First Data Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 5, 2017

2.7

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at First Data (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

A First Data recruiter called and asked if I could come in the Tuesday before Christmas to interview with PM team, then requested a change to the Thursday before Christmas . On Wednesday, having never gotten specifics on the location the I reached out on only to be told the interview was canceled. This was some of the worst company behavior I have seen.

Interview Questions

• Can you cancel holiday plans and come for an interview the Thursday before Christmas.   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at First Data (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

My resume was sourced through an agency (Judge Group) representing the client. The position was placed on hold for so long that I completely forgot about it when the agency rep called me again asking that I interview on a Saturday morning. Met with the VP, Talent Acquisition & Recruitment and was informed that there was a Finance/Accounting role I would be considered for. That was 9/24. Afterwards....................radio silence - no feedback.................no response from the agency or anyone else. Past employees and interviewees have informed me that this is the norm for this company. If this is how candidates are treated, do I really want to recruit for this company?????

Data Conversion Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at First Data (Omaha, NE) in October 2016.

Interview

Names have been changed to protect identities. Made it to face-to-face panel-style interview with two people (details, below). Length of F2F interview was a little over thirty minutes. There were no skill assessments.

Around noon I received a phone call while I was in the shower. "OMG this is it, OMG this is it!" I haphazardly scrambled out of the shower, briefly dried off my hands and face to prevent damaging my phone, and answered to an out-of-state HR representative we will call Alex.

The call went so quickly that I don't recall any of the questions except for something along the lines of why did I leave my last job. I mentioned that I was discharged, and tried to salvage the conversation by explaining my loss of employment: client had a problem, I tried to fix it, fix ended up breaking something downstream, I got fired for not following the change control process, I learned the value of consulting my team before fixing clients.

To Alex's credit, they actually critiqued my answer by telling me not to say that, and to instead say that I was laid off. I thought this was odd, but I didn't comment. Alex then told me that my resume needed work and gave me some great advice on fixing it.

After all that, I still set up a face-to-face interview for the next day. An email confirmation was sent to my job-seeking email address. Alex said that I should show up, and did not give a manager's name; just say that I was here for the "Data Conversion Analyst" interview.

The next day, I dressed up in a suit, shined my oxfords, and went to the interview. Showed up ten minutes early to the front desk where a security person was sitting, we'll call Bailey. Baily checked me in, and my potential first mistake was that I did not take the plastic ballpoint pen they offere. Rather I opted to sign in using my personal pen which was a nice, metallic Parker ballpoint pen. Aside, in hindsight, despite my friendliness, not accepting Bailey's pen might have appeared as arrogant. Secondly, I did not print off the email confirmation, so Baily had no idea which manager to call down.

From the sitting area, I logged on to my email from my phone to retrieve Alex's contact info from the confirmation email. I gave Bailey this info, and shortly afterward, a manager (Casey) showed up for someone else awaiting an interview. Casey decided to take me upstairs as well, but as we were leaving the lobby to enter the secure part of the building, another manager showed up (Dale). Dale took me up one floor via the stairs, and down the hallway, to the conference room that we would be using.

The hallway was fairly busy and about ten feet wide. Since the hall was wider than I'm accustomed to, I attempted to break the ice by saying, "Wow this hallway is wide! Do y'all have races in here?" Stupid, I know, but I'm really terrible at initiating conversation, so that's the best I could do. Anyways, Dale very generously chuckled at my bad attempt and replied back that they would occasionally play minigolf in the hallway. The rest of the walk passed quickly.

Enter the conference room. Sitting inside the conference room were two other managers. I will call them Dan and Dan, Again. Smiling, I introduced myself to Dan, and greeted the other Dan literally as "Dan, Again?" with a knowing smirk. I immediately regretted that introduction but pushed the feelings aside. Aside, after the interview, I spoke with a friend who claims that all three were stress testing me by using similar names to see how I would handle the confusion. Jestingly, apparently.

I asked them where they wanted me to sit, and they offered the entire table minus the seats they were currently using, of course. I chose the head of the table so that, and I quote, "So y'all can get a good look at me." More internal head-shaking.

Dale then proceeded to add a disclaimer to the interview, generally downplaying the line of questions, and making them seem like more of an afterthought or an unnecessary formality.

They started with the "tell us about yourself" one. I started my "working life story" chronologically from most recent, verbally walking back to when I started working at my previous job. "Most recently I did this... Before that I did this... And before that I did this..." Between descriptions, I would pause briefly just in case they had any questions up to that point. Dan gently cut me off with the next question as I wrapped up my job duties at my previous employer.

(((
    continue, below
    )))

Interview Questions

• tell us about yourself   1 Answer
    • greatest strength   1 Answer
    • greatest weakness   1 Answer
    • example of a project where i had a difficult situation   1 Answer
    • example of conflict with manager   1 Answer

Director Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at First Data.

Interview

The process was awful. Communication was non-existent. My emails asking for status were frequently ignored. Then, I was told they may go with an internal candidate. Shouldn't you look internally before going outside and wasting people's time? The job description was misleading. This was a Director role that had no reports and lots of grunt work. Salary range was about 25℅ below the national average, and 401K matching is not offered. Get with the times, First Data. You aren't going to attract and keep good candidates like this. Although I wasn't offered the job, I think it was a blessing in disguise. After being ignored by HR for so long, I asked myself - do I really want to work for this company, who offers below average compensation, no 401K match, and treats their candidates like garbage?

Interview Questions

• Questions were typical. I will say I perceived some of the interviewers as arrogant. It seemed like they didn't care to get to know to me. Their questions were all about them, and I felt like my qualifications were frequently challenged.   Answer Question

Middle Management Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at First Data (Denver, CO) in August 2016.

Interview

Was invited to a session to show me round the place that would last 3 hours, this transpired to be an interview lasting 1hr10min. Staff were miserable, maybe serious morale issues, distracted by their cell phones, nothing good to say about FirstData. Very bad experience.

Interview Questions

• Actually they just asked two questions then said it was over to me to ask them questions.   1 Answer

Client Service Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at First Data (Omaha, NE) in July 2016.

Interview

Fantastic interview questions, both managers were engaging, both made it clear that that this was a tough job and wanted to know exactly how driven I was and how committed to excellence I am.

Interview Questions

• They surprised me with an opposite approach and allowed me to ask questions about the company and position first and kept the conversation open and flowing and then threw me a curve ball by asking me "What question did you expect to hear today?" I said "I expected to hear what my weakest trait would be." they then asked "What is your weakest trait."   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at First Data (Jersey City, NJ) in July 2016.

Interview

I was referred by a friend. HR called within days and scheduled some face to face interviews within a couple of weeks. I thought the interviews went well, but I wasn't offered the position, however, I was referred to another department for another position. I was also passed over to another HR rep. This process dragged on for MONTHS, to the point where I finally stopped following up with HR.

In the end I had a total of 9 interviews over the span of 4 months. I did a final check-in and the HR person finally said they decided to go with another candidate. A couple of the interviews felt like an interrogation and others like they were just going thru the motions. They also had me take some financial acumen/cognitive tests online which were very cumbersome.

Overall I felt like they wasted a whole lot of my time (and money, it takes money to interview face to face!). The interview process needs a lot of refinement!

Interview Questions

• Tell me exactly how you met your numbers, tell me specific financial numbers you achieved?   Answer Question

Case Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marietta, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at First Data (Marietta, GA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who set up the interview with the department manager. Interviewer was late and kept me waiting for about 30 minutes in the lobby. After the interview I never heard from the representatives again.

Interview Questions

• Very basic questions. How would you handle various situations.   Answer Question

Accounting Supervisor Interview

Interview

I was first in touch with the executive assistant who set up the interview. Though I arrived very early I ended up being a few minutes late to the conference room because First Data's campus is large/confusing and I wasn't sure which building to go to. (If you ever interview here, go to the MAIN building. Arrive as early as possible because parking is non-existent.)
    The interview went fine, I thought. It was with 3 people in the Accounting/Finance dept. The interviewer asked questions about my experience and mostly how I've handled and would handle certain situations. I left thinking that I would hear back within a week or so because they were looking to hire someone soon.
    Well, it's been 3 weeks or more and I haven't heard anything at all from them even after my follow-up email. Unfortunately, that gives me a negative impression of the company. If I take time away from my current job to drive there and interview for 2 hours, the LEAST you can do is let me know whether I've been chosen or not. I can deal with rejection but let me know that I've been rejected! Job seekers are expected to be professional but employers need to do the same.
    I'm guessing I wasn't selected and that's fine. I hope they find/have found a great person to fill the role.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled conflict with someone you've supervised?   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waco, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at First Data (Waco, TX).

Interview

I was recruited through e-mail to apply for a business consultant position. The process took about two weeks and included an online personality assessment and a phone interview. The interview questions were average and the online assessment took about an hour or two. They give you a week or so to take the online assessment, but I would suggest taking it as soon as possible if you are interested in the position.

Interview Questions

• How would you overcome objections while attempting to make a sale?   1 Answer
    • Why should I hire you over someone else?   Answer Question