to tell me that. So that makes me question not only his honesty and integrity, but also that of the company. At this point, I had zero interest in being there, or answering any of their technical questions. The manager came off as condescending and arrogant (as already mentioned) and said he was going to 'drill' me with some technical questions. He said that if I got through that, they would have me back to be 'drilled some more'.

I regret doing this whole thing. I really like my current job and feel ashamed for entertaining this idea to begin with. The root of all this frustration begins with that recruiter - Try showing some transparency to future candidates next time... Be honest... It never was a 'meet the team' invite; it was a technical interview. I would have welcomed that invitation if he had been honest with me. Instead I wound up sitting there dreaming up ways to leave.

The manager said that they won't accept just any candidate. PLEASE remember that these things are NOT one-sided - The candidates are also looking VERY hard at the company and management as well - Hence my lack of responses to their questions. I have sharper radar than the nautilus - I felt no need to turn it on here.

If one thing positive came out of this, it is that it made me appreciate how much I really do like my job and company. It made me appreciate how honest and transparent they are.

Interview Questions

• Describe what Active Directory is for. They seriously asked this!!   Answer Question

Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at First Banks (Houston, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

smooth, but was lengthy, thought they asked a lot of questions not pertinent to the position.
    They were asking to work in locations not close to my home, and responsibilities seem greater the pay

Branch Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at First Banks (Newport Beach, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Received phone call from hiring manager who was also the Regional Manager. Conducted phone screening and moved on to two in person interviews. Company is a small family owned bank who has grown mainly through acquisitions. Branches are small and slow. The interviewer shared who their primary competitors were but it seemed that they lacked the infrastructure as well as the brand awareness to really capture a much more savvier southern California market. Doesn't mean there isn't business there for them. As long as there is smaller business with credit needs this bank can continue to grow on smaller "family" scale. But not really going raise any eyebrows.

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at First Banks (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2014.

Interview

It was weird. I applied for one location and 30 minutes later i got a phone call from the manager and was asked to come in for an interview the next afternoon. We chatted about the job, cash handling, sales experience and my expectations and goals with the company. The manager seemed very interested and said she will get my information to HR and get the next step going.

About a month went by with no response and being told the process was still going on, I applied at another location. I got the phone call back about a week later, interviewed a few days later and the next week, I was offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were about cash handling, sales experience and expectations. There were questions on goals that I have achieved in my previous employer, how I set goals and what I do to achieve goals. Other questions include customer service scenarios, what good customer service is to me and prior examples of when I showed great customer service.   Answer Question

CSR11 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at First Banks (Hazelwood, MO) in February 2014.

Interview

easy, i has one interview, explained my former job, talked to the interviewer about the requirements. I left with a good feeling. The whole process took about an hour. He asked a lot of questions about my past experience and explained details of the position

Float Teller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First Banks (Riverside, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

general cash handling questions with cross selling examples and management options and benefit discussion understanding the bank as well as the manager and employees a walk thru of the bank and the ideas of daily work life and duties

Banking Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hazelwood, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First Banks (Hazelwood, MO) in August 2009.

Interview

Very friendly atmosphere for students and great communication with other employees.

Loan Department Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First Banks in August 2011.

Interview

There are 2 rounds of interviews

Personal Banker Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at First Banks in October 2009.

Interview

Interviewer was nice but thorough. He asked me what I would do if a customer was angry because of a bank error, also asked how I would cross-sell bank products.
    Overall a good interview. Turned down the position because the salary wasn't enough.

Compensation was to low.