First Derivatives Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

First Derivatives Software Engineer Interview Questions

2.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview

Applied online received an email shortly to schedule an interview. Was interviewed by HR it was extremely brief, 15 mins tops. The interviewer acknowledged my experience and how much I knew about FD. I was later emailed that all positions had been filled but that they were interested in keeping my resume on file in case a position was available.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for First Derivatives

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at First Derivatives (Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Sent my CV and covering letter, was e-mailed to attend an interview day. Had two face to face interviews and a logic test. First interview was with a man, other reviews on glassdoor described him as hostile and confrontational. I thought he was fine, just direct. The other interview was with a woman, it was a little more easy-going. Finally there was a logic test, involving tracing various flow charts.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First Derivatives (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)) in February 2012.

Interview

I applied directly to First Derivatives by submitting my CV and was in contact via their HR department. I was offered a telephone interview within a matter of weeks and was told it would be quite a technical interview.

Having interview3ed with financial firms before I know that they like in-depth knowledge of C/C++, STL, certain algorithms and strong maths in general. I had prepared for this. Instead I was just asked about my previous experience; nothing that they couldn't read from my CV. There were no leading questions, nothing designed to highlight any deficiencies or strong suits. They seemed keen to explore my knowledge of TCP/IP and RTP but only after I had mentioned it. The crunch point was when I asked about how much SIP messaging they did. There was a laugh in the background from one of the panel listening in as I was told "That's pretty much all we do". I found this highly irregular.

Things went downhill from here. Figuring I had nothing to lose I highlighted that I didn't have the required A grade in A-level maths that HR should have picked up on, but that I was sure I could pass their programming test. I also asked for a quick turnaround time as I had other roles on. Sure enough a few days later I was turned down for the 2nd stage face to face.

While I don't mind rejection based on academic criteria I find it odd to have been offered a telephone interview knowing that this should have been picked up on. I also don't appreciate panels laughing in the background given what was a genuine question (although admittedly one that could sound rather naive)

If asked to apply again I would, although I'd make sure I redid my A-level maths grade and did any interviews face to face. Preferably with someone who has better interview skills and more polite company.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between TCP/IP and UDP   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First Derivatives (Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)) in October 2010.

Interview

One of the most easiest interviews I have done TBH. I applied with two other of my class mates but who had 1st while I only have a 2.1 but some how I was the only one who got called for an interview.

Got there and I was put in a room with 6 other people who where being interviewed. Went up the board room and they did a run though of what was going to happen. They spilt us up into two groups one had to listen to a very attractive girl give a presentation on the company while the others did two 1:1 interviews. Then it switched, the interviews where very easy like just asking about my course at college, would I be willing to learn the business side and work from Newry. But they asked me for my Leaving Cert results (which arent the best) and I think this was a big factor because I was got an email a few days later saying that I was a person of interest and they may call on me if they have any projects coming up and need to hire someone quick. But 6 weeks later I got an email saying that after reviewing my file they were not going to offer me a position.

They seem to be very keen on you academic record but still a very easy interview compared to other ones I have had which lasted 4 hours while FD was over and done with in less then an hour.

One of my friends works there and for his interview they had to a phone interview, 1:1 interviews and a group exercise while I only had to two 1:1 interviews.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to learn the business side of things   Answer Question