GE Interview Questions in Schenectady, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 15, 2017

3.1

Payroll & Benefits Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews and 1 onsite interview. The first phone interview was with the recruiter and the second was with the hiring manager.

I had 2 separate meetings during my onsite interview. The first meeting was with the Sr Manager and Manger. It was hard to take the first meeting seriously because the Sr. Manager was laughing a lot for some unknown reason. The second interview was with 2 specialists who were in the role I was interviewing for. The interviews was structured and I was provided with a thorough overview of the position.
    I was informed that a hiring decision would be made after the holidays. I sent two follow up emails to the recruiter after the holidays and did not receive a response. After not receiving a response, I knew that I was not selected for the position. I checked my status a couple of weeks later and saw that it was updated. The day after I checked online I received an auto generated email informing me that I was not selected.

It was completely unprofessional of the recruiter to not respond to my emails. As a recruiter, I understand that it might not be possible to call everyone that is not selected for a position. However, responding to my emails would have taken less than 5 minutes. The lack of response and ultimately respect for my time, tainted my candidate experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you failed or were unable to complete an assigned task and how to responded? (I do not remember the exact phrasing so I paraphrased)   Answer Question

Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Got a call from a recruiting agency based on my Linked In profile and told them I was interested in interviewing. I was called within 2 days and conducted a phone interview with the hiring manager that lasted more than an hour. Answered several questions about managing groups, examples of situations when I had to demonstrate problem-solving skills and disagreements with both superiors and subordinates. After that I was called by the recruiting agency to inform me that they wanted to see me for an in-person interview with several other managers. I agreed and the next week met with 3 managers for 15 minute conversations around my experience and what I could expect on the job. I received an offer 6 hours later and took the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with your supervisor and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Initial phone interview, followed by multiple face to face interviews with multiple people in various departments in the organization, than another round of interviews with new manager and employees in the potential team group.

Interview Questions

• Did I have familiarity with long range business planning.   1 Answer

Regional Quality Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Relaxed interview with 4 individuals. Good conversations based on my experience and the roles of the positions. The interview did not include a factory tour. All interviewers were friendly and described the workplace environment in a positive manner. The interview process lasted about 45 minutes per interviewer.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

First was a phone interview which took about 30 minutes. Followed by a long in person interview with 7 different people in 30 minute intervals. The questions were only a little repetitive, but otherwise very nicely coordinated. I was also able to speak to a current employee who was not part of the decision process hand who answered questions about employment candidly. Onsite location had a very nice HR facility, I stayed in one room, the interviewers came to me at the scheduled times. I had been given access to their website in advance and there were very comprehensive instructions and information on there. I am already local, but for people who were there are directions, hotel recommendations and instructions for reimbursement.

Interview Questions

• Name one time you were involved in changing a process.   1 Answer

Global Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY).

Interview

Applied online for one of about 13 positions. Each position listed a short job description and there was no way of applying for a particular position (just applied for the generic global operations intern). There was a phone screen followed by a unique interview extravaganza. Interviewing was the equivalent experience of speed dating. Met with various departments for approximately 20 minutes each and was asked the same questions throughout. Was difficult to gauge if any of them were a good fit with such a short amount of time dedicated to each department. Heard back about a month later with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if one of your teammates was not pulling his or her weight?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY).

Interview

Brief and direct. Felt more of me interviewing them instead of they interviewing me. Two individual interviews with a panel at the end. Time between interview, feedback and offer was excessive.

Interview Questions

• When prioritizing tasks to perform, how do you decide what should go first, second and so on?   Answer Question

FMP- Financial Management Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

There was an information session, and then an on campus interview, and the a second round interview at one of their headquarters. It was felt very relaxed, and normally they would call you to tell you that you had advanced.

Interview Questions

• Pick one thing on your resume and tell me why you think it matters   Answer Question

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

Simple and straightforward. There was an application followed by in-person interviews with three different people. I interviewed with the would-be manager, HR, and another leader who I would work with if offered the role. GE covered the travel and lodging costs for the interview. The interview was focused on experience oriented questions/behavioral. They were very interested in how I handled different scenarios.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

GE was open to negotiating.

Data and Metrics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GE (Schenectady, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I received an email from a Recruiter with Yoh (Company GE contracts their Recruitment out to) to set-up a phone interview. The phone interview was brief (about 20-25 minutes). Pretty straightforward and basic. She asked me to talk about some of the experiences on my resume. Then she asked me to talk about my experience analyzing data, experience with relational databases, and problem solving.

I was invited on site for in-person interviews about 2 weeks later. I met with the HR Manager first, then I had an interview with two co-workers, and then finally an interview with the hiring manager.

Had my onsite interviews on a Thursday and received a phone call from the HR Manager the following Monday with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to anticipate a business change and how you responded to the change. For the most part, there were behavioral interview questions. My interviewers did not completely "stick to the script" though.   Answer Question

Negotiation

HR Manager presented an offer that was at the low end of the salary range I provided. I asked if it was negotiable. She said something to the effect of "our compensation team feels pretty confident that this is a fair offer with respect to the position and the labor market." She didn't really give me a straight answer. I didn't negotiate and in hindsight, I should have. The position definitely warrants more money.