Foursquare Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 23, 2017

3.1

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone screens and then an onsite.

Interview Questions

• They asked in depth about my experience with databases and database schema design as well as efficient use of database constructs. Unfortunately I only had one project in school that dealt with sql for about a week so I didn't have a great deal of experience to call upon. These questions were very unexpected and inconsistent with my other experiences interviewing as a new grad.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me. He gave a take home exercise which had 2 coding questions and a design question. then they called for onsite interview. Overall the process was very well planned. Everything was as expected. I had a great experience interviewing with them. Felt that the company cares about the employees

Interview Questions

• questions about take hoe exercise, a coding problem and a system design problem.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

30min phone screen where general experience/skillsets/interests are discussed.

If you pass the phone screen, then you'll be sent a "take home" mini-project. It could be different now, but for me it was to set up a couple of web servers behind a load-balancing proxy (exposing specific endpoints and providing things such as ssh access), explaining how/why you did things the way you did. It should be drop-dead simple for anyone who's done DevOps/SRE, the point I think is to see how you approach and solve problems.

If you do well on the take home, you'll be asked to come in to their offices for a 3-5 hour panel interview where you'll spend roughly 1hr speaking with each person on the team. Topics covered are roughly: Linux fundamentals, programming, networking, systems design, and trouble-shooting. Basically, be prepared to answer questions spanning the spectrum from "describe what happens when you enter a URL in your browser?" to "how would you architect a service like Twitter and have it scale?"

Interview Questions

• Write some pseudo code to find and output prime numbers?   Answer Question

SRE Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very accommodating and friendly HR team. After a successful phone interview discussing the ins and outs of the company and team (mostly about the culture, what's expected of members of the team, my background) they flew me out to HQ in SF, Cali and conducted a through technical interview. Discussed infrastructure, design architecture, networks, programming, environment monitoring with multiple interviewers with problem solving scenarios.

Interview Questions

• Describe some networking concepts.   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare in November 2014.

Interview

I just sent my resume on their website. They sent me an email to schedule a 15 mn call an it ended up being a 30 mn call. The recruiter postponed twice the interview (first time she cancelled 5 mn before). When we finally spoke she asked me 'Tell me about you' but she was on her way to the elevator because it was already 5pm in NY and I could hear she was out of breath. A

Interview Questions

• She constantly asked me about foursquare, how to improve it and to explain the technical implementation on the phone. They said that next round would be with the team showing my mockups/wireframes and prototypes to show my ideas and I said I was not interested. I really thought the interview sucked. They are clearly stealing ideas because they have no idea how to make their product better. I am not doing all of that for a second round.   1 Answer

Because I had better offers

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First interview was talking to a recruiter who gave me a take home assignment to complete. The take home consisted of two technical coding problems that could be completed in any language and a third technical design problem.

After completing the take home, I was invited for an onsite interview. The onsite consisted of 5 parts, 4 technical and 1 lunch/culture fit. First interview went over my coding solutions to the take home and was asked questions about the technical design document. Next was a couple whiteboard coding challenges. The other two were architecture discussions related to previous systems I had worked on.

After receiving an offer, the recruiter I was in contact with did an amazing job answering all my questions and even scheduled a couple coffee meetings with a people I would be working with so I could make the most informed decision possible which in the end sold me.

Interview Questions

• White board the architecture of a system you worked on   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

An overall straightforward process. One phone screen and two technical phone interviews. First one was general string manipulation questions. Second was more related to the particular field of interest I had - mobile. Overall one of the better experiences I've had.

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I was originally referred by an employee. After speaking with HR, I then had multiple phone conversations with several individuals and then was brought into the office for a series of 30 min interviews. Some were in person and some were via Google Hangouts with the office in SF.

Interview Questions

• As someone with a non-traditional background, what are some challenges that you see for yourself in this role?   Answer Question
    • How would you price this technology to the different communities you will be speaking to?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare in December 2015.

Interview

I applied for software engineer internship position online and contacted a recruiter. I had a nontechnical phone conversation with the engineering recruiter and then had two technical interviews on the phone. The interviewers where very friendly and guided me through out the interview. The interview was very routing, first talking about one of my projects and then 2 technical questions. See below for the topics of technical questions. One week after my last interview I have received an offer.

Interview Questions

• The first interview questions were on HashMaps, LinkedLists and Trees.
      The second one was concerned with sorting, scaliblity and improving the effectiveness of algorithm.
      Answer Question

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview itself for this position was not overly onerous; it was a series of one-on-one interviews with members of teams that worked with or above the position. Everyone was friendly and intelligent, and the office was great. There were some technical questions, but most of the questions were about the product itself. My issue with the process was that it took 8 weeks for them to tell me anything after the interview, despite trying to check the status of my application several times. It seemed unorganized and made an otherwise exciting organization seem to be lacking in professionalism and interest in its candidates.

Interview Questions

• What feature would you add to make people check-in more at less exciting venues?   Answer Question