Fluidigm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 26, 2017

2.8

Head of Continuous Improvement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fluidigm (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

The process was very straight forward. I was contacted by Talent Acquisition for an initial screen, which was followed up with two on site interviews with members of the executive team. The process was straight forward and the Talent Acquisition head was a pleasure to work with. The executive team is very passionate and knowledgeable about taking the organization to the next level.

Interview Questions

• How would you determine where to focus your efforts first in the organization?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fluidigm (South San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with HR person. Then on-site interview with the manager. Then on-site interviews with the engineers on the team. The process was spread out over 2 months. They said after the last interview they would let me know "soon", but they made me wait 2 weeks.
    It seems like it would be easy to get hired on at this company, because they don’t ask any tough questions, and you get to meet with the manager first. But actually, it’s very difficult to get hired on at this company, because of the way they do their hiring process and the way they make their decisions (see below).

Interview Questions

• They asked a little about the biotech projects I brought up, but not much of any technical questions about computer science, and this was a software engineering job. ...meaning...They base their decision on things other than the actual skills required for the job. If you have great people skills, MAYBE you'll do well with all 7 or 8 people. But it's still a crap shoot.   1 Answer

Field Technical Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fluidigm.

Interview

This was the worst interview process I have had. First, the date and time were changed 5 times. This makes it difficult because I had to make a presentation to others at the company. More than a few people I interviewed with had something negative to say about people I have worked with, even my references. This is very unprofessional in my opinion. I even had interviews set up during lunchtime, which would have been ok if they didn't provide me with lunch and then expect me to have a phone interview with someone. I was wondering if I was being punked during this whole process. Overall, it was a very unprofessional and negative experience.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fluidigm (South San Francisco, CA).

Interview

30-minute interview with the hiring manager (Senior Scientist) and a co-worker. Mostly behavioral questions along with some questions to gauge my interest in microfluidics and single-cell genomics. Followed by a 30-minute interview with the group leader. Most questions were technical. This was followed by a 15-minute chat with an HR person which was more informal.

About 10 days after the on-site interview I had a phone interview with another Senior Scientist who worked closely with the hiring manager. Very standard questions were asked, mostly about my technical background.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me a description of how qPCR works?
      Do you have experience in troubleshooting in the lab?
      Where do you see yourself career-wise 5 years from now?
      Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fluidigm (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

4 series of interviews on the hiring process.
    1st : phone interview with HR
    2nd : phone interview with Hiring Manager
    3rd : in person interview with boss of hiring manager
    4th : panel interview with 9 people in the company

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fluidigm in September 2014.

Interview

The interview was a first face to face meeting of the team, 2 phone interviews before going in person. Long full day but fairly informal. Most people were nice. Good energy and looked like a busy team. Some lack of direction and product definition. I got the impression that they need people with a very specific skill set and domain knowledge. New breakthrough products that have yet to find a niche or application. Met with representatives of various departments, R&D, Marketing, Aplications & Support as well as HR.

Manager, Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fluidigm (South San Francisco, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

I learned of the position via a job alert email, and applied on line. I received an HR phone interview request. She explained the position and the corporate culture in more detail. She definitely sold me on the company, and I was more excited about the prospect after our interview. This interview was to confirm my qualifications and interest. I was invited to an on-site interview with the hiring manager. It was brief, about 30 minutes and I needed more time, just for my own clarity of interest, and we extended it another 15 minutes. This interview also gave me more details about the company and the position. We reviewed my resume, work and systems experience, and went into more detail on my qualifications for this particular position. It was positive, relaxed and there were no off the wall questions. It's important that personalities fit since it's a small team and everyone might need to help out beyond their official role. This was my impression.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, always be prepared to discuss how you are qualified and if you don't have the exact experience, what are your comparable experiences.   Answer Question

Fas Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fluidigm in February 2014.

Interview

I spoke with seven different people on the phone before being invited for an in-person interview. This included multiple phone calls with a couple individuals. The phone interview process lasted a couple months.
    The in-person interview process included a seminar I gave as well as a series of short interviews that spanned the day.

Interview Questions

• It wasn't one question but Fluidigm has a broad product line and they are looking for the ability to assimilate a breadth of knowledge and a self-starting attitude.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Fair-minded if you are straight forward in what you want. I don't think games would go over well. Fluidigm expects more of its FAS team than most other companies do of their FASes. The pay is commensurately a bit higher.

Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fluidigm (San Francisco, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I had a phone screen, phone interview and then was flown in from out of town for a 1/2 day, multiple person interview. Couldn't have been a better experience (save for the fact I, sadly, didn't get the gig. ...Very friendly, genuine people who made me feel comfortable. Offered ample time to take a break/breather between interviews. Very open and honest (no cliches, corporate speak garbage) in answering my questions. Even though I didn't get the job, I got the sense that it's a good company with a great culture.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected, but a few tricky questions (not to be confused with ridiculous or irrelevant questions).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Fluidigm.

Interview

Interview process was extremely accomadating. Staff was cheerful yet professional.