Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 15, 2017

3.1

Entry Level Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I was told that there were three rounds. I only went to the first one. I met with three different people, none of them were attorneys. I thought it went really well but I did not get called back for a second round.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a difficult situation and how you overcame it?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

There were multiple rounds with partners and associates. Most of the interviews were 1:1 but there was at least one round with two partners present.

The interviews were about 20-30 minutes in length. As expected, partner/counsel interviews were a bit longer and more substantive. Associate interviews tended towards culture and fit assessment. Well-rounded process. At the time of my interview, there was equal emphasis on culture and fit, in addition to legal/technical ability. The firm was more aligned with the positive aspects of the UK/EU culture. My sense is that this has changed recently. Partners with a longer history with firm and/or experience in other offices have a greater appreciation for culture than many of the newer associates or lateral partners.

Interview Questions

• How would a friend describe your best and worst three qualities?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for associates; likely different for counsel and partner hires. Flexible and friendly when discussing start dates. Overall positive and transparent process.

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (New York, NY) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied through my university's career website. Made it through three rounds of interviews, was not called back for a fourth.

The HR staff was unprofessional towards me throughout all three rounds. They managed scheduling very poorly and were unclear about their intentions. It took me 4 weeks before I heard back from any HR person regarding the status of my application after I took the standard 2 week protocol before calling and emailing my HR contact.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about being a paralegal?

Why Freshfields?

PowerPointSpecialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in November 2011.

Interview

I responded to an ad on the internet the client responded within 2 minutes of me posting. We spoke for about 15 minutes about my experience. Two days later the client call me to tell me that they wanted to use my services relating to a legal litigation presentation in Power Point. I worked for 5 days over 14 hours a day til finish. Client was extremely happywith my performance and was recommended to other clients within Freshfields

Negotiation

$40/hr

Human Resources Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I initially had a phone interview lasting 30 mins checking that my experience matches the role. Then there was a two step face-to-face interview -The first was with the HR Manager and the program manager. I then had a following interview with the global head of transformation. What was really disappointing was despite going through a three stage process and completing all stages of the interview, I wasn't given any feedback on whether I was successful or not. I had no point of contact so I don't know who my recruiter was as I had had different people contacting me to update me on the hiring process. So overall whilst the people I interviewed with were pleasure to meet, the hiring process itself and communication was extremely poor.

Interview Questions

• What about your experience makes you suitable for this role?   Answer Question

Vacation Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Begins with a written exercise based testing basic critical thinking skills and ability to spot errors or typos. Then an interview with a partner and associate focusing on strength-based questions and discussion of my application. Then had a tour of the office. This was followed by a case study interview with a different partner and associate focusing on a recent current affairs article from the FT.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (Manchester, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

An initial chat with a member of hr, which was followed by a telephone interview and a 1:1 interview on a different date. The whole process was seamless and straight forward.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage stakeholder engagement.
      How do you document requirement.

Domain Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester City Centre, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (Manchester City Centre, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Freshfields do not use recruitment consultants, therefore you need to apply directly from their careers site.

To apply I selected the role, created a profile, and uploaded my CV.

Within two weeks I received a call from their specialist IT recruitment team who provided me with the background to the role, the organisation as a hole and the opportunities available. In addition he also briefly talked through my CV to assess (at a high level) whether I was suitable for the role.

Within two weeks of the initial call a telephone interview with the line manager was arranged. The interview was very informal / relaxed. This gave me the opportunity to open up and feel comfortable to ask questions.

I received feedback from the telephone interview within a couple of days and were advised that a face to face interview would be arranged within the next month. The delay between the telephone interview and face to face interview was due to the large scale changes happening within Business Services and the fact the line manager was based in London. I was contacted a week or so later and offered a face to face interview in Arndale Tower, Manchester.

The interview took place ~3 weeks after the telephone interview and consisted of me creating and presenting a presentation on Domain Architecture followed by a very informal 'chat' with the line manager and another member of the team.

Although I have made reference a couple of times re the informality / relaxed process, those conducting the interviews were very knowledgeable and asked some great questions that made me think. The informality / relaxed interview process ensured I felt comfortable throughout the process and felt I was able to say 'I don't know'.

Overall i would consider the interview process, start to end, one of the best I have experienced.

Interview Questions

• I didn't feel the interview questions were pre-written. During the face to face interview the line manager had no paperwork in front of him, we simply had a conversation, including drawing things on a whiteboard.

The questions that I were asked were initially based on my presentation, a couple around my previous experience, and the rest were generated from our conversation.

Trainee Solicitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Competency interview - like a relaxed conversation, getting to know me; written exercise - various questions on correspondence and instructions and also editing an email; analytical interview - intense. Not something one can really prepare for. Strong test of commercial ability, ability to think on feet and deal with pressure. By far the hardest interview of my life but great experience.

Interview Questions

• Why not a barrister? Why a solicitor?
      How else can a business run the operations of a building with out franchising or owning the building?
      What do you do to relax in your busy schedule?
      What recent news has caught your interest?
      How do you think RevPAR is calculated?

Winter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer (Melbourne (Australia)) in April 2016.

Interview

It was a simple one-stage interview with an HR officer and a partner.
    The partner was very friendly but he was good at imposing pressure on the interviewee.
    I could tell in retrospect that what he really wanted to know was whether my personality and potential could fit into the job.
    But after the interview, the HR officer replied to me with an offer in a couple of days.

Interview Questions

• The partner has dominated the interview and asked lots of questions about my experience on the CV.   Answer Question