Fog Creek Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Fog Creek Software Interview Questions

Updated Nov 7, 2016

3.5

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fog Creek Software.

Interview

First I solved the application problem and sent it in. The problem is really just a low barrier to reduce applications from wholly unqualified applicants. The job posting has a problem for you to solve. Solve it and you get a word to include in the subject line of your application email.

After a few weeks, I heard back and was told that I'd be doing a code screen. The code screen was a video chat with a member of the support team. He asked some simple math problems and gave a programming puzzle to solve. The program does not need to be written in syntactically-correct code. Pseudocode is fine.

Shortly after that round, I heard back again and was told I'd done well and they wanted to do an "in-person" interview. The in-person interview was still online and not actually in person, but I met with 4 different people over the course of 4 or 5 hours. The interviews were a mix of technical and non-technical. Without giving away too many details about the questions, they're looking to see that you have a solid technical base, can communicate effectively, and can solve problems.

By the end of the day of my "in-person" interview I received an email saying that Fog Creek wanted to schedule one more call with the president/founder of the company. Based on my experience interviewing with other companies I figured that having gotten through the in-person interview the chat with the president would be a mostly non-technical chat about the job/company and possibly a job offer right then. As it turned out, it was actually another technical interview (not coding, just some technically-oriented problems to solve). No offer was made during the call, but I received an email that same day from Fog Creek with my offer.

Interview Questions

• Some questions to test problem-solving and technical background.   Answer Question

Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Fog Creek Software in January 2016.

Interview

After apparently solving the application's programming problem correctly, I was contacted via e-mail to schedule an interview via teleconference with another Fog Creek employee working remotely.

I'd rather not spoil the question for anyone, but I will say that it was an elementary problem likely not intended to see if you could solve it, but how.

Advice I would offer is to prepare for the quirks of a tele-interview: the interview will start nearly immediately. You don't warm up to it like real life, where you arrive at the interview, greet the receptionist, and view the workplace. You will click a button and be face-to-face. Find a way to warm your mental faculties before starting the interview.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Fog Creek Software (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Fog Creek had the best interview process I've experienced. I applied online, interviewed, and heard back within a week. The recruiter was very responsive and my interviewer, a software engineer there, was really nice. My online interview lasted about an hour, and the majority of it was solving technical questions that he brought.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Fog Creek Software (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied online, contacted very quickly to set up phone interview. They are very open about their hiring process, no hoops to jump through or guessing to be done. The phone interview did not result in an in person interview, but the experience was very good. Be up to date on data structures and algorithms.

Interview Questions

• Describe a current project you are working on that you are passionate about   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fog Creek Software in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was then asked to interview over the phone. Had a 45 minute interview that started out with a few basic questions. Then he asked me a question about alphabetical lists and reversing and I was allowed to use whatever language I wanted, he even encouraged me to use psuedocode at one point. It wasn't very difficult but I did not perform as well as I would have liked.

Interview Questions

• Something about alphabetical lists and removing certain items, don't remember exactly   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Fog Creek is has the most organized of screening process I could imagine. Really shows that their core competency is project management software.

The interview process was described as five 1-on-1 technical interviews. The interviews are strictly technical, and result in a hire/no-hire vote within hours. As long as I make it through the 5 without getting two no-hires, then the next step is a job offer.

I participated in one technical interview, writing javascript code on a shared whiteboard. I answered all questions and solved the problem to every level of complexity asked. The hour went fast, and at the end I asked if there was any other problems or details he would have asked if we had more time, and he said no, I had answered everything he had. Then I got the goodbye form letter. Apparently that guy's vote counted twice because I was out.

Interview Questions

• Whatever you do, don't say the word "array" unless you're making fun of it. These guys love stacks and pointers. It probably also hurt me that I chose Javascript as the language. You can't be a programmer unless you're a Java programmer.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fog Creek Software (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

The job posting involved a programming challenge you had to solve to apply. The interview process involved some automated responses but mostly interactions with real people. I went through two calls that were getting to know you and your history jobs, then one paired programming session to cover technical skill.

The group genuinely looks for capability over a specific skillset, and I came away from each portion of the interview with a grin. Really friendly and very capable.

Interview Questions

• The paired programming challenge involved implementing a method, determining its operation cost and optimizing it to reduce the memory and processing requirements. We discussed the tradeoff of readability versus speed, compiler optimization for the method and what situations would render the optimization effort pointless or necessary. A full analysis of your ability to implement, analyze, and improve software, as well as the ability to think on your feet and how something will be used in a larger picture.   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager, FogBugz and Kiln Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fog Creek Software (New York, NY) in July 2014.

Interview

Sent in email including a resume and the answer to a programatic problem posted along with the job description. They respond with a nice auto-generated email indicating a number of follow-up questions and a description of the process. They use their bug tracking tool to track candidates so all communication with them is threaded.

Interview Questions

• The programming problem was basically to parse, filter and sort a string in the applicant's language of choice. It wasn't very hard but my guess is some languages lend themselves to easier wolustions than others.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Fog Creek Software in June 2014.

Interview

Emailed in my resume, heard back maybe 2 weeks later from someone in HR. Spoke with her, had a brief phone call with someone else, mainly just giving me info and making sure I was worth the time for an engineer to interview. This was followed up with a technical phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Standard question. Interview definitely played to my strengths and tried to help where needbe.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fog Creek Software (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Application was very easy. You e-mail your resume. A follow-up bot responds and asks for any additional information that you might have left out.

Some time later, a human schedules a 15-minute phone screen as a quick bozo filter. This is to determine if you are worth spending interview time with a more technical and expensive employee.

The next interview was over the phone, and was overwhelmingly a technical demonstration to prove that you do, in fact, know how to write software. I was dropped after this point, given the explanation that it was a "painful choice" to pass over "extraordinarily promising" candidates.

Interview Questions

• Write a stack-based calculator that uses reverse Polish notation as I watch you do it on a shared text area.   1 Answer