Ford Motor Company Interview Questions in Detroit, MI | Glassdoor

Ford Motor Company Interview Questions in Detroit, MI

Updated May 22, 2017

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

I filed an application through their online site. I then took their exam that consisted of both math and logic questions (this is required of all applicants). After two weeks I received a call from the recruiter asking to set up an interview, they were very firm on the date and time. Before the interview took place the hiring manager of the position called me and asked me some questions:
    1. Why I wanted to work at Ford.
    2. Summary of my work history.
    3. Questions regarding the position.
    I then participated in a 1 hour interview at their talent center. You watch a brief video on Ford and are then escorted to a cubicle with those who will be interviewing you. The questions for my position ranged from logic to previous experience, along with scenario based questions. This was with 3 employees including the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would gather requirements for a software release or change request.   Answer Question

Ford College Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allen Park, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Allen Park, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

There were two stages: a phone interview and a 3-on-1 panel interview. The phone interview consisted of four "Tell me about a time..." questions, so have at least that many experiences ready to talk about. They allow you to reuse an experience if it applies twice. The last question was a Scenario question where they wanted to see how you would handle a situation that might come up in work (e.g. a co-worker who isn't coming to an important meeting when you have a strict deadline).
    The 3-on-1 panel interview was in Allen Park, MI and consisted of two parts: 4-5 behavioral questions and 4-5 technical questions. The questions were mainly all "Tell me about a time..." questions, but the behavioral ones were testing how your behaviors aligned with Ford's values and the technical ones tested what your background experience was and how it applied to the position. The technical questions were not testing your knowledge, they were still "Tell me about a time..." style questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a technical skill that you have that will help contribute to your job.   1 Answer

Zone Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

Went to Dearborn for a morning-long event. There was a panel interview and then a simulated dealer meeting where you had a bunch of fake emails and numbers to look at for about 30 min before the role play starts.
    I thought it went ok and the lady there said to expect a correspondence in about 3-4 business days. It's been over a week since the interview and I have heard nothing.

Interview Questions

• You are given a small set of data and asked to explain what it implies and what you would do about it.   1 Answer

Zone Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

My path to this position was somewhat unconventional. I was in continuous contact with Ford recruiters since February and narrowly missed the summer field operations internship because all available spots were already taken. I accepted another internship for the summer, but I continued expressing my interest to Ford’s recruiters.

I was committed to joining Ford after staying in touch with the recruiting team over the summer, so I made a point of meeting them at my school's career expo in September. They were personable and encouraged me to apply, so I applied for the Zone Manager role in the FCG program through both my school's on-campus recruiting system and the corporate Ford website. After I met certain minimum criteria (GPA, etc.), I took three assessments that measured my critical thinking skills in math and reading, as well as my culture fit. I was informed that I passed thirty minutes later and was cleared to interview if selected by the recruiting team to do so.

I was invited to a first round two-person panel interview in October, which included some logistical questions, details about the position, a few behavioral, and a few situational questions (one of which involved analyzing a document). The difficulty of the questions took me by surprise - they were much more challenging than questions I had experienced in other interviews, especially the situational questions. This made me want the position even more as it is clear that Ford seeks exceptionally bright, hardworking, and capable employees. Extensive background knowledge of the auto industry, dealership operations, and (as much as possible) the Zone Manager role/resources available to Zone Managers will be beneficial for the interviews. For the behavioral questions, know your resume thoroughly and put thought into a number of personal stories that show your strengths.

After what seemed like an abysmal first round interview, I was not at all surprised when I heard nothing from Ford. However, I was pleasantly shocked to receive a phone call from the Ford Talent Center in early November (over a month after the first round interview occurred) inviting me to the second round in Dearborn in mid November. I had only one week to prepare, but I was excited for another opportunity to prove myself. I was flown to Detroit on a Wednesday afternoon, picked up in a black Lincoln Navigator at the airport, and put up in The Dearborn Inn for the night. I was given a $25 limit for dinner at the restaurant in the hotel (alcohol is excluded). The majority of folks staying at the Inn were undergrad and post-grad students interviewing the next day at Ford for various engineering and business positions. I woke up at 5:00 AM to run through my preparation one more time, and my group of interviewees (the first of three groups included in the first of two interview rounds throughout the day) was picked up in a Ford Transit van at 6:30 AM. We were brought to the Ford Talent Center ten minutes away, assigned interview suites, and shown a video about Michigan and the benefits of working for Ford.

At 8:00 AM, I was brought back to a panel of three interviewers. The first part lasted from 8:00-9:00 AM and consisted of a dozen behavioral questions and two or three situational questions. These are much more difficult than the first round and all three interviewers will ask probing questions to dive deeper into your experiences. Prepare extensively and make sure your answers are bulletproof, thorough, and fully address all parts of each questions asked. I was offered a break around 8:40 AM but I felt comfortable so I declined. We finished the first portion shortly after 9:00 AM and we conversed/exchanged questions until 9:30 AM. At this time, I was told to take a break before the second part of the interview: a simulated meeting with a dealership manager. At 9:40 AM, all three interviewers left after giving me about 15 documents review and a brief explanation of this second part. You are given 30 minutes to review the documents - not enough time to read them all, so figure out what's important to focus on. Two interviewers came back (they were five minutes early) and the meeting began - one interviewer was the dealership manager and the other took notes. After 30 minutes for the meeting, I was allowed more time to converse and ask questions. Overall, the whole interview finished at 11:30 AM.

All of the morning interviewees/interviewers ate a catered lunch together at 12:30 PM. At 1:30 PM, morning interviewees who opted to do so went to the Ford Rouge Factory located 15 minutes down the road for a tour. After the tour, we were all brought back to the Ford Talent Center, picked up in black Lincoln Navigators, and brought to the airport before 5:00 PM.
    I received an offer about three weeks after the final interview.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions can (and should) be prepared for thoroughly, but you will have to think on your feet for the situational questions and especially for the simulated dealership meeting.   Answer Question

Product Development FCG Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

One on-campus interview and then a final one on-site a few weeks later. Talked very briefly during career fair and applied online (took online assessment exam). Got a call for on-campus interview for following week. Got email after about another week about on-site interview. Very typical behavioral and situation questions related to teamwork and dealing with clients. The part that they called the technical part were very similar questions but I was instead asked to talk more in detail of the technical skills that were applied.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you disagreed with your supervisor.   Answer Question

Seating Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter from a career fair. Scheduling it was a hassle and annoying. The recruiter initially tried to get me to come in the same day.She was placing both contract and salary workers. I was interviewing for either along with several other candidates. It was not made clear to me that I would be interviewing for a contract position. The details of my 8:30 am interview were also not made known to me until 10:00pm the night prior. Very little time to prepare. Not sure if this is how Ford does it, or disorganization on the recruiting end. I got there and the manager showed up 10 minutes late to greet me. Almost entirely star questions and confirming personal details. Did not go well, I was general/preliminary interview, but found out 10pm the night before that it would be a behavioral interview. Had very little experience with these at the time so I had little prepared. I called the recruiter immediately following the interview to inform her that I wouldn't be accepting an offer if the chance happened that I got the job.

Ford College Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with a recruiter at my university's career fair. I had to take a 30 minute online skills test before I interviewed with the recruiter. The interview went well and all questions were behavioral focused. A couple weeks passed before I was contacted to do an onsite interview. My interview was with three Ford employees at the same time. Each one took turns asking me a question. Interview was approximately an hour long. Once again, I was asked a lot of behavioral questions plus some more technical questions about computers. I was surprised by some of the questions since my background is in software engineering but most questions were IT related. I was not surprised when I did not get an offer since my skill set did not intersect with the questions being asked .

Electronic Math Modeler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed by the members of management who basically asked me a handful of questions about my experience and work ethic. They told me about the expectations they have for their employees and then asked me how much I expected to make through my contract agency, which I later found out was completely inappropriate.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to work overtime and weekends?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI).

Interview

Process took more than 3 months. Was contacted by a recruiter by email originally, and had a phone interview with hiring manager a week later. I was then invited to the company headquarters in Dearborn.

The face to face interview was split between a 3 person panel interview, followed by a tour of the company grounds. The panel interviewers were very easy going, and seemed enthusiastic about describing their respective departments. They said decisions would be within 2 weeks, but didn't hear from them until 4 weeks later. Thought the interview went well, but I was not chosen.

Interview Questions

• All STAR type questions.

1. Describe a time a client was being difficult and how you handled it.
      2. Describe a time you faced a barrier in your team environment and how you handled it.
      3. Describe a time you troubleshooted something.
      4. Describe a time you improved a process.
      5. Describe a time you came up with something innovative.
      6. Describe a time you took a risk and what was the outcome.
      Answer Question

Information Technology Ford College Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allen Park, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Allen Park, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with Ford on campus and then had an on-site interview at the Ford Talent Center. Overall process of the on-site interview was excellent. The on-site interview was a panel interview with three Ford employees from various sectors within Information Technology. Ford definitely knows how to treat their potential future employees well!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Ford?   1 Answer