FlixBus Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

Sort:

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at FlixBus (New York, NY).

Interview

The HR manager sent me a mail within 2 weeks of my application. It was said that I will have an interview with the Online Marketing Manager on a specified day at a specified time and it was supposed to be an online interview via Video call through a specific chat room they provided.
    I said Ok and on the specified day, I had to rent a hotel room just for the interview so that there aren't distractions from my roommates during the interview. But to my surprise, 45 mins before they Interview, they rescheduled in to the next day.
    Since I am the one in need here, I said OK and cancelled the other very important appointment I had on the next day.
    The interview went alright with the Online Marketing Manager and I had a good impression of them.
    At the end of the Interview, he informed me that I will be notified about the job in 2 weeks and in that mail will be given the details about the contract and the salary and so on.
    I said alright and I waited patiently. Then I get a mail one day that there will be another interview and this time with 2 managers. I really did not have a problem with that too.
    The day came and I kinda faced some issues since I had to take the interview from my house as I had feared that they would reschedule again. The interview panel was friendly. They sent me a campaign during the interview and then started the horrible experience.
    2 people just started asking questions one after the other, almost like they were competing among themselves to show who is better. And finally, I kinda knew I made mistakes in answering 2 questions which they asked.
    In 3 weeks, I got a mail saying they went with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• If given a chance to expand Flixbus to a country, Which country would you expand to and why?   Answer Question

Senior Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I interviewed at FlixBus (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

Very unprofessional and unorganized HR and recruiting team and perhaps the poorest process that I have went through. I had my 1st interview on skype with someone in Germany. After a week, I was contacted for another skype interview. The interview went very well and I was told that my experiences perfectly fit their requirements and I am even a great candidate for their other senior positions. So I was literally told that "I got a yes" from him and I will hear from their HR before the end of the week. Interestingly enough, I did not hear from them for a month till one day I receive this email from their HR manager that they are still "very interested in my qualifications" and wanted me for an interview for another position. Of course at that point I was done with them but out of curiosity I said yes and she went to confirm the time with the interviewer. A day before that interview, she emailed back again that I am a better fit for the position that I initially applied for and canceled that interview. It has been 2 months since then and I have not heard from her again. All sounds more like a joke but that is how they treat their serious candidates.

Finance and Controlling Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FlixBus (New York, NY).

Interview

During the first interview we had a talk about the company and professional topics in general.
    After one week I was called for a second interview with the HR manager: this time they were behavior-based questions and about past experiences.
    All interviewers were very kind and friendly. Overall very positive.

Principal Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at FlixBus in November 2018.

Interview

It was a lengthy and rather unclear process, whereby it took several weeks to get any response from one step to the next one. It started with an online application, proceeded with a couple of calls with team members, a technical challenge (data analysis), finally the on site interview with the whole team.

The role was presented in rather nebulous terms, as if it wasn't clear to them either what they wanted out of it.

I wasn't offered the position and there was no feedback about it whatsoever, other than the rejection itself (I suspect they fear legal complications from a possible case of discrimination, as the interview involved sharing some personal information - having a same-sex partner). But it's probably all for the better, as they do seem to have a high turn over, and I got the sense from some of the team members that working there for them was more of a temporary situation while looking for better opportunities.

Interview Questions

• Explain the correct solution to the Monty Hall problem, in the spirit of the famed Google challenging questions where people want to see how you reason over hard or tricky problems.
      While the idea of such a question is, in principle, fine, I thought this specific one was rather unfair as the Monty Hall problem is known to be a textbook case of human inability (for a series of psychological reasons) to properly calculate probabilities, where even some Nobel laureates failed!   Answer Question
    • Describe the projects that you worked on.   Answer Question

PHP Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at FlixBus (Berlin (Germany)) in May 2018.

Interview

Applied on their company website:

#Week #1:
    Got an HR interview (30 min Phone call) about motivations, salary, start date, .. then she decided to move forward for technical interview.

In the first HR interview she told me that they have vacancies for "PHP Mobile API Developer" and "PHP Developer" (Backend), and she asked me to chose, i chose the first one.

Then after 3 days was able to schedule technical interview, was 1 week after, either on site or video call, i decided to go for onsite interview.

#Week #2:
    The technical interview (Onsite) was a chat with 2 developers about experience , OOP, OOD, ACID, DB indexes, PHP traits, micro-services, docker, testing, TDD, DDD, Architectural patterns, NO SQL, SQL Joins, group by, ... afterwards was asked to implement stack, all went great and i enjoyed the interview.

Then 2 days afterwards i got feedback that the feedback about technical interview was great
    but the position of "PHP Mobile API Developer" is no longer available, so she asked me if i am still interested in "PHP Developer" position we will move forward to "final onsite interview"
    and that we will schedule a final onsite interview.

I replied that "PHP Developer" sounds also good and that i am ready for the final interview.

#Week #3,4:
    Then it was so hard to schedule the final onsite interview because of an internal events, then the week after the HR contact took 1 week off and did not hear from them.

In week 4, another HR contact scheduled online video interview with "people manager" .

#Week #5:
    In the 5th week i made the video interview with the "people manager", was about motivations to join, hardest tasks i faced from my experience, agile, hackathons, what work environment i prefer to work on, and other HR questions from this type.

Afterwards i got a feedback that interview went well and that they are finalizing in which team i would join, and that i have to wait to for a final decision!

#Week #6:
    In week 6 i got "Thank you from Flixbus" email, with rejection and that they decided to move forward with more senior hires!

Interview Questions

• OOP, OOD, ACID, DB indexes, PHP traits, micro-services, docker, testing, TDD, DDD, Architectural patterns, NO SQL, SQL Joins, group by   Answer Question

Social Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at FlixBus (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in April 2018.

Interview

The entire process lasted for about 10 weeks, and 3 rounds:

1st round: Skype call for about an hour with the existing Social Media Manager. She then informed me that I will be given a Case Study to complete within the next 3 business days. She also indicated that although they usually give candidates only 1 question to work with, I was given an extra one, "a fun one" to work with. I was not given a reason as to why I had to work with 2 questions, although based on what she said, the usual practice was to work on 1 question.

2nd round: In this round, the Head of Marketing joined the Skype video call together with the Social Media Manager with whom I spoke, in the previous call. The first step was for me to present the Case Study which I had submitted. The HoM asked some questions as I was presenting, and it went well. The second step was that I had to work on a problem on the call. He mentioned that the rationale for this step, was that they wanted to understand my thought process as well as logic and reasoning skills. Therefore, I was asked some questions relating to Social Media, and it went well.

3rd round: This round involved a Skype video call with the HoM and the Team Lead for CRM. Prior to the call, the HR informed me in the email that I will have to block 2 hours for it, and so I did. As in my opinion I considered this as kind of like a final round, I was expecting behavioural questions assessing my cultural fit. However, the Team Lead of CRM started asking me detailed questions on CRM and its processes, which took me by surprise, as it had nothing to do with the role I had applied for. Therefore, I took it as a curveball question, and answered to my best ability during the call, which lasted for about 2 hours.

At the end of the call, when I asked for the timeline of their decision-making process, I was told “in the next couple of weeks” by the HoM. He also mentioned that since mine was a “special case”, I may have to fly over to Munich for a 4th round of interview in person (as I currently reside outside of Europe).

After a week, when I had not heard back from the team, I wrote in to the HR asking for any feedback that they might be able to share. However, I only received a standardised rejection email from the HR manager, with not so much as a personal note. At this point, having invested so much time, effort and energy interviewing for this role, I was truly upset and disappointed with the way that I was treated as a candidate. The least that they could have done, is to write a personalised note or shared a simple feedback.

One other thing I noticed while interviewing, is that the majority of the team comprises of Europeans -although they repeatedly mentioned that they have a “very international team”. This makes me wonder if their decision may have been influenced by the fact that I am an Asian, therefore the double standards.

Finally, I felt that not much importance was given to the cultural fit and soft skills of candidates during the interview process, as almost all of the questions were testing on logic and reasoning. There were ZERO behavioural and situational questions.

Interview Questions

• At the final round of the interview, I was asked by the Team Lead of CRM how I would ascertain the exact number of passengers who attend an event promoted as part of FB's marketing initiative, out of all of the passengers in a bus. I was asked to walk through the process using all of the tools and information available via CRM. The catch here is that the destination of the bus journey is at the city of the event, and not directly at the place of the event itself.

Technically, it appeared to be a rather ridiculous question, as far to my understanding, it's not possible to track passengers to such as extent. If there exists such a CRM tool that could track to this level, then I am unaware of it.

As I mentioned earlier, this question had nothing to do with Social Media.   Answer Question

Strategic Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at FlixBus (Munich, Bayern (Germany)).

Interview

I submitted my application and around 1.5 weeks later HR told me they wanted to schedule an interview with someone from the business (future colleague). Interview went great; it was a lovely conversation that lasted almost 2 hours. It required quite some preparation and logical thinking, but nothing crazy. Then the drama started... they tell you they contact you within 4 days. After 8 days of silence I decided to contact them myself as I had multiple offers coming my way (which I mentioned). Fairly quickly I got a reply the feedback was very positive and that I got a second interview, which also went pretty well. Two weeks went by and still no reply... I decided not to even bother following up and to take another job offer instead. If a candidate tells you they have multiple offers coming up AND you believe this candidate would be a good fit, then common logic would be that you don't fool around. Very disappointing experience. My tip: if you want to get out of a catch-22 (lack of people due to lack of people in HR), fix the bottleneck first - HR.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Flixbus (business model etc.)?
      Why do you want to work for us?
      Various cost & revenue estimations e.g. how much does XYZ earn per day   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FlixBus.

Interview

Applied for this position the last July. After 15 days with an email they have fixed the data for an interview for the successive week. After this step immediately they gave me the opportunity to accept this role.

Web Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at FlixBus.

Interview

Applied online. The recruiter set up an interview two weeks after the application.
    Interview time came, but I didn't receive a call. Got an email later saying they went for another candidate.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at FlixBus (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in January 2016.

Interview

The guy was pretty nice and qualified.

Firstly I applied online in december, then I've gor an invitation for a skype interview after winter holidays.
    We had a talk about 1 hour about personal and professinal topics.

Interview Questions

• We were talking about lots of thigs: market share growth, he gave me some complicated tasks to make them dome during interview and told me about his own experience   Answer Question