Fund for the Public Interest Outreach Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Fund for the Public Interest Outreach Interview Questions

2.1

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest in November 2015.

Interview

I was called out of the blue asking if I'd be interested in applying for the Citizen Outreach Director. I never applied to this company but they pushed me to accept an interview later that week. I'd done my research ahead of time so I knew they weren't the best company to work for. Seems weird to me that a company claiming to fight for the public interest won't let it's workers unionize or pay them a living wage. Anyway, they really tried to put a positive spin on the company in the interview. When asked how many hours I'd be working per week, they were somewhat evasive saying 40-80 depending on the time of year. They offered me a second round interview but I didn't take it.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview question. Why are you interested, give an example of a time you took a leadership role, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got contacted for a phone interview. Phone interview asks generic questions, such as why do you want to work for us and tell us about your experience, and then the 2nd round interview is on skype. The 2nd round interview pretty much just asks the same questions as the first one.

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

I was called for interview said I do qualify to apply for Citizen outreach director position. Apply online you should hear from them. Its been over 14 days haven't heard from them yet

Telephone Outreach Caller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Boston, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

Very cursory. Interviewer talked about herself and discussed the organization's work in a recited script-like way. Asked to explain why interested in the job. Asked to read a script and complimented about its delivery. 2nd interview leads quickly to performing, then real on-phone performance.

Citizen Outreach Director Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest in April 2014.

Interview

I was referred to the Fund by another organization I interviewed for and they called me out of the blue for an interview for an Assistant Canvass Director. Then they sent me an email setting up a time to talk. Apparently whoever schedules these things does not understand time zones. I missed the first call because they called an hour early while I was in class. We rescheduled and she confirmed in an email a very specific time, and then still called 2 hours early. I managed to take the call and do the interview. The interview itself was not difficult. If you have canvassed before you know what they are looking for.

They ask about you, why you want the job (which was somewhat difficult to answer since I hadn't actually applied), what you know about the company and job, and then they basically tell you about what you'll be doing. It was more an informational interview in some ways. Mostly they want to know that you care about the causes and are willing to work ridiculous hours.

They were somewhat evasive about how pay and training works, how many hours you would work, how you are placed (they could send you all over the country), and they don't explain how you are supposed to become an expert canvasser in 2 weeks. (The expectations around fundraising are never explained in the process and I know that canvassing turnover rates are high because people fail to meet fundraising goals. So my questions about job stability were not answered well.) I'm pretty sure they have some kind of script explaining the job since all three of my phone calls with people at the Fund gave me almost verbatim answers to my questions.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too unexpected. Why you want to work for the Fund? What your qualifications are? If you know about and care about the causes they work on? Where you want to be placed? What considerations would influence your decision to accept the job if you were offered a position?   Answer Question

I was eventually offered a position in the city I wanted and I had two phone conversations about pay and benefits. They were very inflexible about the start date with only 3 weeks notice. The pay for directors is atrocious, coming out to around $4-5 an hour on a $25,000 salary because they expect you to work around 80hrs a week. They never sent me a written copy of the pay, benefits, health plan information, and other information I asked for. Because of the extremely short notice that would have required me to move to a new city and start work within a week of graduation (and this was later than they wanted me to start) I had very little time to secure housing.

The bad pay and inflexibility made me decide to decline the job. For a progressive company that works of social justice causes you'd think their labor practices would be better.

Citizen Outreach Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (College Park, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

Called me to schedule appointment. We're not able to accommodate my schedule easily. Showed up at their very inconvenient time only to be told that I should be there and rushed out. Rescheduled appointment several times for interview, we're generally rude. After the third interview attempt I talked to them for a few minutes which was the interview. They then called and said they lost my resume

They were rude and cancelled several times

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

There is a first round interview and a second round interview. Usually one of them is in person or via skype. You will hear back within 2 weeks after your second round interview. The interview is challenging, but the interviewers really work to get to know you and tell you a lot about their experience, which makes it less intimidating.

Interview Questions

• There is an organizing scenario question and there are a lot of the typical questions you should know if you're practicing job interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest (Phila, PA).

Interview

Where to begin. Their management is a joke. Especially in the Philadelphia office. I remember when I first went for an interview. The first time, it was a FM lieterally reading from a script. From working from another place, the script was almost the same as the previous place. My over 15 years experience left me with " we will let you know " to " sorry, we went with someone more qualified": The next interview was with some kid, and I use that term strongly, he was maybe 21. He didn't even want to interview me - he came out and told his FM that someone was going to be coming in for an interview -- I was already there, early, waiting, I told him, I can hear him. He knew i was there 0 such disrespect already. Then the positions in which were claimed to be open for the Philly office weren't -- I answered all the questions and even told him I would move in the next week to any city in the country he might need me I wanted to see if they were actually hiring people or possibly trying to get their personal information or something. Odd how I get emails from them now asking for money ... This place is a joke - especially the Philly office and whomever oversees that region. Then again, if all the ads are a lie,a d their FMs lie im sure he was lying about his title too.

Interview Questions

• None, the guy was reading from a script he memorized and didnt hear a thing I had to say. The second guy literally was just scribbling on a note pad. ALL of them are liars . Its sad realy.   Answer Question

go ahead and google - The Fund For Public Interest - see what you get

Interview

Interviewed in person with Assistant National Canvass Director a couple of weeks after starting as a Field Manager. Interview was very casual in nature and was basically a prolonged conversation. Typical interview questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "what is your biggest weakness". Lasted about 20 minutes and I received an offer in about a week.

Volunteer Outreach Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Fund for the Public Interest.

Interview

I had one interview during a job fair after talking to a representative for a little while. It went well and I got a call after about setting up another interview with someone via skype. During the week we had scheduled the interview, I was unable to reach anyone or receive information about the interview and got a call several hours after the scheduled time asking to reschedule. We planned for later that week and I got some information on the person I was to be interviewing with but was told it would be done on their side. The day of the interview as the it was supposed to start I was called again by someone else and asked to reschedule for the next day. The following day I was once again left waiting for my interview and then called in to ask to be removed from their list of potential applicants. I was really interested at first, but after reading other accounts of employees and this interview experience, I decided to put my efforts elsewhere.