Foursquare Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Foursquare Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2017

Enterprise Content Marketer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare.

Interview

I got an email from Jessica (recruiter) saying she thought my experience and background was interesting. We set up a phone call and went over the role and a bit about the B2B side of FS. She said I'd do another phone call with the Head of B2B Marketing, and if that went well there'd be an assignment to showcase what I can do before coming in to interview face-to-face with the team.

I had the call with the Kendall, Head of B2B Marketing with basic questions like why Foursquare and what about this role interests me. But not too much about my background or savvy or questions testing my ability to succeed in this role. It was rather quick and I was surprised we didn't go more in-depth.

I was then emailed a few days later saying they went ahead and hired someone else who was "further along in the interview process" than I was. So I never got to do an assignment which was definitely disappointing. Apparently it was a timing issue, more so than a capability or experience issue.

Overall both Jessica and Kendall were nice and pleasant to speak with, and Jessica was good about staying on top of scheduling. It sounded like a great opportunity and I wish whoever got the ECM role the best of luck.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online on their company job board. A recruiter got back to me after 17 days informing me that he had reviewed my resume and wanted to set up a phone call. We discussed the opportunity over the phone. He told me that the next step would be taking a coding challenge. I had to send an answer to them within a week and I did just that. The coding challenge was of medium difficulty. I liked the type of questions asked. It showed they cared about more than just coding skills. There was focus on system design.

After submitting my answers, I did not hear back from them for 2 weeks. The finally told me that they didn't see a fit for me, which is fine. But asking me to take time out of my life to do their assignment whereas, they can't review the assignment in the same time? That doesn't seem fair. Overall, it didn't feel like a good use of my time.

Interview Questions

• Variation of summary range problem   Answer Question
    • Build a way to route url route paths to their respective function calls   Answer Question
    • Design a microservice within Foursquare (the specifications were given)   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview Process was dragged out and it seemed as though the company was trying to hold on to all their options without letting other candidates know. The actual interview went well and people were nice. Follow up was awful since had to reach out to find out next steps each time.

Interview Questions

• Q: How would you encourage a team to deliver a particular feature by a particular date?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First interview was talking to a recruiter who gave me a take home assignment to complete. The take home consisted of two technical coding problems that could be completed in any language and a third technical design problem.

After completing the take home, I was invited for an onsite interview. The onsite consisted of 5 parts, 4 technical and 1 lunch/culture fit. First interview went over my coding solutions to the take home and was asked questions about the technical design document. Next was a couple whiteboard coding challenges. The other two were architecture discussions related to previous systems I had worked on.

After receiving an offer, the recruiter I was in contact with did an amazing job answering all my questions and even scheduled a couple coffee meetings with a people I would be working with so I could make the most informed decision possible which in the end sold me.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

An overall straightforward process. One phone screen and two technical phone interviews. First one was general string manipulation questions. Second was more related to the particular field of interest I had - mobile. Overall one of the better experiences I've had.

Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY).

Interview

Waited beyond my appointed time. The reception simply designates you to sit at the empty corner with chairs while you watch their bulletin advertisement on the wall. The room has opened window display showcasing their employees "focusing" on their laptops because of the modernized hip look of non-desk assigned workstations. The atmosphere gives a very arrogant vibe as people just walk by and your back literally faces the door of their entrance "realm." The recruiter comes out, calls your name and doesn't even bother with any pleasantry talk or even apologize for having me wait beyond the scheduled appointment time. I'm also certain she never introduced herself, I just assume she was the one that sent me the generic interview email. I'm directed to an odd displayed room to wait, finally a manager comes in, sits across me with her laptop typing away, it hasn't even left her possession for a second and not even so much a greeting from her as well. The manager's eyes are completely fixated on her screen typing away with every answer I give as she threw out questions. Then I was informed another manager I would be meeting, I patiently waited as I watched the people through the glass door casually pass by the door. Then appeared two ladies, one that seemed to come in from a coffee break sipping her drink while chatting to the other lady. The one drinking caught my attention because she was in dressed in all gothic black, a cloak-like outfit with a swinging long skirt and a baseball cap to top it off. The lady faces away from the girl and surprisingly makes her way into the room. I'm completely a gasp that this is the manager I'm supposed to meet. In comparison, I'm overly dressed against her Harry Potter style. Again, a lack of eye contact or greeting from her as she sipped her drink, threw questions out while clutching her notepad to write answers. Foursquare has set itself as a brand where employees there should be superstars and anyone they meet are "less than." So be aware of their community culture and how you're initially treated because that is the culture they transpire to be!

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me. He gave a take home exercise which had 2 coding questions and a design question. then they called for onsite interview. Overall the process was very well planned. Everything was as expected. I had a great experience interviewing with them. Felt that the company cares about the employees

Interview Questions

• questions about take hoe exercise, a coding problem and a system design problem.   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

30min phone screen where general experience/skillsets/interests are discussed.

If you pass the phone screen, then you'll be sent a "take home" mini-project. It could be different now, but for me it was to set up a couple of web servers behind a load-balancing proxy (exposing specific endpoints and providing things such as ssh access), explaining how/why you did things the way you did. It should be drop-dead simple for anyone who's done DevOps/SRE, the point I think is to see how you approach and solve problems.

If you do well on the take home, you'll be asked to come in to their offices for a 3-5 hour panel interview where you'll spend roughly 1hr speaking with each person on the team. Topics covered are roughly: Linux fundamentals, programming, networking, systems design, and trouble-shooting. Basically, be prepared to answer questions spanning the spectrum from "describe what happens when you enter a URL in your browser?" to "how would you architect a service like Twitter and have it scale?"

Interview Questions

• Write some pseudo code to find and output prime numbers?   Answer Question

Sales and Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

they made me very comfortable upon my arrival. thankfully brought my own resume as they did not have the one i submitted with my application. interviewer was very straight forward and ultimately was a quick interview.

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Foursquare (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I was originally referred by an employee. After speaking with HR, I then had multiple phone conversations with several individuals and then was brought into the office for a series of 30 min interviews. Some were in person and some were via Google Hangouts with the office in SF.

Interview Questions

• As someone with a non-traditional background, what are some challenges that you see for yourself in this role?   Answer Question
    • How would you price this technology to the different communities you will be speaking to?   Answer Question