Foreign and Commonwealth Office Business Development Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 28, 2017

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Pre-screened from Washington DC and kindly provided with an interview crib sheet. Received a friendly welcome and, as indicated, was asked a lengthy series of open-ended questions designed to dig into my background in quite a bit of depth. The panel of 3 seemed much more interested in sizing up my past interpersonal behavioral responses than whether I might be able to do the job advertised effectively. In fact the job itself was almost never discussed. Presumably getting to the interview stage means they are already convinced you can do the job. I suppose behavioral questions are par for the course if you will be representing government and meeting senior politicians/civil servants/diplomats. It took longer than they said to hear back and the message, though perfectly courteous, instructed me not to solicit feedback on the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation from your last job where xyz happened? How did you handle it and why?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Hiring process is through the Embassy in Washington, your first contact will be a phone call from the HR department asking basic questions. Then an interview will be scheduled at the post you are applying for (there are 10 around the US). Typical questions for a BDA role will be economic development focused, event management, time management, and risk management.

Interview Questions

• If we hired you tomorrow, tell me how you would go about planning X event?   1 Answer

Negotiation

NO NEGOTIATION. The posted salary is final - it's government!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Foreign and Commonwealth Office (New York, NY) in July 2011.

Interview

applied online with cover letter, resume, recommendation. Was contacted by HR and asked various questions. After the phone interview i received opportunity to have a panel interview as well as an hour research assignment. The people were so friendly and really seemed to enjoy what they were doing. The office was in a great location.