GE Global Research Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

3.2

Materials Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GE Global Research (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

I worked at GE global research as a summer intern. The manager is satisfied with my work, and would like to hire me. She step down after the intern, but told me she will try very hard to help with my job application. Unfortunately, the new manager had different opinions. I applied online, internal reference, went there for on site interview. It took a day, people are very technical there. You will make a technical presentation, and talk to manager, group members and finally HR. Few behavior questions. They canceled the opening after long time waiting.

Computer Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GE Global Research.

Interview

Had a phone interview and asked questions related to my computational experience and phd research project.

Interview Questions

• How efficient are you when it comes to developing models? what's most challenging task you have seen so far   Answer Question

Research Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GE Global Research (Niskayuna, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Overall interview process went extremely quickly, as they had urgent need for several positions. I submitted my resume through their career website and received a response requesting an interview within 24 hours. Total time from submission until offer was less than two weeks.

Interviews happened in three stages: a non-technical initial phone screen by HR, a technical phone interview by the hiring manager, and then an on-site interview. Technical phone interview lasted approximately three hours, and covered a large variety of topics. Questions ranged from Taylor series to Bayesian statistics to computational complexity theory, plus general assessment of my background and expertise. Onsite interview included one-hour technical seminar presenting my past work, additional technical questions, and meeting with the team.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about determining if a coin was fair?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for more than I expected, and got what I asked for.

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GE Global Research (Niskayuna, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview process has been smooth so far. There was first a phone interview followed up by an onsite interview. The ability to compensate for interview travels is a plus. The company seems process driven which is good because you know what you getting into....

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GE Global Research (Schenectady, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

Had a couple of phone interviews with a team member and the manager, and was then invited on-site for an all-day interview. Was flown into Albany airport, which is really small, and hard to find direct flights. On the day of the interview, was greeted at the entrance by a team member for breakfast, followed by a 1 hour technical presentation to ~10 people on a technical topic of your choice. This was followed by two 1-hour technical interviews. The folks are really smart, but will also ask questions for them to understand your topic. The questions were not completely related to my presentation, some were general mechanical engineering questions on structural design, manufacturing, etc.

Lunch was provided, and I met with two other managers from the organization to discuss about the work done by other groups, and work-life in general. After lunch, had one meeting with the HR (standard HR STAR questions like give me a time when, why do you think you are the right candidate, expected salary), a meeting with a Principal Engineer, and the Technology Leader. The long day concluded with a concluding discussion with my would-be manager.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to my presentation, as well as basic mechanical engineering questions. I am assuming these depend on the position you are applying for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried to negotiate, but the company did not change at all

Lead Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GE Global Research (Niskayuna, NY).

Interview

Interview process was long and consisted of a phone screening followed by an in-person interview. The in-person interview consisted of a 1.5 hour technical talk along with half a dozen 30 minute interviews and took from 730am to 330pm. It was a long day where I was asked a lot of questions but it was handled well and very professionally. I was offered a job the next morning so the response time was very quick.

Interview Questions

• Would you be happy not working on your area of expertise.   1 Answer

Salary was too low, did not justify leaving current position. GRC's salaries are not on par with other top-notch research institutions such as the National Labs or space or oil-sector research groups. Albany has a reasonable cost of living which makes up some for that.

Materials Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GE Global Research (Niskayuna, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

p h o n e i n t e r v i e w --- o n s i t e --- o f f e r n e g o t i a t i o n

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at GE Global Research (Niskayuna, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

a first round of Phone screen by a couple of technical staff who were senior --> onsite interview including many 1:1, one 3:1, and a presentation to broad audiences, a couple of dinners with other candidates and employees --> offer

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at GE Global Research (Niskayuna, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

Usually works through referrals. I knew somebody working there who forwarded my resume. One phone call by the hiring manager. One technical phone interview. Then on site. Day started with one hour technical interview. Discussion type questions trying to check if you know your stuff. Not brain cracking puzzles. Then give a presentation on your previous work and projects. Here they test you throughly and you do get a handful of questions in a room full of 10-12 people. If you know your stuff, you would generally be okay. Then meet with manger and discuss the position in detail. Then meet with manager's manager. If these are technically strong they might test you thoroughly. Mine did. Then meet with 4-5 researchers for half and hour each. Then two one hour long behavioral interviews trying to see if you fit in the culture. Then meet with the immediate group you would be working with. Then hr interview. And then gone. Usually get back to you in a week. Mine did in less than a day. It's a good streamline process they have.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions. And why you want to work for the company types questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much. When hr ask for salary, give a high requirement. Then easier to negotiate. They don't give any other perks to high salary is crucial.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Niskayuna, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GE Global Research (Niskayuna, NY) in July 2012.

Interview

I was contacted via email for a position to which I had not applied, but they had my resume on file from a previous application. First I was screened via a phone interview, during which the supervisor explained the position and asked me about my career and extracurricular interests, and the classes that I had taken - nothing technical. I was asked to come interview on-site at the research center campus in Niskayuna, NY. I had to bring photo-identification to get through security. I was interviewed by my direct supervisor and his leading subordinate (who was very kind, but clearly there because he was asked and not because I was interested in the interview process). The supervisor was very enthusiastic, interested and asked several behavioral questions. He asked me to give an example for times that I demonstrated some key skills, like resourcefulness/innovation. He asked about how I thought my background aligned with the position. The interview process took about 1-1.5 hours and was very smooth, relaxed, and almost fun. No technical questions were asked, but the EHS intern job wasn't a very technical job. From what I saw at GE-GRC, GE has a lot of great managers (knowledgeable, practical, empathetic, organizational savvy) that make the interviewing process as least-painful as they can.

Interview Questions

• He asked to give examples of times I showed certain skills, like resourcefulness, approach to problem solving/critical thinking. He asked about a conflict within an organization or team and the end result.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Maybe because I was a sophomore in college, but I didn't even think to negotiate.