Foursquare Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Foursquare Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2017

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screens and then an onsite.

Interview Questions

• They asked in depth about my experience with databases and database schema design as well as efficient use of database constructs. Unfortunately I only had one project in school that dealt with sql for about a week so I didn't have a great deal of experience to call upon. These questions were very unexpected and inconsistent with my other experiences interviewing as a new grad.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me. He gave a take home exercise which had 2 coding questions and a design question. then they called for onsite interview. Overall the process was very well planned. Everything was as expected. I had a great experience interviewing with them. Felt that the company cares about the employees

Interview Questions

• questions about take hoe exercise, a coding problem and a system design problem.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

30min phone screen where general experience/skillsets/interests are discussed.

If you pass the phone screen, then you'll be sent a "take home" mini-project. It could be different now, but for me it was to set up a couple of web servers behind a load-balancing proxy (exposing specific endpoints and providing things such as ssh access), explaining how/why you did things the way you did. It should be drop-dead simple for anyone who's done DevOps/SRE, the point I think is to see how you approach and solve problems.

If you do well on the take home, you'll be asked to come in to their offices for a 3-5 hour panel interview where you'll spend roughly 1hr speaking with each person on the team. Topics covered are roughly: Linux fundamentals, programming, networking, systems design, and trouble-shooting. Basically, be prepared to answer questions spanning the spectrum from "describe what happens when you enter a URL in your browser?" to "how would you architect a service like Twitter and have it scale?"

Interview Questions

• Write some pseudo code to find and output prime numbers?   Answer Question

SRE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very accommodating and friendly HR team. After a successful phone interview discussing the ins and outs of the company and team (mostly about the culture, what's expected of members of the team, my background) they flew me out to HQ in SF, Cali and conducted a through technical interview. Discussed infrastructure, design architecture, networks, programming, environment monitoring with multiple interviewers with problem solving scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Describe some networking concepts.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare in November 2014.

Interview

I just sent my resume on their website. They sent me an email to schedule a 15 mn call an it ended up being a 30 mn call. The recruiter postponed twice the interview (first time she cancelled 5 mn before). When we finally spoke she asked me 'Tell me about you' but she was on her way to the elevator because it was already 5pm in NY and I could hear she was out of breath. A

Interview Questions

• She constantly asked me about foursquare, how to improve it and to explain the technical implementation on the phone. They said that next round would be with the team showing my mockups/wireframes and prototypes to show my ideas and I said I was not interested. I really thought the interview sucked. They are clearly stealing ideas because they have no idea how to make their product better. I am not doing all of that for a second round.   1 Answer

Because I had better offers

Senior Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Take home test followed by 4 rounds of interview and lunch. They interview much like other big silicon valley companies with one exception. They have an interview with a manager in addition to multiple technical rounds. Also don't be fooled by the complicated multiple round interview process. It doesn't matter even if you do well. They really need you to have the skills mentioned on the job requirement and also the technologies they currently work on. The manager round was confusing to say the least.

Don't waste your time if you don't have exact match for the skills requirement. Also a single email rejection after spending days with the HR and a whole work day for interview. Not even a phone call to explain what went wrong.

Interview Questions

• Manager round: What do you like to work on? Wait for the follow up. So does that means you don't like to work on stuff that we are already working on?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare in June 2017.

Interview

Recruiter reached out and we had a good discussion over the phone, then was asked to complete a lengthy coding project assignment. I submitted the assignment within the given timeframe and didn't hear back until after I contacted them several weeks later. Received the standard rejection letter without specifying the reason why. Very disrespectful to the candidate's time since they didn't bother to provide any helpful feedback given the time spent on their assignment.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online on their company job board. A recruiter got back to me after 17 days informing me that he had reviewed my resume and wanted to set up a phone call. We discussed the opportunity over the phone. He told me that the next step would be taking a coding challenge. I had to send an answer to them within a week and I did just that. The coding challenge was of medium difficulty. I liked the type of questions asked. It showed they cared about more than just coding skills. There was focus on system design.

After submitting my answers, I did not hear back from them for 2 weeks. The finally told me that they didn't see a fit for me, which is fine. But asking me to take time out of my life to do their assignment whereas, they can't review the assignment in the same time? That doesn't seem fair. Overall, it didn't feel like a good use of my time.

Interview Questions

• Variation of summary range problem   Answer Question
    • Build a way to route url route paths to their respective function calls   Answer Question
    • Design a microservice within Foursquare (the specifications were given)   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview Process was dragged out and it seemed as though the company was trying to hold on to all their options without letting other candidates know. The actual interview went well and people were nice. Follow up was awful since had to reach out to find out next steps each time.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you encourage a team to deliver a particular feature by a particular date?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First interview was talking to a recruiter who gave me a take home assignment to complete. The take home consisted of two technical coding problems that could be completed in any language and a third technical design problem.

After completing the take home, I was invited for an onsite interview. The onsite consisted of 5 parts, 4 technical and 1 lunch/culture fit. First interview went over my coding solutions to the take home and was asked questions about the technical design document. Next was a couple whiteboard coding challenges. The other two were architecture discussions related to previous systems I had worked on.

After receiving an offer, the recruiter I was in contact with did an amazing job answering all my questions and even scheduled a couple coffee meetings with a people I would be working with so I could make the most informed decision possible which in the end sold me.