Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 1, 2018

2.6

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

I was contacted within a day of submitting my application and interviewed shortly thereafter. At the conclusion of the panel interview another person came in to met with me alone, informing me that the usual phone screening had been skipped because of my qualifications and fit for the job. She explained the urgency of filling the position and proceeded to ask me my salary requirements and other expectations. She pressed me repeatedly for any requirement I might have, and implied all could be addressed, then she asked me if I had any concerns about the job. She said she would get back to me in two days. I never heard from her or anyone else from Fred Hutch again. Two months later my status was changed to "not selected" on their on line system. There was no rejection letter or any other direct communication.

Interview Questions

• Questions were basic--how do I prioritize work demands, what is my leadership style, what is a typical day in my current job...   Answer Question

AV Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

Long and drawn out. Had long delays in getting replies to inquiries and scheduled interview day/time information. Got through phone screen, interview with recruiter and then ultimately with hiring manager and his manager. My biggest issue was, once interviews had been completed, I felt great about it. I enjoyed interviews and I seemed to be very well received and my experience was definitely a fit for the role. However, a week later I find out I was NOT selected. Ok I get that but I email them for some feedback on what perhaps cost me because everything went so well, I was at a loss as to why the strange email I received that didn't match my conversations with them. I asked for some feedback to help me in the future. Did I have a spot on my tie? Did I come off a certain way in the final interview? Anything? I got no replies at all. They completely ignored my emails at that point which I felt was Extremely Unprofessional. A candidate that has invested that much time and effort and has made it all the way to final round, to just ignore them completely was horrid and quite frankly they should be ashamed. They cant reply to all that apply but to not reply to someone that has invested as much, showed zero class and my only positive was that apparently they didn't have the moral fiber I look for in a company. That I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Standard What if Scenarios surrounding support.   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in September 2017.

Interview

the phone and Skype interview set up very quick. Interviewers were very friendly and knowledgeable. You got the hiring decision quick after the interview. HR is very professional, so they will give you good advice for next steps to fulfill with the document requirement. They also are knowledgeable about visa or work permission for an international student

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

My experience with this organization was not pleasant. The initial phone screen was robotic, scripted, and bureaucratic.

The technical phone screen wasn't very positive either. The engineer who I spoke with seemed disinterested, tired, and a tad bit disrespectful.

When the day for the on-site interview happened, I showed up and was told, five minutes before the start, that they needed to delay by an hour. When the interview finally did happen, they were not prepared. The person who was supposed to interview me was apparently not available, and his replacement's behavior was inappropriately rude. Zero smiles. Bad attitude throughout, and nothing but psycho analysis questions that he had surely scraped off of google ten minutes before. No technical questions were asked.

When the department manager showed up (15 minutes late), she decided that the interview should be about her talking for 20 minutes straight about herself and how she managed the department.

I should have walked out on these people. This company has some toxic work place problems.

Interview Questions

• "How do you handle conflict with others in the workplace?"   1 Answer

Research Associate I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

Had brief phone interview regarding position, a week later had interview with PI. PI contacted references later that week. Overall a very relaxed interview process. PI was very nice and did not try to create an intimidating environment. Overall recruiting staff were pretty responsive with keeping me updated.

Information Specialist I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

The first step of the interview process included a brief screening call which followed up with an email to schedule a first round interview. The first round interview lasted two hours, with a panel of three professionals from the department, and included a brief role play.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a time you had to balance conflicting values in the workspace?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Interview

I was emailed to have a phone interview with them and confirmed and they blew me off. I waited for their call for the interview at the interview time and then called them when there was no call and left a message. I even tried reaching out to them by email and did not even receive a response back.

Scheduling Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in July 2017.

Interview

Applied through the Fred Hutch Careers site, received a phone call about a week later offering me a phone interview. I sat down with my phone and interview materials on the agreed upon date and time, and the recruiter called me almost 20 minutes late. They did not apologize for or even acknowledge this inconvenience, and proceeded with the interview as if nothing unusual had occurred.

The actual phone interview itself was fine, as far as I could tell - we discussed job duties and salary, and the recruiter told me that I would hear back from them again by the end of the week (this call took place on a Tuesday). The following week, they still hadn't, so I sent a followup email to check in. No response. A week after that I sent another - still no response. Three weeks after the phone interview, I reached out to the person who had scheduled the phone interview (independently from the recruiter who I had actually spoken with), asking them if there had been any updates and explaining the situation. Still nothing.

It has now been more than two months, and I have not received a response or any sort of communication from anyone at Fred Hutch since my phone interview. I feel that this is an extremely unprofessional way to treat prospective hires, and judging by some of the other reviews on here it looks like I'm not the only one. I was never told that I wasn't selected for the position, although I'm not sure how they can expect someone to remain enthusiastic about working for the company after being left in silence and flat-out ignored for several months. Very disappointing, as I had high hopes for Fred Hutch as a company and prospective employer.

Medical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Interview

Interviewed by phone (lasted approximately 30 mins). Followed by an in-person interview three weeks later. Following this in-person interview, I was asked to return for a second in-person interview, this time with a group. Weeks passed and I had no response from anyone to tell me that I was not accepted for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? What skills do you have which make you suited to the position?   Answer Question

Executive Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume, received a phone call a week later from the Recruiting Leader for Fred Hutch. Seemed like a good connection and she told me that she would definitely call me in a week or so. I never heard from her even after 2 calls placed to follow up. I also found it unprofessional that she shared with me that this is the worst recruiting team she has led and she is trying to overhaul the group.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking? Have you led teams in the past? How big was the group?   Answer Question