Forrester Senior Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Forrester Senior Analyst Interview Questions

4.3

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester.

Interview

Just as outlined on the company website, the hiring process for a research / analyst role (any level) requires several interviews - some phone, some in-person - and a writing assignment you do with the hiring manager. If you're selected to continue from there, you'll make a presentation to a number of people in various roles - some will attend in person, others via video con or WebEx.

Interview Questions

• Background and experience questions. Good, intense and challenging questions, asking for your point of view on industry and topics relevant to the role. You'll give your POV - expect additional probing. You'll get some "suppose you were in this situation" questions, asking "what would you do?" The expectation is that you are quick on your feet, give clear "real examples," and definitive. Expect to get pushback on your answers - primarily to see how you handle that. If you've ever interviewed for management or strategy consulting, you know the drill. If you have not, do some prep on that approach.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Forrester

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Forrester in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was long, intense, and quite thorough. This may scare some applicants off, but it actually allowed me to "try on" the role before actually taking it. In other interview processes, you talk about the role and your own capabilities. In this process, I go to do the job and Forrester got the vet my capabilities.

It started with a phone interview with the recruiter, then a phone interview with the hiring manager. Then, I believe I interviewed with several other members of the team. Once I got through that round, I was tasked with writing a brief, which is an Analyst's chief responsibility at Forrester. When I finished and submitted that, I flew to Cambridge to present my report to the team in person.

Yes, it was a long process, but the selection process is so important to employers and candidates that I think it was totally worthwhile.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

It's very involved, but that has been documented elsewhere, and they explain it on the careers section of their website. Essentially you end up pouring about a month of sr analyst work into the process, after the interviews writing a sample analyst report, and then defending it in a presentation. My point though is that after getting excellent feedback on all steps, and me pouring a month work over a two month period into the process, they changed their minds on whether my experience was sufficient for the target audience of their team. The teams at Forrester seem very siloed, yet my experience fit right between two teams. So if that's your situation, think twice whether you want to engage in this process.

Interview Questions

• What are the biggest challenges marketing organizations face these days?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in July 2013.

Interview

Very detailed and took at least 6 weeks. Started with a borage of calls with analysts, researchers and consulting. Then to writing research and a presentation.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in September 2012.

Interview

It started with a few phone interviews that were nice and conversational. Then I worked with the person who would be my boss to write and edit a sample report. I really liked that part because I got to try out my potential new boss as he was trying me out as a writer. That part worked out, so they had me come to the company to do a talk on my report. There were about 10 people in the room and they asked good, substantive questions -- no gotcha questions or stupid brain teasers. The best part was that they told me right there that they wanted to extend the job offer to me. It was really cool. No sitting around waiting for days.

Interview Questions

• One person asked me what was most important to me about writing. I liked that question because it gave us the chance to have a conversation about what makes for quality analytic writing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Forrester (Cambridge, MA) in April 2008.

Interview

This was the most comprehensive interview process I had ever been though. I first had a number of phone screens. The first was with the in house HR recruiter. He was very friendly, but his job was to either screen me out, or help me along the process. After demonstrating how my background matched their needs, we proceeded to the next set of phone screens with the hiring manager and the research director. Both were very matter-of-fact kinds of conversations about my background, my passions for my work, and the very challenging role of being an analyst. They all wanted to hear the questions I asked -- so prepare questions to ask! They want to know how inquisitive you are.

After passing this phase, I came in person for a meet-and-greet interview. Then I was asked to prepare 1. a written report and 2. a presentation. I had two weeks to complete this. We selected a topic, and I was given the standard format that Forrester uses for reports and presentations. The goal here was that this was the work I'd do if I got the job. They wanted to see if I could do it before offering me the job. They did offer help. The template was easy to understand, and they had examples. They simply wanted to see if I could pick up the tone and style of their reports, and if my writing was punchy and compelling. They also wanted to see how I took feedback -- so they made a bunch of corrections and wanted to see how I'd incorporate the corrections into a final product.

Once the paper and presentation was competed, I mailed them in and scheduled the in-person. That was basically a three hour set of 30-min interviews with the rest of the team. The junior team members were not really sure how to interview. They just wanted to get to know if I was someone they could work with.

Finally, I presented to the team (some were on the phone and on video). It was a 45 min preso, with ample time for Q&A. Expect at least one zinger of a question from someone acting like a jerk -- trying to show you up. This is of course just done to see how you react and work with it. After the preso, the team meets for 15 min to talk about you.

They want to know: do you know your stuff? Are you asking questions at the right level of analysis? are you inquisitive? are you arrogant? can you handle pressure? can you write well? can you speak well? Will you present yourself well before clients? can you work with others?

Hiring an analyst is a huge deal for an analyst firm. They will take their time and get the right person. In general, I found that most everyone was friendly and wanted to see this work out. Once they think you are a potential -- then it's your offer to loose. So work with them. Note -- these people are incredibly busy -- so don't expect that they are going to respond to your emails within a day.

Interview Questions

• Where do you think the industry will be in 5 years from now?   1 Answer
    • How do you know that you are not completely wrong about your assessment of "X"?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I found that once they decided that I was going to get an offer, there was really nothing to negotiate. They have a pretty standard package for analyst. I found this phase very easy and non-contentious. They made me an offer that caused me to turn down my other offer and take the job.

Senior Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Forrester in January 2007.

Interview

Lengthy and intense process which involves multiple phone and in-person interviews; writing a research paper and going through two rounds of edits; and presenting on your research paper to a team of analysts in person and on the phone. The analysts attending the presentation will challenge your findings and force you to explain/defend any claims.

Interview Questions

• Scenario based questions about the advice you would give to a client in specific circumstances. This was an opening question that led to several other questions based on your answers.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much wiggle room. It is pretty rigid about salary bands and stingy with alternatives such as options/sign-on bonuses.