Flight Centre Travel Group Travel Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Flight Centre Travel Group Travel Consultant Interview Questions

Updated May 4, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane, ND

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Brisbane, ND) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview - be confident and clear you will be spending time on phone making bookings so important you come across well.
Main interview is 6 hours - looking at your knowledge of the industry and how you come across . Be yourself be honest enjoy it. It's mentally exhausting but if you want it enough this should not matter .

Interview Questions

• Give an example of you giving excellent customer service and what was the outcome of this?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Flight Centre Travel Group

Travel Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group.

Interview

I have applied for Travel Consultant job. I have got response within 5 days and had phone interview for 10 mints. The lady was nice and asked me few questions about my experiences, favourite destinations etc etc. I was confident talking to her and thought will go through next stage. I asked her when will I know if i am successful or unsuccessful. She said they are doing more phone interview today so they will let me know next day. I am still waiting for an email/call for outcome of my phone interview its been over a week and I havent heard anything even if its No atleast inform so dont need to keep checking phone or email. I have many interviews not all of them were successful but always got response from recruitment team even if its NO. I think its so unprofessional and put me off.

Interview Questions

• why do u want to work for FC?
      what is your fvt destination?
      what can you bring to our team?
      Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Auckland (New Zealand)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Auckland (New Zealand)).

Interview

1 week after applying, I received an email congratulating me on making it through to the interview process, I was then prompted to go to a link to choose and interview time. I picked a time for the following day, the HR lady rang a few minutes late, the questions I was asked:

I answered all questions with ease as I was well prepared and I am well travelled and experienced.
    The only thing I can think of was that my salary expectations were too high.. from further research it looks as though I dodged a bullet and it seems like not a very nice cultured workplace with extremely long hours and poor pay, so pretty pleased it didn't progress further.
    It took 4 weeks after the interview for them to email me telling me I wasn't successful.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Flight centre?
      What are your strengths?
      Where have you travelled?
      What are your salary expectations? don't dream of saying anything over $40k as you will not progress further as I learnt the hard way.
      Your best travel experience?
      What do you know about flight centre
      Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Brisbane (Australia)) in April 2017.

Interview

The process was around 5 weeks from applying online to receiving an offer.
    After sending my application in I was sent a link to organize a phone interview (around 2 weeks later). The phone interview was pretty easy, they asked questions like why I wanted to work for flight centre, previous experience, travel experience and told me all about the role!
    Just make sure you speak clear and reading through glass door reviews before you will be well prepared for the phone call.
    At the end of the call she invited me to attend a assessment day in Brisbane the following week.

Before the assessment day you are required to do a psychometric test, most of it is easy except the time stages! don't panic too much about it just try your best!

The assessment day was at FC HQ in Brisbane, and is for anyone applying within Queensland.
    When we arrived we started off by filling in forms and having a chat to everyone else there, we had about 20 people at our assessment day, this was followed by a presentation about FC.

note: each assessment is carried out by a different recruiter, they then make decisions as a group, to who they think has potential.

The assessment day included the following activities in the morning;
    1. You have 5 mins to get to know your partner then sell them to the group- the point of this task is to showcase your selling skills, so make sure you focus on that aspect!
    2. Geography and Maths Quiz- The geography test was easy especially for experience travelers! The questions were about landmarks, capitals, name places on maps, national airline carriers etc. The maths quiz was a scenario where you had to organize a trip for a family, they supply all the information and a calculator! I found this easy as I process a lot of quotes and use similar maths in my job, make sure you know %'s and pay attention to the details in the questions.
    3. Sell a holiday to a recruiter- I think they purposely choose a destination you haven't been too, I noticed they originally wrote down London for me, but changed it to LA when they saw I had been to London! just make sure to ask who, what, where, why, when and up sell! insurance etc, make sure you get a deposit or organize a follow up with them! (the destination details aren't that important! make them up if need be)

We then were split off into two groups, 8 of us stayed for the afternoon and 12 were told thy wouldn't be continuing on for the rest of the recruitment process.
    They do this in a really respectful way so no one gets embarrassed, we then had a lunch break before the afternoon assessments.

In the afternoon we had another presentation, this was more about commission structure and incentives it really hypes you up for the possible opportunity to work for them! this goes on for awhile, then we all had a group chat with one of the recruiters which was quite laid back and put you at ease!

After this we had put final assessment for the day which was a group interview! There were 3 of us with a recruiter and we had to answer 3 questions each. The questions were based on perseverance, initiative and a time where we felt thrown in the deep end in relation to our previous job role. We were then asked if w had store preferences, to let our references know they would be contacted and when we could start if we were successful.
    The day finished around 2.30pm.

The next day I received a call from one of the recruiters for a chat and reflection, and she informed me she was going to contact my referee and my application was looking positive!

My referee said the reference check took about 30mins and was quite intense! however he was very positive after talking to her!

A few hours later I received a formal job offer with my store location to start a week later.
    note: 3/4 weeks in your first month will be based in Brisbane, at the FC HQ learning centre, as I live in the gold coast they supply accommodation during this period. At the end of the month you are required to sit an exam which you'll need 80% to continue employment!

Tips!!
    1. Engage in conversation and ask/answer questions during the assessment day! people who sat back and didn't make the effort didn't make it through the morning.
    2. Be confident and speak clearly!
    3. Introduce yourself to other people when you arrive and have a chat, this will make you more relaxed and easier when it comes to tasks.
    4. The FC Recruiters make the day relaxed and enjoyable so dont stress!
    5. Dress in business attire, make sure you look tidy and presentable
    6. Allow your personality to shine! It'll make it easier for the recruiters to get an idea of how you would fit into a team and make you more memorable.

Travel Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group.

Interview

First was the phone interview, which include questions like: why flight centre, what was your last holiday, what do you think you could bring ro the company. She also explained about the lower base salary and the chance of comission. She then askeed if I had any questions (its always best to have 1 or 2 prepared). Because I live regionally she set up at time for a second phone interview and sent a link for a psychometric test. The first part of the test isnt too hard, just word association. The last 3 parts are times including a maths and which word is missing section. Overall took around an hour. I didn't manage to finish all questions during the timed, but I think as long as you get the majority, you'll be fine. The second phone interview I had to sell her flights to Fiji, you don't need to know anything about the destination just be positive and try to add on things like travel insurance, transfers to and from the airport, accommodation. They will try and be difficult on purpose, but you should be good as long as you set a time for a confirmation booking. She also explained the base salary again and asked a few more questions. I was then asked to attend a store to do a maths and geography exam, which I have yet to do. So I hope all goes well.

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Malden, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (New Malden, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Application, with questions regarding your travel experience. If successful a phone interview and if good enough you're then invited to an "assessment" day

A member of staff spends the first half giving you an insight into the company, where they came from, where they are etc Then they go through their selling process, what to ask, what to say, how to greet, how to get the sale etc

Then you're given a paper with geography questions such as matching capital cities to their country, where are these famous landmarks located, three things to see and do in a certain city, then where to spend a long haul honeymoon or a short haul weekend break and why.

While this goes on some people go off and do their role play, which is selling a holiday to a pretend customer. This sounds well and good, but unfortunately no matter where you have been, what your experience and the knowledge you have, the whole morning is wasted because it's all down to how good you are at acting in a 5 minute role play scenario.

Then people are told they didn't make it to the afternoon session which apparently is more role play scenarios and an actual interview.

Disappointing experience as someone can't sell their selves, highlight their strengths and weakness, experience etc By all means do a role play, but include an interview to make it fair across the board. Ironically what they preach in their sales pitch is completely different when you go into one of their branches yourself. (stand up and greet a customer, ask their name etc) never happens in the branch I went into but hey ho, as long as you can act this won't be a problem.

They big their selves on travel experience and having a passion for travel, yet I don't think they realize how many with a passion they let slip by due to their incompetent assessment day. Oh well their loss is another companies game.

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Melbourne (Australia)) in February 2017.

Interview

Let me start this by saying, if you are reading this page, you already have an advantage! Once I applied I read through most of the advices on this, and here is a summary of my notes/ what I went through! If you study and prepare hard, you will do just fine!

Phone interview
    - A very basic phone interview, prepare for questions such as :
       1. Why flight centre?
       2. Why do you think you'd be good for the position
       3. Describe your sales experience.
       4. What motivates you.
       5. What do you consider to be your most significant sales achievement to date.
       6. What are things that you would like from your next employment experience.
       7. Greatest achievement in the past 12months.
       8. Last two employment experience.
       9. Why do you want to change your job?
       10. Did the last 3 jobs have sales targets?
       11. What encouraged you to apply?

Online assessment
    - Just follow the instruction, and make sure you have a full hour free.

Group interview (8am start, 1:30pm finish)
    First assessment: Sell your partner
    Partner up with the person next to you, you get a minute or two to get to know the person and you have to tell the rest of the group why your partner should be hired as a travel consultant! Concentrate on their past work history, especially in sales! Then add in a bit about their travel history etc

2nd assessment: Geography test!
     It's just the basics!
    1. Know your capital cities; ie: USA, Italy, New Zealand etc
    2. Main airlines in different countries; ie: Australia, Thailand etc
    4. Major landmarks, make sure you know the name, where it is, and what it looks like!
    5. Attractions within Australia, ie: skiing destination, winery regions, famous beach etc
    6. Where is Phi Phi island, Kuta Beach, Rhode island etc

3rd assessment: Maths test!
    It's really simple, just about % and calculating commission etc. You are given a calculator.

4th assessment: Role play!
    During your maths test, they will start pulling people out of the room to do one on one role play. They will pretend to be a customer, and you have to sell them a holiday! The key is to close! Here are some tips/ steps!
    1. Be bubbly from the start! Invite them to sit down
    2. Make sure you got the key answers; when they want to go, how long to stay, who they are going with, why they want to go
    4. Suggest you look at flights, ask if they have any preference.
    5. Up sell!! This is very important! You can choose to up sell travel insurance, accommodation, tours etc!
    6. Closing, make sure you get a deposit!!!

Elimination
    After the break, they send a lot of people home, we had 12 people left.They will tell you a bit more in depth about how the commission work etc, then the assessment goes on

5th assessment: Council meeting
    You get divide into smaller groups, as a group you will appeal to the council why we should be granted permission to open a flight centre store in their town. They give you a map with few locations to choose from, and you have to justify why you picked that location etc. you get about 3minutes to prepare as a group, then you will present it to the "council". Make sure you get a chance to speak!!! Questions they will ask includes, why wouldn't I just book on the internet? Why flight centre but not other agency (or another shop)?

6th assessment: Behaviour questions
    It's like a 1 on 3 interview. Few question to prepare:
    1. Name a time you provide excellent customer service
    2. Name a time you’ve been under a great deal of stress
    3. When have you gone above and beyond for a client
    4. Give an examples of when you have had to meet a tight deadline, how did you manage?
    5. When you find it difficult make a sale, what do you do?
    6. Overcome a difficult customer

Then you are done!! They will call/ email your reference! 2nd half of the day is a lot more relaxing!!

My interview was on Tuesday, on Wednesday morning they contacted my references, and I got an email asking if I could have another phone call with them on Thursday morning.

Phone interview #2
    - It felt like another interview, they will ask you about the group interview, what have you learnt, What do you think some of the challenge might be working as a travel consultant etc

and 3hours later I got a call with the good news!!! =D =D

The whole process is very long, and feels like a lot of things to prepare for, but at the end of the day, they are the skills and knowledge that you need to do this job! If you prepare it, you'll do just fine!

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

After applying online I had a telephone interview. The lady I spoke to was lovely. There were no hard questions - and I'm usually awful at interviews. Just be yourself but do yourself a favour and have a look at the Flight Centre webpage. They sell a lot more than flights and holidays, such as holiday insurance, car hire, booking accommodation, arranging tours etc.

I made it through the interview and was sent a link to do an hour long questionnaire. That wasn't fun. You have to chose between words, which one is the least like you and later which is the most like you. Sometimes neither word described me at all and other times both words described me. Go with your first instinct. Towards the end there were some basic maths, which I didn't finish in the allotted time and two other timed sections. One I did finish and the other I didn't.

I made it through to the next stage where I go to Melbourne for a group interview. I have been reading people's helpful tips on Glasshouse. Must admit to being nervous but hopefully I will be successful. It sounds like a really good company to work for and I'm excited to be able to help others realise their holiday dreams or even take the worry out of booking a simple flight - after all - we have our Lowest Airfare Guarantee!!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a Travel Consultant with Flight Centre?   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)) in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online and within 24 hours received an email to set up a time/date for a phone interview. Got the call exactly at the time I chose, the lady was super lovely and friendly. It isn't really an interview it's more of a 'review' of how well you come across over the phone.
    PREPARE NOTES! I can't stress that enough, please be prepared because they will ask what you know about the company, and it will impress them when you show you've done your research. At the end of the call she invited me to group interview day on the Tuesday (call was Friday). I've read that if at the end of the call they say they will ring you back, it's a good indicator you HAVEN'T done well.

They send you an email invite about the group interview which outlines where, when and what to bring. You're also asked to watch 2 Youtube videos to make sure you understand the role and what is expected of you. Included in the email is a link to an online test, which is about an hour long, just covers 2 option (no right or wrong) questions which can get boring and hard at times but just stay concentrated and you'll get through it. You have to complete it before the group interview

On group interview day, arrive at least 10 minutes early, the email says to dress in business attire so DO! Some people showed up in a shirt and jeans, none of them got through. You're asked to bring a passport but don't stress if you don't have one, you won't need it. There was about 20 people there.
    Firstly everyone is sat down at 2 tables in a room and given 10 minutes to get to know each other, there was an awkward silence at first but eventually everyone became friendly. Don't be afraid to speak up and get involved. You have to fill out a page which is basically the same application form you filled out online, asks where you've travelled, referee info, address.

The recruiters then show you some powerpoint presentations about flight centre to give you a better idea about salaries and goals you'll have to meet. This takes about half an hour.
    They ask you to get to know the person sitting next to you, because in 10 minutes you have to let the recruiters know why they should get the job at Flight Centre. The only advice I'd give is try and be professional but fun with your pitch to them, focus more on what they have to bring to Flight Centre rather than where they have travelled. This is probably the most important part of the day, it gives the recruiters a first impression of your sale skills.

After that, you have to do an assessment which is just easy maths and geography questions, prepare your brain for %'s. While everyone is doing the assessment, they take 1 person out of the room at a time and into another to do a 'role play' scenario. Just pretend you actually work at flight centre. Make sure to up-sell everything and let the recruiter (customer) know that you can and will give them the best deal. Push travel insurance and car hire on them! Let them know that insurance is less than $100 which is better than a $100,000 medical evacuation bill.

After the role play/assessment they split everyone into groups, those who made it and those who didn't. Don't underestimate yourself because I have less than a years experience in sales and made it through and there were people there with over 10 years experience and they didn't.
    The 5 of us who were left all sat around a table with the recruiter who asked us simple questions like "What keeps you motivated?" and "Give an example of when you've dealt with conflict".

Was told my referee's would be contacted, and that i'd hear back from them at the end of the week to let me know if I have the job. This was all yesterday so still waiting to see :) Hope this helps!

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Adelaide (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Flight Centre Travel Group (Adelaide (Australia)).

Interview

Phone interview. The woman started off nice, but quickly became robotic and very rude and I knew she was being prompted. I could tell she also got bored with my answers after putting me on the spot. Petty.

I could tell I wasn't going to get it, but I didn't care as I didn't really want the job after reading the conditions they put workers through (below minimum wage, long hours for no overtime pay etc). I just took it as interview experience more than anything though I probably shouldn't have answered the phone.

She also said I would hear back within 24/48 hours but its been about two months now and I still haven't heard anything, so she lied to me and wasted my time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your degree
      Tell me about your previous job role
      What is your greatest career achievement
      1 Answer