First Republic Bank Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 10, 2018

2.8

58 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

After working with a recruiter and a couple phone screens with current Quantitative Analysts, I got invited to on-site interviews.

The interviews with the Quantitative Analysts were a bit all over the place. One asked me to solve the Monty Hall and Blind Islanders brain teasers, I walked another through my resume and past projects, and behavioral questions were scattered throughout. FWIW, I think asking good questions to the interviewers can make a candidate stand out.

In terms of technical skills, I would be ready to whiteboard SQL (self-join) and be able to articulate verbally how linear and logistic regression work.

Overall, the team fosters hacker mindsets with its members, deals with interesting challenges, and has a brilliant manager overseeing it. That said, it's still early in its development internally in the bank, deals with a flood of ad hoc requests, and it may be tough to convince some candidates to leave tech for banking. Candidates will have to think through these trade-offs while interviewing here.

Interview Questions

• Why doesn't logistic regression use R^2? (not looking for exact answer, just want to hear thinking)   Answer Question

Solutions Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

interviewed by a recruiter with technical questions followed by an interview with an engineer. Initial Telephonic technical interviewer and recruiter called to say very good feedback . Scheduled onsite with Senior Management for day long session. It was cut short during second interview where person supposed to interview arrived 20 mins late, asked couple of questions while browsing on ipad on work stuff. A lunch session was scheduled after wards but hiring manager came by and cancelled remaining interviews ignoring that as well and was let go. Overall glad not selected and sounded disorganized process where initially was told great experience and feedback but got rejected for exact same experience by Senior Manager. I even told one interviewer to ask me actual questions as interviewer kept describing company culture. Other than first onsite interviewer felt immature, disorganized and team members amongst themselves dont know what r they looking for. See lot of improvements to enable better experience.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself, describe a problem you have solved.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I was brought in for an initial interview with two HR team members. They asked general interview questions and did not seem that engaged in what I was saying. I think it would have been more productive if they asked specific questions. The interview took half the time that was allotted and was very dry. It would have been more efficient if a phone interview was conducted first. I already knew I didn't want to work there by the time I walked out.

Interview Questions

• What stands out as your highest accomplishment in your career.   Answer Question

Service Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied on their website online and was contacted by a recruiter the next day. He scheduled a 30-minute phone screening with me where he asked general interview questions and went over my background and resume with me. Afterwards, he scheduled an on-site interview for me with two senior employees, a team lead, and a manager. Two of the employees were present via video conference call while the other two interviewed me in-person. The interview consisted of going over my prior work experience as well as a portion where they asked me technical questions to gauge my knowledge and thought process. I was contacted by my recruiter a few days afterwards to let me know that my interview was received positively and that they would like to move forward with me and bring me on their team. I subsequently filled out a background request form and was fingerprinted the next week. I received my offer letter after this was complete.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you went above and beyond in your work responsibility.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with the hiring manager discussing educational background and what exactly I am interested in with regards to quantitative finance. Then flew into the San Francisco office to meet with 7-8 people from the team including the VP's (on my own expense I may add). The interviews went smoothly, I was assured that they would be in contact with me very soon. After four weeks went by, I had to constantly reach out to the recruiter since the hiring manager and the team completely ignored my emails and calls and the recruiter told me they are looking for someone with 5 years of experience and I only had 2 years at the time. Total waste of time.

Interview Questions

• What is the sum of the numbers between 1 and 50? Some basic statistics/programming questions. Given this graph what distribution would you use and why.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Got contacted on Linkedin -> an intro phone call -> a semi-technical phone call with a quantitative analyst -> was told the full time positions are filled, there were only 6-month contract positions left and it was not a contract to hire.

It was weird when the company reached out to you and then told you that there were only contract positions left. The phone calls all went great, but things happened.

Sr Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Had more than 10 rounds of interview which was exhausting. However it gave me an idea of who I'd be working with and made me feel comfortable that I am getting into the right culture for me. There was a brief phone screen by the hiring manager initially after which he seemed to be sold. The rest of the interviews were essentially for the team to feel ok.

Interview Questions

• Talk about one challenging situation you handled.   1 Answer

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone call screen with Lead engineers. Then a half day onsite with 4-5 people that lead the groups I would work with. Very cool group of people. By far one of the most enjoyable teams I've interviewed with.

Preferred Banker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

They bring you in and then ask certain questions about the job and how you would fit in. Prepare answers beforehand so you do not freeze during questioning. They might even switch off to have another interview come in after you already have done an interview.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First Republic Bank (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

(1) Telephone interview with the recruiter, if all goes well with the "walk me through your resume"interview, you are passed along to the
    (2) Hiring Manager Interview: This is a one hour discussion to brief the candidate on the role and assess technical and project management skill.
    (3) Following this, if the hiring manager likes the outcome of the discussion, he will pass you to the next levels, an afternoon where you will meet 4-5 of his peers, each for 30 minutes, and you will have some behavioral interviews, some case based interviews and some open questions. You will finish the day with the hiring manager, who will then inform you of the overall hiring timeline for the role.
    (4) Provided most interviewers are in agreement with the hiring manager, you will be asked to fill out a background request form.

(5) Once all information is in, the hiring manager will make an informed decision. Start to finish, the process runs 2-3 weeks.

Best of luck!

Interview Questions

• There is a great deal of concern about cultural fit. Make sure you understand FRBs culture and how it is different from other banks. You will be asked "Are you a good fit with the culture of our company?"   1 Answer