Fisher Investments Investment Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Fisher Investments Investment Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2016

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Camas, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

After applying online, they call and set up a phone conversation with an in-house recruiter. After that, is a phone interview with a hiring manager. I've been through this process twice, and both times made the trip out to Camas, WA. Despite my extreme distaste for the firm's interview practices, I actually had legitimate and significant interest in both the position and the firm. That distaste comes from the overall experience during and after the in-person interview. The second time around, a senior person actually gave very positive feedback and said there would be a quick turn-around on the decision. They then missed their self-imposed deadline to call me. Further, I had to send an email to them after that deadline in order to get any response. My guess is that if they find a candidate lacking in some facet, they are "relaxed" about their communication after they make that decision. However, that is only my own opinion and is only supported with my own anecdotal evidence. To anyone making the trip to Camas, I would say that you should take any positive feedback from the interviewers with a huge grain of salt. Obviously, this firm should only be one of several employment options for any candidate, but they have a major tendency to give overly positive feedback, seemingly regardless of the actual interest on their part. I think that happens for two reasons: (1) The interviewers are trying to walk a thin line and honestly want to not put anyone off, and (2) They are majorly afraid of lawsuits regarding their hiring practices. The first point is an assumption on my part, because I genuinely believe that the majority of interviewers are good people and want to make the candidates comfortable. The second point is once again my own personal judgment based mostly on my own anecdotal evidence. They always refuse to give ANY reason for declining a candidate. This says to me that they are indeed leery of being at risk of potential lawsuits for hiring practices. Again, that is my own impression, so it may indeed be completely off-base. It actually saddens me that the firm acts in this way, mostly because I had positive opinions of the position and the firm until this happened. I hope that I am wrong about most or all of this, but the appearances are what they are in this case. Good luck to anyone who gets an in-person interview. Be aware of the process and set expectations accordingly.

Interview Questions

• The questions were basic ones that focused on your resume points, as well as a couple articles that they send you before the in-person interview.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Fisher Investments

Investment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

The recruiter that was supposed to call me never bothered to call. After I called the person who set up the interview, I got a call from a different recruiter saying that the original recruiter was out of the office.

I was told I'd hear back in 4-5 days, but after 7 days, and several messages, they finally called back to let me know that the hiring manager, who I had never spoken to, chose to not move forward with my candidacy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Vancouver, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted via LinkedIn by recruiter. I agreed to a 15 min conversations where they explain to you the role, location and pay ranges. The pay ranges was way lower of my current (60% of my current) for what they suggested other possible positions.
    There was another 1 hour interview over the phone where they asked me market related questions. For example, what was my opinion on certain investment based on xyz situation. I thought the one interviewing me was very intelligent I apparently he liked me because he invited me to come to Vancouver, Wa . As I just mentioned they made it seem that the office was in Portland, but it is more like 25-30 min away from Portland. I thought Vancouver is beautiful. I come from a pretty big city and I had never seem so much virgin land and big houses before. However, be aware that this may not be the best place for a young professional as it seems boring and even if you do make it to Portland, it is a beautiful city but not as vibrant as other cities in other places.
    They paid for my stay and all logistics to get to them for what I really thanked them. Victoria was an admin person who was just amazing and very caring to make sure everything went well to get there.
    I was I think overqualified with several designations, master degrees and language skills, I think they were looking for a person who really good telephone skills who is not very interested in financial planning.
    Overall great experience to having gone. I thought the open floor plan was clever for team work, but people did not seem to be very engaged. It looks like it can get very monotonous (like my current job, it's finance after all)

Investment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments in January 2016.

Interview

I received a call from a recruiter who asked if I would be open to learning about the investment counselor role. I agreed. The call came the following week from a very nice young man with a "hip" California style. He asked me my present thoughts on the stock market? We had a nice conversation except when he told me (in not so forward a way) that I was going to have to LOSE my series 7. Needless to say, I didn't ask to continue the process. A firm takes away a series 7; sounded to me like that were trying to reduce my economic value.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about the present global economy?
      Is now a good time to invest?
      What's a good way to invest right now given the volatility?
      Answer Question

They were going to force me to lose my series 7.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Denver, CO) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online from an Indeed ad. Initial phone interview was very general, with typical questions about my background, what I know about Fisher. Interviewer scheduled me for a second interview over Skype-like service.

Interview Questions

• How did we get here? Tell me about yourself. How do you see yourself working in the Fisher Environment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I had a quick initial phone screen, followed up by a more detailed phone interview of about 45 minutes. At the time of interview I had several years of investment experience and analysis, and impressive credentials, but no sales experience (buy-side). I suspected that while the role was advertised as advisory, they do want a salesman attitude from their candidates and didn't really care what sort of investment experience one had. After reading the reviews on Glassdoor, I am sure this is the case with this company. I wasn't surprised when they didn't go forward with me, not a good fit on my end or theirs. No hard feelings, but according to some reviews here it seems like I sure dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Are you bullish or bearish on the stock market, and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I submitted a resume to a recruiter based on a basic job description. I received a quick return email to set up a phone conversation. This phone conversation was about 20 minutes and fairly easy. From here my resume was submitted to Fisher. the next day Fisher contacted my and to set up an interview with their internal recruiter over the phone. It was an easy and conversational interview. This was Fisher's initial interview which would have led to an additional interview.

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of in your career?   1 Answer

Investment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

I went through 3 phone interviews with Fisher, starting with a general HR recruiter, then progressing to an Investment Counselor recruiter, and finally interviewing with an Investment Counselor Manager (hiring manager). After the 3rd interview, Fisher contacted me to complete a formal, online application (including regulatory questions, personal profile info like SSN & birthdate, and 3 industry-specific references). My contact told me the next step would be for him to circulate my file to several hiring managers, and then if selected for further steps, they'd bring me in for an in-person panel interview. Unfortunately, I wasn't selected at this time. I felt good about my interviews, but knew I would be in competition with others. The most frustrating part of this process is they told me the company's policy was not to say anything about the reason why I wasn't selected. No feedback at all.

Interview Questions

• The 2nd and 3rd interviewers wanted to talk with me about the economy, markets, etc. This was actually the route I was hoping they'd go, as I wanted an opportunity to demonstrate my conversational style of talking about investments, i.e., the way I would talk with a Fisher client as an Investment Counselor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments (Camas, WA).

Interview

Applied via the website and was contacted by a recruiter the next day. Very straight forward questions about work experience, background and likes/dislikes of current job. If looking at a job in the Camas office, I strongly recommend spending a good couple of days checking out the area before making a decision to relocate as it's not the greatest location, unless you're married with kids (if you are, it's ideal).

Interview Questions

• Examples of leadership and value add (sales) in previous jobs. Really pressed to try and get folks to say negative things, which was off-putting.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be firm on what you want to make here, they'll try to offer you the least they can get away with.

Investment Counselor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

One phone screen, one phone interview. One meet and greet dinner in my area followed by short in person interview. Flew out for another panel interview with a 3 managers followed by more short one on ones.with each manager. 4 hour process. More intense than other interview processes with past firms.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offered at my high range expectation for comp. The moving reimbursement ended up only covering half of moving expenses. Should have asked for more there but I didn't have time to get moving estimates before accepting.