GEICO Auto Damage Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 8, 2017

3.6

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GEICO (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two phone interviews and one in-person interview. The first two phone interviews asked basic questions surrounding my personality and professional experience. The third in-person interview consisted of a personality quiz and a role-play interview.

Interview Questions

• They situated me in a room with a recording/paperwork and asked me to role play a position.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GEICO (Alexandria, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online, including a personality assessment test. Within a few hours I received an email with a link for additional assessment tests - reading comprehension and visualization. After completing those, I received an email the next day with a link to schedule a telephone interview, which I scheduled for the following afternoon. It was scheduled for up to an hour, but the recruiter was about 15 minutes late and apologized for having to end it at 45 minutes. I'm terrible with interviews. However it went really well. The questions were mostly "have you ever...", "How did you handle the situation...", etc. The recruiter told me to expect a call from one of the supervisors to schedule my role play session. That was scheduled for early the following week. I also received an email with a link to complete a fleet auto underwriting application to confirm I was acceptable to drive company vehicles.

Based on reviews I had read, I was terrified of the role play session. But it was one of the best interview experiences I have ever had. For those who think the GEICO process is unnecessarily complex and difficult, you have to consider they are taking a big gamble on the person they decide to hire. The first 3 months at the company you are in class learning how to do the job and you're being paid for it. Any way, the role play starts with 30 minutes of instruction of how the session will play out and the rules of the game. I saw it as dungeons & dragons without the dice or improvisational acting with guidelines. The secret is stay positive, stay confident, and follow the rules/guidelines as presented.

After the role play they said they would review the results, total my score, and get back to me in a few days. I left figuring I blew it. Less than two hours later the supervisor called to let me know the manager was on vacation, but she wanted to talk to me the next day. He gave me her cell number and the time to call. The next morning we talked for about 30 minutes or so. The first thing she asked was how I thought I did on the role play. We discussed it for a few minutes then reviewed some of the questions from the initial interview. We also discussed the stress of keeping the insured happy while staying within the guidelines of the claims process. At the end she offered me the position, which I gladly accepted. Time from submission of my application to tendered offer was 8 days.

The next steps are a background check and drug tests (urine and hair samples).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry customer. How did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Auto Damage Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GEICO in August 2016.

Interview

I can appreciate the long process that helps assure the proper selection of candidates for the job. Below is the process I have been through up to this point:

8/18 - Application submitted online
    8/19 - Request received to complete online assessment. Assessment was completed on he same day.
    8/26 - Call received from a kind gentleman who I felt I built a good rapport with. He informed me that I passed the assessment and would be forwarding my information to the "local" management for an interview.
    8/26 - My Jobs on the website was updated to "No Longer Under Consideration.)
    8/29 - I found the above noted update early in the morning. I am totally dumbfounded.

I have sent a follow up email and voicemail with the
    HR team in my area. I remain hopeful that it was an accidental oversight.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GEICO (West Palm Beach, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview:

They have an automated scheduling system to set up a phone interview, making things convenient. Recruiters are hard to get ahold of, but this is where the positives ended. The first question I got asked was "in the last year, how many unscheduled absences and tardies have you had?" Okay...I'm a grown man and a professional. My job performance hasn't been measured with attendance since my high school position at the local grocery store. I'm familiar with the area in West Palm Beach where they're located, and I found it hard to believe that employees are never tardy. When challenged, she replied with the cookie cutter reply "GEICO is committed to its employees and we need to be on time." Yeah, ok.

They're looking for people to train in Virginia for four weeks and then somewhere in the region for another eight, so if you have a family or wife, don't mention that. They must have some serious losers in claims if they need to be away for 12 weeks.

The interviewer stunk. She was reading a script the entire time, it was very obvious. She didn't ask any follow-up questions, just reread the job ad duties with "do you have any concerns" EVERY SINGLE TIME. I wasn't asked about my experience, or even the classic "tell me about yourself." Ditto for questions I might have had. All of the questions were scripted (her replies too, I believe) and it's obvious they're using lower level people to weed out applicants. The type of "I don't know if this is for you" interview usually used in blue collar job interviews.

The kicker is that at the end of the interview she said "we probably won't be hiring you. I'm still going to send the information though." I've never heard of somebody being told they didn't get the job in the interview, especially when indeed, they did have an automated email moments later.

I wouldn't bother with this job unless you're directly out of college with no work experience. They're looking to hire a certain "profile" of person, and judging from the reviews, their employees are treated like numbers. They have a call center atmosphere where everything is micromanaged by metrics. They won't come out and say it, but from the tenor of their questions, this is more of a 50-60 hour a week job than the 8-4:30 they promise. Jobs like this just aren't worth it.

Interview Questions

• "...we often have to appraise damage in dangerous neighborhoods. Do you have any concerns?"   Answer Question
    • "...how many unscheduled absences and tardies do you have going back one year?"   Answer Question
    • "...often because of traffic and the times of our damage appraisals happen after hours. Do you have any concerns?"   Answer Question
    • "...you'll be away for twelve weeks for training. Do you have any concerns?"   Answer Question

Auto Damage Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO in February 2016.

Interview

"Unfortunately I cannot give you feedback on your interview because you can re-apply in six months, and feedback would provide you an unfair advantage over other Candidates. Management has decided to pursue other Candidates whose background and skills are more closely aligned with our current opening. "

This is what I got as a reply from recruiter asking him why I was not still considered. I asked what I may have said or answered in phone interview before the roleplay interview. I then sent an email asking how I got this far in the process having them see my background on my resume.
    A bunch of crap leading somebody on when they know my background and skills. It may be just the stupid standard answer. But come on, be truthful with people.
    A waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an angry customer and how you handled the situation. Typical STAR stuff.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Orlando, FL).

Interview

The telephone interview was pretty basic (Tell me a little about yourself. What do you know about the position. Describe what you think a typical day consists of for someone in this position. etc.). The onsite interview is a different monster.

If you have experience in this particular field, you should be fine. However, if you do not have experience in this field, good luck. Upon arrival, you are placed into a room. You are given several documents that you have to review. There will be a tape recorder reading you the instructions, and you'll have the instructions to read along. After the tape recording (about 15-20 minutes), you will have about 10 minutes to review the documents and the instructions before role playing begins. The phone will ring, or someone will stop in... and good luck from there.

Interview Questions

• * Tell me a about yourself.
      * What do you know about this position?
      * Why are you interested in this position?
      * Describe what you think a typical day would be like for someone in this position.
      * Role Playing   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Lakeland, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

I've been interviewing for about a month after submitting my original application. Role-Playing was pretty stressful, but I don't think they expect you to be perfect at it. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. I stated below that I did not get a job offer. I am currently waiting until next week to find out if I'm offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a specific interaction with an upset customer and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Houston, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

After applying online I was contacted by email within a couple days. I was given an online test. It was a short test but it was timed. You were not expected to complete all the questions but my advice is to answer as many as you can, as quick as you can. Very simple test. After the test, I was informed by email that I passed. This was the same day. I was sent another email saying I had a phone interview scheduled. The interview was about my work experience and to get to know more about me. After that I was scheduled for a second phone interview. This interview was concerning my leadership experience. Just be very detail oriented about your work experience and you will do fine. A few hours later I received a phone call saying they wanted to move further with me and scheduled me for a role playing interview. This is where things went awry. The whole role-playing process was very challenging and the odds are stacked against you. They place you in a room that is a make believe office. You are given 35 minutes to read a stack of papers to read that explains your role in a fake company. It is a lot of information to take in. You are given specific instructions that you must follow. The desk table was very small and there was not enough room to be organized. I couldn't stack the papers in one stack because I needed several of the sheets to access through out the role play. You were expected to multi task, be organized, follow the directions given, and provide good customer service. You have to answer phone calls, handle walk ins, and pretend you are going into the field. Two guys came and pretended to be customers. Their first visit was normal. The second is when they were very rude. They will judge your reactions. I didn't react to their negativity and that possibly hurt me. I felt I did poor in the role play but I did my best considering the circumstances. Its difficult to do a job that you only had 30 minutes to prepare for. I think the role play should be done after you are hired. It should be used for training not for hiring. A panel interview would be so much better at seeing a candidates potential. The next day after the role play I received an email saying I was not accepted for the position. I expected to be rejected because the guy I met during the role play was very short and direct. He did give me a chance to give my feedback. I knew I he felt I didn't do well although he didn't say it. They send the email at the end of the business day so there is less chance of you calling them to get feedback. I'm grateful I didnt get selected because the interview process and the job wasn't worth the pay that was offered. I feel like it was a waste of time and I will not be applying in 6 months as the email suggested. If you have a high tolerance for unnecessary processes, then this will be a great fit for you. I don't have the patience level for their hiring process. It is prolonged and too drawn out. Good luck to anyone that will go through this process in the future.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question
    • What makes you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question
    • Describe a situation where you could not give a customer what they asked for and how did you handle the situation.   Answer Question
    • What will your prior manager say about your attendance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schenectady, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at GEICO (Schenectady, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

apply online got a call for a phone interview then called to office for another face to face interview then role play got a call from manager for another inerview thought i had the job next day recuiter call said i didnt get the postion bottom line i wish i never wasted my time for this company they put u though hell just to let you down at the end

Auto Damage Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at GEICO in October 2014.

Interview

After applying, I received an email asking to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview lasted less than ten minutes. During the interview they ran through some questions such as, "are you interested in this kind of job", "are you willing to dedicate time in our training process", "awareness of safety precautions", and etc. I was actually not interested in this job so I don't think I sounded too confident in this position. If you are wanting this position, please review the job description! They said traveling expenses to train out of state is paid through Geico!