Foursquare Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Foursquare Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

1. Chatted with the recruiter about my background.
    2. Had phone interview with a software engineer. After a few warm up questions, the interviewer gave me two coding questions in the shared text editor. They were both tree questions and both not hard, but I could have done better. The interviewer sounded uninterested and was not very responsive.

Data Analytics Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in December 2013.

Interview

I saw a posting for a full-time data analytics internship in NYC. I leveraged my personal network to make a connection to the talent acquisition team. From there I was extended an invitation to interview over the phone. Both people with whom I interacted were professional and responsive. The interview itself was not terribly difficult. I had to walk through my resume, discuss my interest in foursquare, there were some fit questions, etc. At the end there was a mini technical interview. The interviewer asked five basic SQL questions to test level of comfort with querying. In the end I did not get an offer. My interviewer offered me feedback and let me know that they were interested in my background but needed more availability (I was not available full time).

Interview Questions

• While I'm quite comfortable building queries, I was never professionally/technically trained so I was unfamiliar with the technical terminology associated with queries. "What is the difference between an inner and outer join?"   Answer Question

Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY).

Interview

-applied online
    -received an email to set up an initial phone screen
    -spoke with a recruiter who was very amicable
    -set up a time to speak with the manager and a team member
    -came in and spoke with them for about 45minutes
    -received the offer about an hour later

Sales and Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

they made me very comfortable upon my arrival. thankfully brought my own resume as they did not have the one i submitted with my application. interviewer was very straight forward and ultimately was a quick interview.

Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY).

Interview

Waited beyond my appointed time. The reception simply designates you to sit at the empty corner with chairs while you watch their bulletin advertisement on the wall. The room has opened window display showcasing their employees "focusing" on their laptops because of the modernized hip look of non-desk assigned workstations. The atmosphere gives a very arrogant vibe as people just walk by and your back literally faces the door of their entrance "realm." The recruiter comes out, calls your name and doesn't even bother with any pleasantry talk or even apologize for having me wait beyond the scheduled appointment time. I'm also certain she never introduced herself, I just assume she was the one that sent me the generic interview email. I'm directed to an odd displayed room to wait, finally a manager comes in, sits across me with her laptop typing away, it hasn't even left her possession for a second and not even so much a greeting from her as well. The manager's eyes are completely fixated on her screen typing away with every answer I give as she threw out questions. Then I was informed another manager I would be meeting, I patiently waited as I watched the people through the glass door casually pass by the door. Then appeared two ladies, one that seemed to come in from a coffee break sipping her drink while chatting to the other lady. The one drinking caught my attention because she was in dressed in all gothic black, a cloak-like outfit with a swinging long skirt and a baseball cap to top it off. The lady faces away from the girl and surprisingly makes her way into the room. I'm completely a gasp that this is the manager I'm supposed to meet. In comparison, I'm overly dressed against her Harry Potter style. Again, a lack of eye contact or greeting from her as she sipped her drink, threw questions out while clutching her notepad to write answers. Foursquare has set itself as a brand where employees there should be superstars and anyone they meet are "less than." So be aware of their community culture and how you're initially treated because that is the culture they transpire to be!

Senior UI Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY).

Interview

One of the longest and frustrating interview processes I've ever encountered, especially for someone that didn't apply for the job. I was contacted through a recruiter, had an initial phone screen, then the following week met with a senior designer and the design director. A week later went in for a 3-4hr block of time to meet with four more people on the design team. Three of the four had their laptops out and were literally going through a list of questions and taking vigorous notes right after every one of my answers. Felt like half of them weren't interested in having real conversations, or maybe it felt more like someone in charge was going to go over their notes later. Another week later they asked me to do a design project to understand my thought processes and see the craft in my work. Then the following week they asked me to come in and present my work. At this point I passed.

For a place that stresses their fun culture, their interview process feels corporate and inauthentic. There probably isn't any difference in their interview process whether they're trying to poach you, or not.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Foursquare in April 2013.

Interview

It was a phone interview without online coding.
    The interviewer was nice. He asked two projects in my resume, one was Haoop Programming. Then he asked hashtable vs. hashap, malloc vs. new, process vs. thread, binary search. All kinds of concept questions. He also asked whether I knew Scala Programming Language.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Foursquare.

Interview

Phone interview - basic questions about past work experience and experience using foursquare

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume to their website. Then I got a call from the recruiter. I was scheduled a phone interview. After I passed the phone screen, I was asked onsite.

The onsite consists of four rounds. The questions were quite thought-provoking. The interviewers were also very professional and nice. They always gave me the right hint at the right time. With their help, I was able to get all the questions right. We also had a few nice conversations about their venue quality. The HR was also very responsive. He extended the offer to me the next day after the interview. Also, he was nice enough to organize a few chats between me and different team leaders after my interview.

In general, it was a very nice company. I can feel the passion of the software engineers. I wish their products will become really popular.

Interview Questions

• They ask me to design a spammer detection system. It is not straightforward.   Answer Question

I have more interesting places to go. So I decided to turn down their offer.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare in March 2014.

Interview

2 Tier technical phone interview process, asked general questions about data structures and basic computer science terms then was asked more difficult programming questions and asked to design code and algorithms in the language of my choosing. Was asked for a second interview but did not receive an offer, both interviewers were exceptionally helpful and provided a calming interviewing environment.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a min-heap stack when keeping track of the smallest element?   Answer Question