Ford Motor Company Zone Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ford Motor Company Zone Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 24, 2017

3.8

Zone Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company.

Interview

Met them on campus at a career fair. Was invited to an on-campus interview not too long after that (maybe a 4-5 days later). Many of these questions were general behavioral questions (only 5). After I interviewed I heard 2 days later that I got an interview on their Ford Campus in Allen Park, MI. This was a lot more extensive. Included a case study and role play with a dealer, and then after than 10+ behavioral questions that had many follow-up questions to dig deeper into your stories. These are very difficult. Do lots of research and prepare ahead of time with many power stories. And of course have a good response to Why Ford. Heard on an offer about 4 days later.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time when you had to fix a mistake you made, Name a time when you worked in a group and there was a positive outcome, Talk about a time you came with something innovative or creative, Talk about a time when you were under a constraint (product, time, etc.), Many Leadership questions, as well as times when you were in a difficult situation.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Ford Motor Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

Went to Dearborn for a morning-long event. There was a panel interview and then a simulated dealer meeting where you had a bunch of fake emails and numbers to look at for about 30 min before the role play starts.
    I thought it went ok and the lady there said to expect a correspondence in about 3-4 business days. It's been over a week since the interview and I have heard nothing.

Interview Questions

• You are given a small set of data and asked to explain what it implies and what you would do about it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in November 2015.

Interview

My path to this position was somewhat unconventional. I was in continuous contact with Ford recruiters since February and narrowly missed the summer field operations internship because all available spots were already taken. I accepted another internship for the summer, but I continued expressing my interest to Ford’s recruiters.

I was committed to joining Ford after staying in touch with the recruiting team over the summer, so I made a point of meeting them at my school's career expo in September. They were personable and encouraged me to apply, so I applied for the Zone Manager role in the FCG program through both my school's on-campus recruiting system and the corporate Ford website. After I met certain minimum criteria (GPA, etc.), I took three assessments that measured my critical thinking skills in math and reading, as well as my culture fit. I was informed that I passed thirty minutes later and was cleared to interview if selected by the recruiting team to do so.

I was invited to a first round two-person panel interview in October, which included some logistical questions, details about the position, a few behavioral, and a few situational questions (one of which involved analyzing a document). The difficulty of the questions took me by surprise - they were much more challenging than questions I had experienced in other interviews, especially the situational questions. This made me want the position even more as it is clear that Ford seeks exceptionally bright, hardworking, and capable employees. Extensive background knowledge of the auto industry, dealership operations, and (as much as possible) the Zone Manager role/resources available to Zone Managers will be beneficial for the interviews. For the behavioral questions, know your resume thoroughly and put thought into a number of personal stories that show your strengths.

After what seemed like an abysmal first round interview, I was not at all surprised when I heard nothing from Ford. However, I was pleasantly shocked to receive a phone call from the Ford Talent Center in early November (over a month after the first round interview occurred) inviting me to the second round in Dearborn in mid November. I had only one week to prepare, but I was excited for another opportunity to prove myself. I was flown to Detroit on a Wednesday afternoon, picked up in a black Lincoln Navigator at the airport, and put up in The Dearborn Inn for the night. I was given a $25 limit for dinner at the restaurant in the hotel (alcohol is excluded). The majority of folks staying at the Inn were undergrad and post-grad students interviewing the next day at Ford for various engineering and business positions. I woke up at 5:00 AM to run through my preparation one more time, and my group of interviewees (the first of three groups included in the first of two interview rounds throughout the day) was picked up in a Ford Transit van at 6:30 AM. We were brought to the Ford Talent Center ten minutes away, assigned interview suites, and shown a video about Michigan and the benefits of working for Ford.

At 8:00 AM, I was brought back to a panel of three interviewers. The first part lasted from 8:00-9:00 AM and consisted of a dozen behavioral questions and two or three situational questions. These are much more difficult than the first round and all three interviewers will ask probing questions to dive deeper into your experiences. Prepare extensively and make sure your answers are bulletproof, thorough, and fully address all parts of each questions asked. I was offered a break around 8:40 AM but I felt comfortable so I declined. We finished the first portion shortly after 9:00 AM and we conversed/exchanged questions until 9:30 AM. At this time, I was told to take a break before the second part of the interview: a simulated meeting with a dealership manager. At 9:40 AM, all three interviewers left after giving me about 15 documents review and a brief explanation of this second part. You are given 30 minutes to review the documents - not enough time to read them all, so figure out what's important to focus on. Two interviewers came back (they were five minutes early) and the meeting began - one interviewer was the dealership manager and the other took notes. After 30 minutes for the meeting, I was allowed more time to converse and ask questions. Overall, the whole interview finished at 11:30 AM.

All of the morning interviewees/interviewers ate a catered lunch together at 12:30 PM. At 1:30 PM, morning interviewees who opted to do so went to the Ford Rouge Factory located 15 minutes down the road for a tour. After the tour, we were all brought back to the Ford Talent Center, picked up in black Lincoln Navigators, and brought to the airport before 5:00 PM.
    I received an offer about three weeks after the final interview.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions can (and should) be prepared for thoroughly, but you will have to think on your feet for the situational questions and especially for the simulated dealership meeting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in January 2015.

Interview

I attended a MBA career fair back in October 2014. I was contacted by Ford in November to set up a phone interview with a recruiter. I spoke to the recruiter and then had another phone interview with a Ford employee who used to be a Zone Manager. I believe they asked me 3-4 questions and one or two about a document they gave me to review beforehand. I made it through to the next level! In December, they asked if they could fly me out for an in-person interview in January. I accepted.

I was flown in on the company, picked up in a black car, and put up in the Dearborn Inn. I was very impressed with their interview process. The interview was supposed to be a full day event. I was actually staying in for the weekend with family. The morning of the interview, a shuttle came to pick about 12 different candidates up from the hotel. We had a group portion with a video about the company and Michigan. Each candidate was brought back individually and was interviewed by 3 Ford employees. The process could have been stressful but I was well prepared. The questions they asked were situational.

I was asked if I wanted a break half way through but figured I would just keep going as I was feeling confident and on the ball. At the end of my interview, a person told me that I had finished early and others wouldn't be done for another hour. The lunch portion was 1.5 hours away and there was supposed to be a bus tour of the campus that I was excited about. One of the people leading the event said it was no big deal and that I could leave if I wanted to. I was disappointed but didn't know if this was "a bad sign." I left feeling confused as to how they could have planned this full day interview for out of state candidates so poorly when it was advertised so lovely. I think I was there from 8-10:30am.

Anyways, before I could even send a thank you or leave town, I received an offer by the end of the weekend. Very quick considering the entire recruiting process took a few months. They wanted me to start in April. Location TBD. I was happy with the offer and was on the edge with the location. This is a great position for someone who doesn't care where they live. I wanted to accept but last minute they changed my region from one I liked to one I didn't and I ended up having to turn down my offer.

Ford is a great company with generous compensation. I would be interested in working for them in another role for sure.

Interview Questions

I was told one region and then assigned to another...

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in October 2014.

Interview

The hiring process was broken up into three separate parts: Initial interview with recruiter, phone interview, and on-site interview. The initial interview mainly goes over the job description, backing up your resume, etc. This is where they schedule the phone interview.

The phone interview consisted of five questions with multiple parts -- overall, the phone call was about 45 minutes. You are asked to look over a partial balance sheet, as well, to prepare.

The on-site interview is an all day event. I got to their talent recruitment center at 7am, and left at 3pm. You're sitting with a group of about 30 people and they have a quick presentation before your interview. The on-site interview includes two parts -- One-Ford Behavioral questions and a skills assessment role play. You're offered to go on their bus tour afterwards, which most candidates did.

Interview Questions

• The questions are tough. They require a lot of preparation and thought. Make sure you prepare ahead of time -- and answer the questions COMPLETELY. The role-play is also difficult -- you have a half hour to prepare for a 20 minute "talk" with a dealer, and they come in early-- don't be caught off guard and think on your toes. Know where to focus your attention and you should be fine.   Answer Question

Zone Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company.

Interview

Leadership Development Conference on-site in Dearborn, Michigan was a day-long intensive interview process combining group work, one-on-one and skills assessments. At the conclusion of the day, you are either offered a job or not.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not applicable

Zone Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company.

Interview

Very competitive. Went to our career fair and did not interview many people. Got through that round and into the Talent Management Conference. After that, I received an offer

Interview Questions

• The business case was not a walk in the park. The interviews are also very interesting.   Answer Question

Zone Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company.

Interview

I had an on campus interview. i was informed of the interview the night before it was to take place. It consisted of mostly behavioral questions.

Anonymous Employee in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in January 2013.

Interview

- first, there was a one-on-one interview at my college. I got the interview by leaving my resume with someone at a career fair.
    - After you get through the first round, you will spend the weekend in Dearborn for final interview. They ask you to review a case study and have it prepared as well as do role plays and tests.

Interview Questions

• - look at this chart and tell me what you notice.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in December 2012.

Interview

First round interview was an in-person, 2-on-1 (2 interviewers plus myself) interview held at my school. I am a college senior. Second round interview was an all-day event held in Dearborn, MI. The all-day event had not only another 2-on-1 interview with more challenging questions, but it also had a group activity and simulated meeting with a car dealership manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you recently took a risk and what were the results. Describe this situation in as much detail as possible.   Answer Question