First Data Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 24, 2017

2.6

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First Data (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

First contacted by a recruiter and after a brief phone interview she moved me on to an interview with the financial manager. Once I had the interview with the financial manager the recruiter contacted me the same day and scheduled a phone interview with the director. After that phone interview I am still waiting to hear back from First Data. Interview was very informal and easy since they were good to talk to!

Interview Questions

• What is your level of knowledge with Excel and Access?   Answer Question

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at First Data (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

A First Data recruiter called and asked if I could come in the Tuesday before Christmas to interview with PM team, then requested a change to the Thursday before Christmas . On Wednesday, having never gotten specifics on the location the I reached out on only to be told the interview was canceled. This was some of the worst company behavior I have seen.

Interview Questions

• Can you cancel holiday plans and come for an interview the Thursday before Christmas.   1 Answer

Finance Entree Level Interview

Anonymous Employee in Athens, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at First Data (Athens, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

It was on campus interview and first round was fairly easy. They mainly asked about your resume and trying to find out if you are a hardworker. The interviewer were from the same school, UGA so that helps a bit. It was nice overall

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at First Data (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My resume was sourced through an agency (Judge Group) representing the client. The position was placed on hold for so long that I completely forgot about it when the agency rep called me again asking that I interview on a Saturday morning. Met with the VP, Talent Acquisition & Recruitment and was informed that there was a Finance/Accounting role I would be considered for. That was 9/24. Afterwards....................radio silence - no feedback.................no response from the agency or anyone else. Past employees and interviewees have informed me that this is the norm for this company. If this is how candidates are treated, do I really want to recruit for this company?????

Data Conversion Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at First Data (Omaha, NE) in October 2016.

Interview

Names have been changed to protect identities. Made it to face-to-face panel-style interview with two people (details, below). Length of F2F interview was a little over thirty minutes. There were no skill assessments.

Around noon I received a phone call while I was in the shower. "OMG this is it, OMG this is it!" I haphazardly scrambled out of the shower, briefly dried off my hands and face to prevent damaging my phone, and answered to an out-of-state HR representative we will call Alex.

The call went so quickly that I don't recall any of the questions except for something along the lines of why did I leave my last job. I mentioned that I was discharged, and tried to salvage the conversation by explaining my loss of employment: client had a problem, I tried to fix it, fix ended up breaking something downstream, I got fired for not following the change control process, I learned the value of consulting my team before fixing clients.

To Alex's credit, they actually critiqued my answer by telling me not to say that, and to instead say that I was laid off. I thought this was odd, but I didn't comment. Alex then told me that my resume needed work and gave me some great advice on fixing it.

After all that, I still set up a face-to-face interview for the next day. An email confirmation was sent to my job-seeking email address. Alex said that I should show up, and did not give a manager's name; just say that I was here for the "Data Conversion Analyst" interview.

The next day, I dressed up in a suit, shined my oxfords, and went to the interview. Showed up ten minutes early to the front desk where a security person was sitting, we'll call Bailey. Baily checked me in, and my potential first mistake was that I did not take the plastic ballpoint pen they offere. Rather I opted to sign in using my personal pen which was a nice, metallic Parker ballpoint pen. Aside, in hindsight, despite my friendliness, not accepting Bailey's pen might have appeared as arrogant. Secondly, I did not print off the email confirmation, so Baily had no idea which manager to call down.

From the sitting area, I logged on to my email from my phone to retrieve Alex's contact info from the confirmation email. I gave Bailey this info, and shortly afterward, a manager (Casey) showed up for someone else awaiting an interview. Casey decided to take me upstairs as well, but as we were leaving the lobby to enter the secure part of the building, another manager showed up (Dale). Dale took me up one floor via the stairs, and down the hallway, to the conference room that we would be using.

The hallway was fairly busy and about ten feet wide. Since the hall was wider than I'm accustomed to, I attempted to break the ice by saying, "Wow this hallway is wide! Do y'all have races in here?" Stupid, I know, but I'm really terrible at initiating conversation, so that's the best I could do. Anyways, Dale very generously chuckled at my bad attempt and replied back that they would occasionally play minigolf in the hallway. The rest of the walk passed quickly.

Enter the conference room. Sitting inside the conference room were two other managers. I will call them Dan and Dan, Again. Smiling, I introduced myself to Dan, and greeted the other Dan literally as "Dan, Again?" with a knowing smirk. I immediately regretted that introduction but pushed the feelings aside. Aside, after the interview, I spoke with a friend who claims that all three were stress testing me by using similar names to see how I would handle the confusion. Jestingly, apparently.

I asked them where they wanted me to sit, and they offered the entire table minus the seats they were currently using, of course. I chose the head of the table so that, and I quote, "So y'all can get a good look at me." More internal head-shaking.

Dale then proceeded to add a disclaimer to the interview, generally downplaying the line of questions, and making them seem like more of an afterthought or an unnecessary formality.

They started with the "tell us about yourself" one. I started my "working life story" chronologically from most recent, verbally walking back to when I started working at my previous job. "Most recently I did this... Before that I did this... And before that I did this..." Between descriptions, I would pause briefly just in case they had any questions up to that point. Dan gently cut me off with the next question as I wrapped up my job duties at my previous employer.

(((
    continue, below
    )))

Interview Questions

• tell us about yourself   1 Answer
    • greatest strength   1 Answer
    • greatest weakness   1 Answer
    • example of a project where i had a difficult situation   1 Answer
    • example of conflict with manager   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at First Data.

Interview

The process was awful. Communication was non-existent. My emails asking for status were frequently ignored. Then, I was told they may go with an internal candidate. Shouldn't you look internally before going outside and wasting people's time? The job description was misleading. This was a Director role that had no reports and lots of grunt work. Salary range was about 25℅ below the national average, and 401K matching is not offered. Get with the times, First Data. You aren't going to attract and keep good candidates like this. Although I wasn't offered the job, I think it was a blessing in disguise. After being ignored by HR for so long, I asked myself - do I really want to work for this company, who offers below average compensation, no 401K match, and treats their candidates like garbage?

Interview Questions

• Questions were typical. I will say I perceived some of the interviewers as arrogant. It seemed like they didn't care to get to know to me. Their questions were all about them, and I felt like my qualifications were frequently challenged.   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at First Data in September 2016.

Interview

The initial interview process was positive. A phone interview was conducted prior to an in person interview. However. the position is advertised on Ziprecruiter as having a 30,000 yearly based but the position is an $10 hourly postion. Bait and switch is done with the explanation that candidates are not being considered for the advertised position.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions about background and employment history   Answer Question

$10 an hour base salary coupled by the fact that candidates have to remain in the position an entire year.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hagerstown, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First Data (Hagerstown, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

Very to the point. Explained the process and asked great questions. Also asked questions about what I expected from the job. Also asked my experience in managing people.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with an angry client   1 Answer

Middle Management Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at First Data (Denver, CO) in August 2016.

Interview

Was invited to a session to show me round the place that would last 3 hours, this transpired to be an interview lasting 1hr10min. Staff were miserable, maybe serious morale issues, distracted by their cell phones, nothing good to say about FirstData. Very bad experience.

Interview Questions

• Actually they just asked two questions then said it was over to me to ask them questions.   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at First Data.

Interview

I got referred in from a current employee which made the interview process much easier as I was waived from the first round interviews because I was an employee referral.

Interview Questions

Employer Interview Review Title Location Interview Question
First Data Financial Analyst Interview New York, NY What is your level of knowledge with Excel and Access?
First Data Senior Project Manager Interview New York, NY Can you cancel holiday plans and come for an interview the Thursday before Christmas.
First Data Finance Entree Level Interview Athens, GA What do you see Yourself in 10 years
First Data Data Conversion Analyst Interview Omaha, NE tell us about yourself
First Data Data Conversion Analyst Interview Omaha, NE greatest strength
First Data Data Conversion Analyst Interview Omaha, NE greatest weakness
First Data Data Conversion Analyst Interview Omaha, NE example of a project where i had a difficult situation
First Data Data Conversion Analyst Interview Omaha, NE example of conflict with manager
First Data Director Interview Questions were typical. I will say I perceived some of the interviewers as arrogant. It seemed like they didn't care to get to know to me. Their questions were all about them, and I felt like my qualifications were frequently challenged.
First Data Business Consultant Interview The usual questions about background and employment history
First Data Manager Interview Hagerstown, MD Tell me about a time you dealt with an angry client
First Data Middle Management Position Interview Denver, CO Actually they just asked two questions then said it was over to me to ask them questions.
First Data Summer Interview Tell me about yourself