Ford Motor Company Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ford Motor Company Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 31, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call to do a quick screen. Started with typical questions confirming details on the submitted application including salary expectation and willingness to travel.

Interview Questions

• Describe experience or knowledge of the Spring Framework in java.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ford Motor Company

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Went to career fair at my university and spoke to the representatives. They recommended that I applied to the FCG program online and I did. A few days later, I was contacted by two recruiters for a phone interview that lasted less than 30 minutes. I will be going to Dearborn on Monday to do a meet and greet, and be interviewed.

Interview Questions

• If there was a project due soon and you had the opportunity to cut corners, would you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

A brief phone screen with a recruiter, then another discussion with a manager, resulted in an on-site interview. This interview was with the hiring manager and two other engineers.

Interview Questions

• Many questions of the form "Tell us about a situation where you..." Most questions were non-technical.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allen Park, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Allen Park, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

I recently completed a full interview sequence at Ford Motor Company and thought it might be helpful to recap the experience.

I am not 100% certain how things work for regular Ford candidates but I get the impression that for most candidates, the process is simply a phone interview to start with and then the one panel interview done on-site (which is a pleasant, very dramatic contrast from the intensive, multi-round, multiple-half/full day interviewing scenarios most software engineering candidates will get at any other company). In my particular case, I did three rounds of interviewing (one phone, two on-site) because the group I was interviewing with was a start-up company that Ford acquired, and the third round was the FMC standard interview which I’ll be recapping here.

For the on-site interview, Ford has a set-up a cavernous, cinder-block-walled “talent center” for interviewing within a strip-mall like office complex about 1 - 2 miles from the “Glass House” (the informal name for their glass-clad 1960’s-style World Headquarters). Pay attention to the sentence in the interview arrangements e-mail that says “show up early!”; this is so they can show you a 15 - 20 minutes of videos (a canned “Welcome to Ford!” video, plus a “Pure Michigan” video which tries to promote why Michigan is actually a really good place to live).

Then comes the panel interview. In my case it was three people, the CEO of the startup that Ford acquired (Livio Radio, to be specific), plus a Ford chief electrical product analyst and a feature owner (project/product manager?). Each of them took turns reading off prepared (standard) questions from sheets of papers. Many of the questions were standard interviewing questions (“what are the accomplishments you’re most proud of?”), and there were a few broad technical questions in there such as “how would you design an API to interface with a deck of cards?”, “For a given middle school, describe how many buses would be needed to move students in and out most efficiently?”. All in all, nothing unexpected for anyone with a CS degree and I was very thankful to be able to engage with and ask the panel my own questions between theirs.

After the panel interview is concluded and handshakes are done, you’ll be offered the opportunity to take a guided tour, which will either be a drive around the many various buildings that Ford uses in the Dearborn area or a tour of the famous Rouge manufacturing complex (which is where raw elements/materials go in on one end, completely manufactured cars come out the other). I think there’s a lunch included as well, but since I was a local candidate I took off before the tour and didn’t get to find out what kind of sandwiches they distribute in the Talent Center candidate lunchroom.

And as a nice “thank you” gesture, the Ford talent center personnel even provide candidates with a parting gift: a little insulated cooler bag filled with a few different pieces of Ford schwag (a thermos, a can opener, a flashlight which I regret immediately losing).

Hopefully my experience with the Ford interview process will help you to prepare to pass your interviewing day. If you find any of the information in this review helpful, please let me know by voting "Yes" on the "Helpful?" question below (this helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible).

Interview Questions

• Given a string that has various brackets (e.g. “{“, “(“, “[“, “}”, “)”, “]”) built into it, how would one tell that the string has a balanced number of brackets and in order?   4 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn Heights, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn Heights, MI) in August 2015.

Interview

Formal interview with technical hiring manager, Some elements of this may be outside of your control but, if you have opportunity to do so, try and speak with an insider at that company to get a pulse on what’s going on in that department or division. The job description rarely “tells all,” so if you can better understand the true needs for this role, it will help you present yourself as the solution to the true challenges the team faces, but didn’t necessarily spell out on paper.

Interview Questions

• 1. "Tell Me About Yourself..."   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allen Park, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Allen Park, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

Applied to posting from Monster,com, brief phone interview, then flight, hotel, & transportation covered for in-person interview in Dearborn. The position I applied to was way out of my league, and I was quite surprised that they even called, but maybe they get a commission for the number of people they bring in to interview? I answered a few basic programming questions over the phone and a couple weeks later they asked me to schedule a time to come to Dearborn. Free flight, free limousine service to the Dearborn Inn (which is a sight to see), $25 dinner voucher, then shuttle transportation to the interview center.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview was ridiculous; just a secretary recording your answers to basic object-oriented programming questions. In-person interview was me in front of 3 manager-types with 5 situational questions and 5 technical questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Ann Arbor, MI) in October 2014.

Interview

I met with representatives at a career fair and they took my resume and information. I received an email about a week later saying they wanted to have a phone interview. I scheduled the phone interview and they called me to ask some questions. They asked about me personally, and asked one technical question.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how to print every nth element from an array.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in October 2014.

Interview

First session was a group/panel discussion. Separated students into groups and then interviewed them one by one with two to three Ford employees asking questions. After this on a second day was a much smaller group with each individual going into a cube with three interviewers asking questions. Second round of interview was around 3 hours of question and answers.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you've had to make a tough leadership decision that your team may not have looked favorably on.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company in March 2013.

Interview

Got referred from an employee at Ford. Not sure about the specific name of this position.

Interview Questions

• Most of them are about hardware which I am not familiar   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)).

Interview

There will be 4 rounds of Interview Process
    written,
    2 Technical round
    HR Dicussion
    one whole day process in 15 days I got the Offer.
    so it will be a good above average interview process.