GEICO Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GEICO Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 21, 2017

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GEICO (Columbia, SC).

Interview

I took an online exam, about 2 hours that was all Excel based questions. This was rather difficult and was very in-depth. After this, I had a phone interview which means that I passed the exam which was more or less surprising because the Excel test was very difficult. The woman I spoke with was very nice and wanted to learn more about the practical experience I had.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

After completing an online logic test, had a one on one in person interview on my college campus, which consisted of fairly standard behavioral questions. About a week later, was invited to a final round interview at the main office in Maryland, but didn't end up interviewing for about a month due to conflicting schedules. The final round interview was a series of one on ones, with a mix of behavioral and problem solving questions regarding the insurance industry. Also was required to take a "technical" Excel test that was a fairly simple exercise evaluating some data, and then discussed the exercise with one of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What are some ways you think we could keep our prices lower than our competitors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Washington, DC) in June 2015.

Interview

Online questionnaire then in person interview eventually eventually. The process was very well structured and straightforward and overall the experience was delightful. Overall I'd say it was relatively easy and simple process and actually kind of enjoyable.

Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

I believe I found the post on LinkedIn and then filled out an online survey on the GEICO website. A recruiter responded via email and asked me to take a logic test. I then had two phone interviews, the first with my supervisor and then with my manager. Next they flew me to DC for a day-long in-person interview, an excel test, and lunch with the team.

Interview Questions

• Why GEICO; Strengths and Weaknesses; Resume-specific questions; Look at a graph and explain it; Evaluate a survey   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

1st Questionnaire/Assessment telling about yourself and job preferences.
    2nd Timed Logic and Math
    3rd Phone Interview
    4th Go in interview

Interview Questions

• Situational based question. Beware of the logic part as it is timed.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GEICO.

Interview

First I should say, that not only I went through the interview process when I was hired, but later, I when to multiple interviews as internal candidate to various GEICO teams, and I also participated in several interviews when we were hiring people for my current team. I can say that the process is not the same all the time, it depends on a position and on a hiring team. So I will describe you not my particular experience, but what you can expect in general. It will be relevant for almost any analytical position in the headquarters office.

First you submit an application on the website. Advice: if you are not a citizen, but you have a work permit, even if it is not permanent, check that it is permanent. GEICO will never help you with H1 visa, but if you have your green card, or J2 visa, or whatever which allows you to work in the U.S. then you can be employed and it will never be a problem. But if you don't check that box, then your application will not be considered. Another advice, if you see several interesting positions apply to all of them. It's often hard to figure out what will fit you most. If you have analytical mindset and some math and technical skills, you can be considered for any analytical position.
    Then HRs screen your application, if they are interested they will send you a letter. Usually they will ask you to send them your resume, transcripts, cover letter, and fill out an analytical questionnaire. The latter usually asks about projects you did in the past, your goals for the future and so on, the questions which are often asked by phone in other companies. It's very convenient, as you can sit and think and write it carefully, much easier than a phone interview. And it prepares you for the next step.
    The order of the next step will depend on a team, some teams do a phone interview first, and some teams do an online assessment first. Let's start with the online assessment. It is again depends on a team but usually it as logical test and a math test. Math test is very simple, logical is more challenging because of the time restriction. They will send you a link to the test. Notice the name of the company on the link, do your research and find their website, there you can find those tests for practice. It's a time worth investment, because with bad results you have almost no chance to be hired and I so some candidates about whom we were very positive, who failed the test.
    You should expect to talk to 1-2 people on the phone interview. Very likely you will be given some analytical question to answer. Advice: There is no right or wrong answer, they want to see your thinking process. Don't stuck on one though, try to come up with different ideas and thoughts about the question. Don’t stress too much, people at GEICO are very laid back and friendly. From time to time they would ask for a second interview, it usually means that they are not sure if you're a right person. Make your notes during the first phone interview, think about it deeply later, and be prepare to sell yourself better if there is a second interview.
    If the previous steps went well, then you'll be invited for a personal interview. (In some rear cases people were hired without ever meeting the team or even the manager personally, but it unusual). Usually you would have one or two interviews with several people (managers, team members, directors), but it depends. During the interviews you will likely be asked multiple analytical questions, they may show you charts and ask for your ideas about them. Again, they want to see your thinking process first of all, so don't be shy. Also on some teams you'll be given an analytical assignment, which you complete using Excel and Word. Those are not complicated usually, but there is time limit, and it may be hard to concentrate, so just don't stress too much and read everything carefully to not make stupid mistakes in calculations for instance. Then, usually you will go for a lunch with 1 or 2 team members but not managers. That's a good time to ask more about the work schedule, the office, life-work balance and so on. Also they will probably give you their business cards so you'll be able to write a thank you letter at this point.

Then if they decide that you are good fit for them, the HR will contact you and give further instructions. If you have any concerns, if you need to postpone you begin date and so on, my advice - write directly to the hiring manager. The communication between HR and managers is not good at GEICO, so talking to you future supervisor instead of HR is a good idea.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation of the salary.
    Advice: In terms of profit sharing it's good to be hired in December-January, so don't wait till January or February. to apply. If you can, apply in October-December. The entire process will take at least a month. In my case it took about 2.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in July 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by someone in HR, who guided me through the process and was my primary contact. The first step was a assessment test to gauge my technical skills as necessary for the position. This was followed by a phone interview with the head of the department I was applying for. This was followed by an on-site interview that I was flown out for. This on-site interview was all-expenses-paid, including meals, transportation and hotel (some parts were paid by me with promise of full reimbursement). While on-site, I was given another analytic assessment and writing test, which was followed by three interviews and lunch with two employees from the team I was being considered for.

The only downside was the fact that the company took nearly two months to reimburse my expenses.

Interview Questions

• You say you've presented to management, but what does that mean?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GEICO (Bethesda, MD) in November 2011.

Interview

I applied online and contacted by the HR. A phone interview was scheduled the next day. First I was asked to go over my esume. Then they give me two cases to. It went very well. Several days later, HR called me and scheduled another phone interview. The manager interviewed me this time. I was given a chart to analyze during the interview. I didn't answer the question very well and got rejected email after several days.

Anonymous Employee in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in November 2011.

Interview

Applied through my campus's job board. There were a total of 3 rounds of interviews with an Excel assessment (which I was not informed about upfront). First two rounds were over the phone and the third I was invited for an in-person interview with the Director and all the managers. They were a great group of people- professional but laid-back, and a shared sense of humor.

After the final interview, I hadn't heard back in weeks and decided to follow up. This is when I was notified of the Excel assessment. I had two days to complete it. It is meant to assess your analytical skills, including using commonly used tools such as PivotTables and graphically displaying your data, and written communication of your results.

Interview Questions

• Very typical situational/behavioral questions. One question was how I would like to be managed.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. They were not very flexible with extending my deadline either.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GEICO.

Interview

Submit the application online, got calls from HR about a week later.

Then having phone interview the very next day, and quantitative test online.

Interview was mainly about my education and working experience.

Not really hard, the employer were very nice overall.

The position was open for spring, but I have school until summer.

Interview Questions

• Almost all of the questions was expected about what my resume listed.   Answer Question