Foursquare Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 11, 2017

3.1

Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY).

Interview

Waited beyond my appointed time. The reception simply designates you to sit at the empty corner with chairs while you watch their bulletin advertisement on the wall. The room has opened window display showcasing their employees "focusing" on their laptops because of the modernized hip look of non-desk assigned workstations. The atmosphere gives a very arrogant vibe as people just walk by and your back literally faces the door of their entrance "realm." The recruiter comes out, calls your name and doesn't even bother with any pleasantry talk or even apologize for having me wait beyond the scheduled appointment time. I'm also certain she never introduced herself, I just assume she was the one that sent me the generic interview email. I'm directed to an odd displayed room to wait, finally a manager comes in, sits across me with her laptop typing away, it hasn't even left her possession for a second and not even so much a greeting from her as well. The manager's eyes are completely fixated on her screen typing away with every answer I give as she threw out questions. Then I was informed another manager I would be meeting, I patiently waited as I watched the people through the glass door casually pass by the door. Then appeared two ladies, one that seemed to come in from a coffee break sipping her drink while chatting to the other lady. The one drinking caught my attention because she was in dressed in all gothic black, a cloak-like outfit with a swinging long skirt and a baseball cap to top it off. The lady faces away from the girl and surprisingly makes her way into the room. I'm completely a gasp that this is the manager I'm supposed to meet. In comparison, I'm overly dressed against her Harry Potter style. Again, a lack of eye contact or greeting from her as she sipped her drink, threw questions out while clutching her notepad to write answers. Foursquare has set itself as a brand where employees there should be superstars and anyone they meet are "less than." So be aware of their community culture and how you're initially treated because that is the culture they transpire to be!

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

30min phone screen where general experience/skillsets/interests are discussed.

If you pass the phone screen, then you'll be sent a "take home" mini-project. It could be different now, but for me it was to set up a couple of web servers behind a load-balancing proxy (exposing specific endpoints and providing things such as ssh access), explaining how/why you did things the way you did. It should be drop-dead simple for anyone who's done DevOps/SRE, the point I think is to see how you approach and solve problems.

If you do well on the take home, you'll be asked to come in to their offices for a 3-5 hour panel interview where you'll spend roughly 1hr speaking with each person on the team. Topics covered are roughly: Linux fundamentals, programming, networking, systems design, and trouble-shooting. Basically, be prepared to answer questions spanning the spectrum from "describe what happens when you enter a URL in your browser?" to "how would you architect a service like Twitter and have it scale?"

Interview Questions

• Write some pseudo code to find and output prime numbers?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me. He gave a take home exercise which had 2 coding questions and a design question. then they called for onsite interview. Overall the process was very well planned. Everything was as expected. I had a great experience interviewing with them. Felt that the company cares about the employees

Interview Questions

• questions about take hoe exercise, a coding problem and a system design problem.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I was originally referred by an employee. After speaking with HR, I then had multiple phone conversations with several individuals and then was brought into the office for a series of 30 min interviews. Some were in person and some were via Google Hangouts with the office in SF.

Interview Questions

• As someone with a non-traditional background, what are some challenges that you see for yourself in this role?   Answer Question
    • How would you price this technology to the different communities you will be speaking to?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare in December 2015.

Interview

I applied for software engineer internship position online and contacted a recruiter. I had a nontechnical phone conversation with the engineering recruiter and then had two technical interviews on the phone. The interviewers where very friendly and guided me through out the interview. The interview was very routing, first talking about one of my projects and then 2 technical questions. See below for the topics of technical questions. One week after my last interview I have received an offer.

Interview Questions

• The first interview questions were on HashMaps, LinkedLists and Trees.
      The second one was concerned with sorting, scaliblity and improving the effectiveness of algorithm.
      Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare.

Interview

The PM function at FS is quite broad, given the small size of the team compared to engineering and the company's engineering focus, so PMs do a lot. They are very selective about who they bring on and look for chops as well as product sense, agility and structured thinking.

I was referred internally and got a screen with a recruiter as well as 2 subsequent phone interviews with different product managers. The questions were both technical and behavioral. Although I got positive feedback both times, I did not hear back and later learned through my connection that they had passed.

Interview Questions

• What could Foursquare do with travel?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online. A few days later, had a non-technical phone conversation with the engineering recruiter. After that, there were two rounds of interviews, both 45 minute technical phone interviews. The questions themselves were pretty standard (CtCI). I thought the engineers giving the interviews were very fun to talk to, and they did give me plenty of opportunities to ask about the company and the culture.

Interview Questions

• Design a linked list object in your favorite language (with relevant methods)   Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview itself for this position was not overly onerous; it was a series of one-on-one interviews with members of teams that worked with or above the position. Everyone was friendly and intelligent, and the office was great. There were some technical questions, but most of the questions were about the product itself. My issue with the process was that it took 8 weeks for them to tell me anything after the interview, despite trying to check the status of my application several times. It seemed unorganized and made an otherwise exciting organization seem to be lacking in professionalism and interest in its candidates.

Interview Questions

• What feature would you add to make people check-in more at less exciting venues?   Answer Question

SRE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very accommodating and friendly HR team. After a successful phone interview discussing the ins and outs of the company and team (mostly about the culture, what's expected of members of the team, my background) they flew me out to HQ in SF, Cali and conducted a through technical interview. Discussed infrastructure, design architecture, networks, programming, environment monitoring with multiple interviewers with problem solving scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Describe some networking concepts.   1 Answer

ContentInterview Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare in August 2015.

Interview

I got a phone screening, no tough questions, got asked about my experience with using Foursquare. They are basically looking for a writer as their content intern, and there's no full-time position opportunity after the internship program.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been using Foursquare? Why are you interested in this internship?   Answer Question