First Student School Bus Driver Interview Questions | Glassdoor

First Student School Bus Driver Interview Questions

Updated May 5, 2017

1.8

Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Student (Fairbanks, AK) in January 2017.

Interview

Hiring was pleasant and at first they made it sound like a great place too start. Wasn't until you actually get into the job and the process that you understand.

Interview Questions

• Asked how we handled kids.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for First Student

Anonymous Employee in Havana, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at First Student (Havana, IL).

Interview

I basically sat and spoke with the interviewer about how/why I got started driving, what I liked about driving, didn't like as much, and the hours and type of driving I preferred.

Interview Questions

• Just talked about experience and other basics   2 Answers

School Bus Driver Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First Student.

Interview

Very short interview overall. I don't think I answered more than 5 questions total. Most of them were simple yes or no answers and it just felt like a formality that they had to go through because they seem to be hiring anyone who walks through the door. They do require you to bring in a copy of your driving record to the interview.

Interview Questions

• Q: You dropped a disabled child off at her stop on the afternoon run, but when you get home and are about to have dinner you get a call saying they never came home. What do you do?   2 Answers

School Bus Driver Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at First Student.

Interview

Generallynph you go in fill out the application. The interview is a joke. I was told they only do it cause they have no choice lol. They hire pretty much everyone who applies

Anonymous Employee in Palm Springs, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at First Student (Palm Springs, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview lead by Elba Vasquez. We were told the rules and regulations and what was expected there at the company. To me it was fake due to the fact that they did not want me there anyways. I was harassed the whole time until they said I was unfit for the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult situation, and what was the solution?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Don't apply unless you have three months to work for free.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Student (DeKalb, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

It was a easy interview, the questions were all related to the job and simple to answer. there wasn't any negotiation involved. The people that questioned me were friendly and honest. I ended up not taking the job because of the first month receiving no pay and only being guaranteed 20 hours a week. the benefits are also way too expensive for what i want to pay into.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you would be able to handle any unruly students or those with special needs?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at First Student (Cincinnati, OH) in November 2015.

Interview

There is no interpersonal interview! Nobody is going to ask vague questions or pass judgement.
    You just need to fill in paperwork; pass background, drug, medical tests; and get the license. (All that data is quite important. Safety is paramount. It will expose your doctors' level of care of you, if there are any medical issues to get under control. And medical issues must get under control to proceed.) About 2 weeks of training is unpaid. The remaining approx. two months is paid at half full driver's rate. You can get a lower-paid Monitor job while training for additional pay. After passing all tests and licensing, you're immediately assigned a bus route.

Interview Questions

• Do you already have a Commercial Driver License? (Class A or B with Passenger and School Bus endorsements is required to actually drive kids.)   2 Answers

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. It is a "Union Shop". Nobody can work there unless they join the union, and the union negotiates pay and benefits.

School Bus Driver Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First Student in July 2015.

Interview

Very quick, same day as i turned in my application. The interviewer was a little on the rude side but she has been recently. She would ask a generic "name a situtation in your life" type of question but proceed to interrupt you as you answer to give you a personal story and tell you not to interrupt her.

Interview Questions

• Name a time where you had to deal with a difficult situation, and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hesperia, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at First Student (Hesperia, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I submitted my app online got a call asking if I would consider a different location interviewed at the new location a few days later, by the end of the week I received an email to come to their orientation. There is no paid training, part-time only. Drug test and background are done after training.

Interview Questions

• Just asked basic situational questions, have you worked with children before.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mazomanie, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at First Student (Mazomanie, WI).

Interview

Hiring process is long and there's a lot of paperwork. The interview is super easy, basically if you like kids, or don't, you get the job as long as you pass all of the background checks, drug tests and driving record checks

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, this terminal is covered by a union, so you get to pay $150 to the teamsters in your first 5 weeks. Also, training is like 4 weeks long and you don't get paid for it until a month after you're done training.