Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 13, 2018

2.6

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Phone screen was standard and seemed to go fine. Asking the recruiter questions afterwards resulted in a very hostile response. I expect to be treated professionally with basic respect, and did not see this from the recruiter. Based on my interactions I will not consider Fred Hutch again.

Lab Aide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Applied online and did not hear back for a few weeks. Followed up by e-mail to lab coordinator. Scheduled phone interview a month after applying online. Asked basic questions: "post-graduation plans? Long-term goals? Why our lab?" Was then asked to come in for an in-person interview. Was greeted by the coordinator who interviewed me for half an hour then interviewed by two other lab technicians who are currently working in the lab. Very friendly and inviting. Asked lots of questions regarding scenarios that can occur in the lab, calculating concentrations, etc.

Interview Questions

• Calculating molarity or specific lab preparation questions: "If you have a stock concentration of X M...etc."   Answer Question

Lab Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email to schedule phone interview 1 week after applied. Got another email to schedule in person interview with the team. Everyone was friendly and relaxed. Basic questions about education history and experience. The team explained the job duties and what they're doing. Got the job offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect from this job?
      What did you study at school that makes you want to work at this lab?   Answer Question

Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in January 2013.

Interview

Brief, not many questions, most of the time was spent talking about scope of work to be done. This was at a very busy time in research (which is actually not the case now)

Interview Questions

• specific instrument and assay questions   1 Answer

Staff Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

Interview

phone interview first and then on-site interview. Overall it's not very hard, but still need to prepare it. should be very familier to what you have written in the cv.

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in July 2010.

Interview

GENERALL PEOPLE ARE NICE HERE. but they will know what they wnat. pretty competitive environment here. not very generous in terms of payment of the interview expense. much less generous than industry. good communication skill are required to achieve an offer. beatiful view and life condition here. about 2000 employees here and so many asian chinese scientist around the center. biology, and statitician are most favoriable postion in htis center

Clinical Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in April 2010.

Interview

1. Phone interview.
    2. Day one, 1:1 interview with manager.
    3. Day two, 1:1 interview with P.I.

Interview asked everything that was listed in the job requirements. Never did they ask "how do you handle personality conflicts?" To me, that's a red flag.

Interview Questions

• There was not a tough interview question. Just had to read and relate my experiences to the list of potential questions.   Answer Question
    • There was not a tough interview question. Just related my work experiences and how they will, in a beneficial way, apply to the career I want.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate salary. I asked what the base salary was and worked from there.

Web Developer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in February 2014.

Interview

Like others here have said, it took the better part of two months to hear back. So long that I'd written them off and for the most part had forgotten I'd even applied.

Phone interview: Recruiter seemed to enjoy spending more time talking about a lot of hot air than actually listening. When asked about tangible benefits like paid holidays he said, "We offer more paid holidays than banks! Look on a calendar and if it's a holiday we probably observe it!" Yet he didn't answer the question.

When asked about paid vacation he dodged again, and in a round about way said two weeks, following that up with a lengthy statement about how you really could take as much time as you wanted regardless what the actual vacation policy is, that it's really no problem. Umm... Yeah... Sure...

The salary range was abysmally low. I understand that working for 1) big orgs, and 2) big non-profit orgs tends to skew the salary on the low end, but you could make more money slinging burgers at a fast food joint.

The recruiter told me during the interview that they were also hiring a Senior Dev position that would manage the group (the worst of both worlds, IMO). It was a positin I was unaware of and when I asked if he could tell me more about it as it fit my skill set better, he said I should go onto their site and look it up and get back to him because he didn't have it in front of him. I replied via email with some general questions about salary, expectations, time spent managing vs time spent coding, etc., and didn't hear anything back. After 10 days I sent a polite follow up email, more out of annoyance than anything else, and the recruiter replied a week after that to apologize that he'd been out of town (odd, as there were no OOO auto-replies) and that I should call him and he'd be happy to answer my questions. Again, dodging the questions I put to him.

For all the great work FHCRC does, they certainly make a sleazy impression on the recruiting end. Between an insultingly low salary and a recruiter that came across more like a used car salesman, I decided not to pursue things further. Thanks, no thanks.

Interview Questions

• Really, the most difficult thing was getting through the phoner without wanting to shout at the recruiter to stop talking about himself.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Very informal. They ask about your ability to work in teams, what you hope to do in the future, etc. Just be yourself. They really won't ask for anything more than that.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if your lab partner is struggling   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Seattle, WA) in February 2016.

Interview

applied by online on their site; called, interviewed by three individuals within a week of app. interviews with candidates were back-to-back. job seemed interesting; amazing opportunity to contribute to cancer research. superior asked most questions and was very knowledgeable and friendly; did not develop rapport with other two. it was obvious that interview did not go well.