First New York Securities LLC Interview Questions | Glassdoor

First New York Securities LLC Interview Questions

3.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at First New York Securities LLC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at First New York Securities LLC (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

The process wasn't too time consuming. I submitted an online application. Through networking, I secured an interview. If I hadn't done that, who knows how long it would have taken to get an interview. The interviewer was courteous and didn't try to kill me with tough questions. It was a cordial interaction and was roughly one hour.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something that I wouldn't know just by looking at your resume.   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at First New York Securities LLC in August 2014.

Interview

first one-on-one interview followed two weeks later by two sequential one-on-one interviews. Typical questions asked at first: why First NY? why this particular team? what do you know about options and the Greeks? walk me through your resume. It was mostly fit questions and convincing them that I wanted to be at their firm in particular, and using my resume and experiences to justify my answer.

Interview Questions

• what trading books have you read? what stocks do you follow? why First NY?   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First New York Securities LLC (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Met with hiring executive. Was there on day markets were down big so the executive was preoccupied with more important things like making sure the firm was not losing too much money. I don't blame him for having his mind elsewhere.I offered to come back another day. the place was obviously not right for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First New York Securities LLC (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Interview process was not difficult until the 1:1 interview with a senior trader. He asked a series of difficulty questions in which the right answer was not obvious. They were more aimed to put me on edge, rather than assess technical skills. Personality questions were abundant, including scales 1-10.
    Nice interviewer, but difficult questions and rather abrupt exit.

Interview Questions

• What's the worst thing that's ever happened to you?   1 Answer

Trader Trainee, Macro Rates Desk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First New York Securities LLC (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Had a series of 8 interviews over the course of 3 days. Macro rates guys were very intense and drilled market knowledge, bond math, brain teasers: put the pressure on too. Equity guys were more relaxed. Seemed like a pretty solid company, but the interview process was very protracted; the biggest fault there seemed to be their outdated technology (but they just hired a new CTO).

Interview Questions

• one minute timed math test, while being asked questions simultaneously (what is duration? where is the euro trading? GC? 10 yr nominal? etc...)   Answer Question
    • what is the most important quality of a trader?   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at First New York Securities LLC (New York, NY) in January 2008.

Interview

Basically, you need to be prepared to sit down and talk markets and trading. As in, you have to know what you are talking about. They'll interview a lot of people but a pretty selective in who they accept. They want day traders (or people who are close to it). You need to a grind it out kind of prop trader. Overnight positions are fine, but consistent day to day profitable traders.

Assistant Trader Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at First New York Securities LLC in December 2009.

Interview

Interview focuses on interest in and personal experience with trading, overcoming failure, and managing risk. Strong interest in financial markets is a must. For example, give examples of trades in personal account; will then need to be able to defend why you chose to do xyz - no right answer but looking for analytical mindset with a clear defined system in place for making decisions.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to defend past trades you have made against a panel of experienced traders. What was your rationale behind it, how did you measure the risk of your trade, what was your entry and exit strategy, what did you learn etc?   Answer Question