Forrester Research Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 10, 2017

2.9

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in June 2017.

Interview

After applying online, a recruiter reached out to me over email. We set up time for a phone interview, then I had another phone interview two days later with the head of the department, and then I was asked to come in for a marathon 2.5 hour interview a week later. I never heard back after that.

I came out of the marathon interview feeling very positive about the entire process. Regardless of offer, I was happy with how great everyone had been. I sent in thank yous to everyone I met with. A week later I sent a follow up email to the recruiter. It's been approximately one month since the interview and I never heard anything back - which has really dimmed my opinion. I now feel like my time was not valued by Forrester. When you have a marathon interview, you should hear back one way or the other, it's just far more respectful that way.

Interview Questions

Forrester Response

Jul 10, 2017 – VP, Global Talent Acquisition

Thanks for your feedback. We do value and appreciate the time you devoted to the interview process at Forrester. A half day of interviews can be strenuous and we know it takes a significant time... More

Other Interview Reviews for Forrester

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Forrester (Boston, MA) in June 2017.

Interview

Pretty basic, straightforward interview process. Phone screen with a recruiter, phone interview with the research director hiring for the position, round of in-person interviews with a mix of research directors, analysts, and current RAs. Interviews were pretty laid back with more of a conversational feel rather than an interrogation. Lots of importance placed on being able to manage multiple projects/priorities, work with potentially difficult analysts, and interest/passion for marketing/martech.

Ultimately a candidate with slightly more relevant experience was chosen. It's rare I find myself not upset when I'm not extended an offer but the experience was so transparent, straightforward, and respectful, I didn't really mind. The reasoning for the decision was made totally transparent and was pretty logical in my mind. The recruiter provided feedback which is something that, as a candidate, I always really appreciate.

While this specific role wasn't a fit at this time, the process left me with such positive view of Forrester as an organization that I'll never hesitate to apply to positions there in the future.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with having to "manage up"?   1 Answer

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Forrester in March 2017.

Interview

As a whole my interview process was well organized and HR was thorough and helpful. I was just very put-off by the head of the team I was interviewing for. The phone interview went well until he asked if I had any questions, I asked about his experience/role and he said it was a very canned question. Everyone comes into interviews with a set of questions, yes, but I just politely laughed it off. But then during the in-person interview when I asked about the structure of the department he said "don't take this the wrong way, but why are you asking this?" I was very confused and wanted to the interview as quickly as possible. He made it a very awkward and uncomfortable experience, stating he worked the least amount on the team and laughing.

Interview Questions

• I was given a slide from a typical report and asked to point out any and all errors   Answer Question

Forrester Response

Sep 11, 2017

Thank you for the thorough feedback. If you'd be willing to share more information, please do contact me directly at jkelly@forrester.com
    Julie Kelly, Director - Talent Acquisition

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Forrester.

Interview

The screening process was wonderful--the recruiter I spoke with was very friendly and casual. But definitely prepare for this as you would an interview. Be prepared to share relevant experience, your strengths/weaknesses, what you know about Forrester, etc.

Interview Questions

• -Tell me a bit about yourself.
      -What do you know about Forrester?
      -What kind of role do you typically have within a group?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

This position was to support the consultants working with Channel Strategy Professionals. I was contacted to arrange a phone interview a day after submitting my resume and cover letter on LinkedIn. However, during our conversation, it was clear the HR associate hadn't taken the time to read my resume, and that the job description on the site did not specify all their requirements (they wanted someone with at least 3 years of experience working in channel strategy roles, which I did not have). The conversation was easy and friendly, but I felt like I wasted my time applying and even lightly prepping for the interview.

Interview Questions

• What were responsibilities in your most recent position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I went in for an in person interview, which consisted of 3 half-hour interviews. The first was mostly informational, about the position and the company. The second was trying to gauge my personality, with questions like, how would your last boss describe you, how would your friends describe you, etc. The third interview was with 2 people, someone who had the role I was applying for and someone who had once been in the role I was applying for. This interview was more of an interrogation than an interview, as my interviewer had her computer open with 3 pages of questions and just read another one off as soon as I was done with my answer to the previous question. The questions were very unique.

What was the last book you read?
    What would you do if you won a $20 million jackpot?
    What are 3 websites/magazines you use to keep up with technology?
    What is your favorite piece of technology other than your phone/computer? Why?
    What is your spirit animal?
    What would another company have to offer you to leave your job?
    What makes you want to set the bar higher for you and your co-workers?
    What would someone who doesn't like you say about you?
    What are 10 unconventional uses for a pencil?

I was told I would hear back within 1 week because they had more people interviewing for the position. After a2 weeks, I hadn't heard back so I followed up. No response. A week later I followed up with them for a second time and finally got a response, saying I would hear back by the end of the week "with more information". Note: this is about 4 weeks after my interview and 3 weeks after I was supposed to hear back. They never emailed me again, not even to tell me I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, interview with hiring manager, and in person interview. The interview with the recruiter was very friendly, and she basically took down some notes and said it would be processed to the hiring manager, and he gets to decide if he wants to move forward or not.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about forrester research, why do you want to work here. Asked to explain some of the experiences on my resume. What would other people describe you as.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

online application, HR screen, hiring manager call, in-office interview with multiple research directors & RAs, Analysts - there was a discrepancy between how HR described the position and how the hiring manager described the position

Interview Questions

• describe working style, what do you know about forrester, how do you motivate yourself, what are your career goals - overall the questions were not too difficult, the follow up questions varied depending on who the interviewer was; everyone was friendly   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

I have to preface this by saying I formerly worked with two Forrester Alumni and when I approached them about the company they had rave reviews of their time there. One held the precise position I applied for and let after two promotions while the other was an Analyst when she left.

I applied via Forrester's website and was contacted within a couple of weeks by a recruiter to set up a phone screen. The phone screen was your typical explanation of the position, the salary, as well as questions pertaining to your resume, why you are interested in Forrester specifically, and whether or not you are still interested in the position after hearing the description, salary, etc. The screen went well and the recruiter doled out some advice about the next round which was a call with the hiring manager for the position. I did have to send a couple of reminder emails to the recruiter between the screen and the next phone call as we had not set an day and time. There ended up being a slight mix up that involved me not receiving a verification email for the call and therefore, I was not available to take said call (these things happen), but we rescheduled a couple days later. This phone call was similar to the first. The hiring manager wanted to be clear about the responsibilities of the position and then delved a bit deeper into "why Forrester" and some additional general background questions. This call also must have went well as I was scheduled to be brought in to meet with 6 people in one afternoon.

No mix ups this time, I was brought in on a Friday afternoon, not many people left in the office (you can have a life at Forrester apparently) and was promptly given a tour by the recruiter. I went through a grueling process of 5 interviews, one being remote with an Analyst in San Fran. There was a large amount of crossover in the questions (which from my perspective was redundant but that were asked by each interviewer, but each person had their own style, background, and personality that contributed to my own impression of the company. The order was: Hiring Manager for my position, Analyst (Senior Analyst? I do not recall specifically), Researcher, Analyst, Research Associate (yes someone in my current role was supposed to be interviewing me, pretty cool if you ask me). However, there was a last minute change where the RA became unavailable so another hiring manager stepped in to finish off the gauntlet at which point I could hardly form coherent words from having been speaking for the previous (2.5 hours?). Subjectively, I did enjoy meeting with a variety of employees in the team as it enabled me to get a better feel for the culture and atmosphere than at other companies I had interviewed with.

The recruiter told me I would be contacted by Tuesday evening about my standing and I actually was contacted by Monday and given a tentative offer which was formalized a couple of days later. I was in the interview process with a couple of other companies at the time, but I knew by then that if Forrester offered I would accept. Unfortunately there was no room to negotiate salary, but considering the company benefits (never forget about the benefits) it was palatable.

Interview Questions

• Would you be a Rock or a Kite? (with the stipulation you have to choose one or the other (you cannot be the string). With the rock being the grounded, level headed item keeping the creative, wandering kite from completely flying away.   1 Answer
    • Other questions were general, primarily focused on: "why Forrester" and "what interests you about this role specifically."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was screened twice by HR and then by a VP (all over the phone) and was invited for an on campus interview. I interviewed with 2 VPs, 2 Analysts, 1 Researcher, and 2 Research Associates. It was a half day of interviewing followed by a data skills test.

I was asked a range of questions like:

Tell me about your experience with data.
    Tell me about your experience with regression analysis.
    What are 10 unconventional uses for a pencil?
    Strengths/Weaknesses?
    Tell me about a time you had to say no to a superior.
    What is your favorite technology? (Looking back my answer for this question was terrible. I should have said rocket ships!)
    Is there a person from your last job who dislikes you and what would they say about you? (I had a lot of fun with this one)

All of the answers were pretty straight-forward. Also, some of the interviewers used behavioral questions.

My total prep time for this interview was 24 hours over 3 days. My HR contact was extremely helpful in coaching and critiquing my stories/answers for potential interview questions.

Good luck.