Five Guys Burgers & Fries General Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.3

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Burlington, WA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very informal and relaxed. The interview questions were very basic and not very open ended. The individual performing the interview needed to better prepare prior to initiating the interview. However, the store was very clean and the atmosphere was inviting which prompted me to want to give this company a try.

Interview Questions

• How does your experience line up with the Five Guys brand?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application on line trough a third party site. I did not hear back from anyone. One day, about 3 weeks later, a DM and recruiter who were preparing a restaurant just down the street from my current company came in for lunch. I engaged them in conversation and mentioned my recent application. After an exchange of business cards I received a call several hours later to arrange a formal interview with the DM. Two days later I had an offer and accepted two days after that.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Five Guys?   Answer Question
    • What type of leader are you and how did you become that type of leader?   Answer Question
    • What would you make your biggest focus initially as a General Manager?   Answer Question
    • How do you control your budget/ P&L?   Answer Question
    • What type of work day are you used to? How flexible are you to opening, closing, working according to the needs of your restaurant?   Answer Question

Negotiation

During my interview I was asked what salary I was looking for and I gave a range that was as low as I would accept up to the highest reported salary I was able to find for the General Manager position. The offer I received was near the bottom of my range so I asked for them to consider another $3K. After a couple of days they responded with a yes to my counter-offer.

Anonymous Employee in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Puyallup, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Responded to advertisement on Indeed, Emailed back and forth with a lady and got an interview.
    Showed up at the interview and the place was locked as they didnt open for another 2 hrs. Called the store and the store manager wasn't aware of me showing up until after he let me in and called a few people.

Overall the interview went well. We chatted about the position and various other stuff. Got a second interview with the DM (district manager) for the next day. Will update as soon as the interview is over .

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Seattle, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Drove 4 hours to meet the owner of 2 locations. Met at a local coffee shop. In the end, he said I had answered all his questions before he could ask them, but said that I was exactly what he was looking for.

Interview Questions

• What kind of compensation are you looking for?   1 Answer
    • Would you be willing to take less than that until you completed training? After like 2weeks, I'll give you a raise, then after 30 days I'd have you where you want to be, but until then, I'd rather not make it so all the employees who've been there for so long right now find out that you're making more than them, because they might quit. So would you be willing to accept $10/hr to start, and I'll be able to add a few dollars to that number myself, but it'd be with payroll because everyone can see your salary on the computer in the office, would that be okay? I promise I'll have you up to where you want to be after you've proven you can do the job as you say you can. Sound good?   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

Interview

Called on the phone, met in person, tested knowledge of the food industry, hired by a franchise owner not corporate to run multiple stores. I had already been a former employee and knew the setup.

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

Interview

First contacted for phone screen with recruiter, then in person interview. Recruiter was standard questions, though very nice. In person interview was odd because it was myself being interviewed by two District Managers and their boss. Typical managerial interview questions, although be careful, they like to use what you say against you when they lowball you .

Interview Questions

• What do you mean our concept is simple?   1 Answer

After one 30 minute interview, they liked me enough to make an offer that was several thousand dollars less than my current salary. During the interview, they mentioned that my salary was within their range.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (San Diego, CA) in July 2009.

Interview

Hiring process almost 3 months

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to wait 3 months or more for the hiring process?   Answer Question

Negotiation

General Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

Interview

Really disappointed and poor . The recruiter promised me to call for a telephonic chat within a hour , never got the call. I called back after a week and had my first interview. Few day later got call for a trial shift. Spend 5 hours on a trail shift. Disappointed to see no one knew that I am due for a trail shift.
    A few day later got an email saying we wont be processing your application to interview stage ,after 2 interview and a trial shift. No one in the trial shift to give feedback or take your feedback .Glad not gone further.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

The district manager was late, very unprofessional and very unprepared for the interview. I had applied for the general manager position as per their ad, however the district manager told me that all employees started as crew member, had he told me of this when he had called me for an interview, I would have never gone for the interview as I was looking for a supervisory role. This was a complete waste of time.

Interview Questions

• tell me about yourself, what do you know about 5 guys, what are your strengths   Answer Question

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (London, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

I was approached by recruitment manager and he went through some questions on the phone and asked me to come for group interview. I went to the interview venue we were given a brief background of the company and at the end we were invited for a trail shift to one of the five guys in London. I went for the trail shift and met with multi unit manager and store manager they gave me uniform and left me in kitchen for 4 to 5 hours for just cooking and shaking the fries at the end of my shift I was asked to cut full bag of potatoes (25kg) and I had to cut all potatoes in just 5 minutes I was able to cut all potatoes in just 3:35 minutes after cutting potatoes I did not feel my arms for some time. Now the multi unit manager and store manager sat with me and gave me NO feedback about my performance and started asking me questions about the role and my previous employment history and I managed to answer all of the questions. I was released after five and half hours I felt very disappointed the way treated me. My arms were very pain full for the next 4 days and I was expecting to hear that I am hired but unfortunately I got a rejection email after few days I would suggest if you are offered a trail shift please make clear that you want some time to learn about the company not cooking fries only because you are applying for a general manager position and you should be able to ask many questions and get some time to have chat with other team members but that was not the case in my situation I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY VERY BAD EXPERIENCE

Interview Questions

• Many questions were based on my previous employment history and some competency questions   Answer Question