FivePrime Therapeutics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

FivePrime Therapeutics Interview Questions

Interviews at FivePrime Therapeutics

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FivePrime Therapeutics (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Two months of interviews consisting of 2 phone screens by the Software Engineering manager and a Systems Engineer. Was offered in-person interview, where I paid for the flight to be later reimbursed. In-person interview was 4 hours with 7 rounds, 1 person per round. Non-responsive HR communication post-interview. I had to initiate follow-ups on interview status and reimbursements. Rejected one month later. Flight reimbursement took over 1 month to receive email confirmation. Reimbursement check received 3 months post-interview. Later received another receipt 6 months post-interview by the Systems Engineer, not HR. Overall interview experience was good until post-interview. Everything following the interview was not handled professionally, in a timely manner (no timeline given) and lacked organization and communication.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral from HR and cultural fit questions from clinical scientists. Technical interview included basic programming questions (JavaScript, scope, algorithms) on paper and whiteboarding for algorithm design for medium-difficulty real-world problems that they have.   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FivePrime Therapeutics in June 2018.

Interview

I had a phone interview where I talked with the hiring manager. She was very friendly and knowledgeable and asked me detailed questions about the scientific experience I had described on my resume.

Interview Questions

• Explain in detail how you used x technique; what were the challenges and how did you overcome them?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at FivePrime Therapeutics (South San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

On site interview with hiring manager and rest of the team was pleasant but HR was rude and unprofessional. Stay away! I thought HR was supposed to be pleasant and be a people person, but not at Five Prime. Way to set the bar super low, HR!

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FivePrime Therapeutics.

Interview

I applied through their website, but was also contacted by several freelance recruiters about this position. A couple weeks after I applied, someone from HR contacted me via phone to set-up a later time to have a phone interview. It seemed a bit strange; if you're going to call me, why not just have the phone interview right then? The phone interview with HR felt a bit like an interrogation; it was not very conversational. It seemed like she was just going down a list of HR questions. Next was a phone interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager also asked a lot of questions, but she was better at making it more of a conversation and the questions were more relevant. I was told that if I made it past the phone interviews, I would then be asked to come in for a half day to meet with people. Candidates who make it past that round are then invited for a full-day interview with a presentation. It seemed like a long process. I never finished the process because I accepted an offer from another company.

Interview Questions

• HR Questions:
      1) What was most challenging at Company X? What did you like the most?
      2) Who didn't you like working with at Company X?
      3) What are the types of people you find difficult to work with?
      4) When did you have to make an unpopular decision?
      5) What did you do at Company X?
      6) Why did you leave Company X
      7) When have you received negative feedback and how did you respond?

Hiring Manager Questions:
      1) Tell me about your experience. How did you end up at Company X?
      2) What was the experiment that you were most excited/had fun with?
      3) How were your collaborations? Did you experience any difficulties with that?
      4) What do you think is a really big scientific question?
      5) What has been your experience with timelines in industry?
      6) Was there pushback/tension when timelines were not realistic?
      7) What techniques or skills are you interested in learning?
      8) What are you looking for in your career, 5 years from now?   Answer Question

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FivePrime Therapeutics.

Interview

This was just a phone interview and no follow up from the company so far. I was approached by the hiring manager directly by email confirming the best time for a phone interview. The interview took roughly 30 min and the questions were basically to check if I have the skills that this position requires. The manager seemed to follow a checklist. She did asked a few questions about my previous working and education experience. The question that I do not feel comfortable is that "can you start in three weeks". It looks like they are looking for someone really urgently and this is not for a long term plan. When I said I need to talk to my boss as there are a few outstanding things that may need some time for handover, she said this is a common practice in industry. The manager seemed to use a hand free phone that had a very bad sound quality. I had to asked her to repeated several questions as most of her high-pitched sound cannot be heard. I am not a native speaker but I have never had such issues with other phone interviews.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at FivePrime Therapeutics (South San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied on LinkedIn then a month later was contacted for a phone screen. Two weeks later asked for an on-site meeting and met with several groups including payroll, HR coordinator, HR Director and a group of other employees who have interacted with HR but do not work closely with the team.

Overall, I thought it was a waste of time. In the beginning I wasn't sure if I did well in the interview so I was surprised I was called back for an on-site interview. I thought the on-site went somewhat well but also was caught off guard with some questions as the second panel I met with had no idea what my position would be doing and only thought of a general HR job - not part of my responsibilities! I felt that some of the interviewees already had their mind made up and I already deduced that it was between me and another person but they were leaning more towards the other candidate.

Why even bring me in if you already had decided? I had to take time off my current job to drive down to SSF.

The biggest blow was trying to follow up with the manager. She was responsive in the beginning but then completely ghosted me after I tried to follow up. I know it's typical for some employers to just not get back to candidates if they didn't get the job, but c'mon you leave a bad experience to future and potential clients/candidates. I would have been happy with just an email from a coordinator or admin saying "Thank you but we went with another candidate".

I will not recommend anyone to this company or even think about working with them in the future. Your loss.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of time you experienced a conflict and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Engineering Intern Interview

Interview

I was invited by my supervisor and explained what my role will be. I don't remember the questions but I know none of the questions were hard. The process took almost 2 hours. T

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Skype and email communication with hiring manager, on-site interview with HR, hiring manager, scientists and RAs from department, and department head. The focus was on skills and knowledge and then on ability to work well with team.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at FivePrime Therapeutics (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and within a week received an email from their HR department requesting a telephone interview. The e-mail requested me to submit several dates and times that I was available. I was contacted by HR. The interview was conducted by an in-house HR representative. She basically was screening me for my ability to perform the required skills for the position.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer was cordial but I could tell simply wanted to get straight to the questions. I was asked the following questions:
      What type of person do I find the most challenging type?
      Have I had to work with such a person and how did I deal with that co-worker?
      Why am I seeking a position with Five Prime?
      What level of expertise did I possess for some technical skills specific to the job I was applying for
      How long ago was it that I performed these on the job skills?
      Do I currently have any interviews or job offers?

Thanks to previous Glass Door reviews I was COMPLETELY prepared for the questions asked! Thanks.   1 Answer

Research Associate II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FivePrime Therapeutics in August 2018.

Interview

Applied online, 2 weeks later received an email to schedule a phone interview . Phone interview was extremely brief; they didn't read my resume beforehand. They asked me why I wanted to move out of the area, and realized after I replied that I was on my last semester at my university. Rejected on the spot; they needed someone immediately. Interviewer was nice, but wished they had caught that beforehand.