GEICO Customer Service Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 14, 2018

3.3

345 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2017.

Interview

Application followed by online exam, then a phone interview/screen lasting about 15 minutes. I was invited to the call center for additional testing and an interview. That visit lasted about 4 hours. I was told I was moving forward with the hiring process and was invited back the following week to shadow a current employee and interview with managers. The 2nd visit was supposed to be less than 2 hours but took almost 3 hours. All total, I spent 7 hours on-site for this position.

Interview Questions

• 3 words to describe customer service. What other positions are you applying for? What other employers are you interested in?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Anonymous Employee in Amherst, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Amherst, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

I applied online and they reached out to me by the next day offering to do a phone interview. The phone interview was simple, a few questions to see if you fit the mold. I then moved on to the computer testing which was fairly simple about an hour long but simple, although the 4 other interviewees did not pass the testing. After the testing they then scheduled me for my actual interview which they warned could be about 4-5 hours long. I went in the next day and had basically like a prescreening interview, asking me basic questions about where I worked and such. They then moved me on to the next process which was to do role playing. For this activity you're put into an office with a phone and then background information about a fake insurance company and you're given 20 minutes to study that and then after the 20 minutes was up, you received 3 phone calls and they had to judge your answers and how well you handled those situations. After that I was then moved to the final 2 parts, which was shadowing an actual phone call with a rep and then moving onto the last part of the interview where they decided if they want to hire you or not. The shadowing process was pretty cool to see, to actually be on the floor. And then finally I was pulled in to do the last interview which were harder questions that you had to think about and answer more carefully.

Interview Questions

• "theres so many other companies like us, so why Geico?"
      "do you see yourself here in 5 years?
      "if anywhere what other places have you applied to?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Woodbury, NY) in December 2017.

Interview

Picture the most generic interview questions you've been asked your whole life, then picture someone reading them in an annoyed tone. I could just picture the person who called me holding the list of questions to ask in front of there face. They might as well had an automated service call me. Very Unprofessional

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Indianapolis, IN) in December 2017.

Interview

Hi Everyone. The Interview Process if very segmented because GEICO is a huge company. First, you apply online. A representative will call you for a pre-screen & phone interview. They'll go over your current and past work history, go into detail about the job description, salary, training class dates, and schedule. IT’S A BIT MISLEADING BECAUSE THEY ACT LIKE YOU ALREADY GOT THE JOB....but....SURPRISE!! Before you can go any further in the hiring process GEICO wants to make sure you are able to *LISTEN, *FOLLOW DIRECTIONS, *ARE FRIENDLY/POLITE, *HAVE ADEQUATE COMPUTER SKILLS, *SPEAK WITH GOOD GRAMMAR, *AND CAN TYPE 20 WPM. You'll be scheduled to take a multi-tasking test and typing test. These tests are roughly (40) minutes long. BE PREPARED TO SPEND THE ENTIRE DAY GOING THROUGH A SERIES OF INTERVIEWS IF YOU PASS THE MULTI-TASKING & TYPING TEST. On the Multi-Tasking Test, they test (4) people all at the same time. You'll be seated in front of a computer with headphones. The test moderator will give you verbal instructions about the test. If you have questions ask her before she leaves the room. You'll log into the computer & you'll be given more detailed instructions about the test. You'll even get a 5-7 minute practice session. Use it wisely; be sure you familiarize yourself with the screens during the practice session. ___________________HERE'S INFORMATION ABOUT THE TEST: It's a Computer Simulation Test. You'll wear headphones and you'll listen to FAKE customers from a FAKE medical company calling in or you'll read their emails (from the QUEUE....the QUEUE is on the bottom left of your test screen). When a call or email enters the queue you will open it up by clicking on it with your mouse. There are just three types of customer's inquiries: SERVICE inquiry, SALES inquiry, or CLAIMS inquiry. Be sure to select the correct tab for the type of customer inquiry. You have (1) minute to accurately enter the Customers Data and Submit the inquiry: NAME, POLICY NUMBER, PHONE NUMBER, REASON WHY THEIR CALLING, CREDIT CARD NUMBER, HOW LONG THEY'VE BEEN A CUSTOMER, CURRENT INSURANCE COMPANY, BILLING DATE, (etc.,) in the computer as you're clicking and going through different screens. Try to enter the information accurately....sometimes the customer may speak slow or fast and if you're unable to complete an inquiry SUBMIT IT ANYWAY before the minute timer expires. Your score goes down if you don't submit!! ____________Next, you’ll have a typing test. They measure more on accuracy. 20 WPM. If you pass, the next step is BEHAVIORAL (tell me a time when this happened and what did you do....). Next step is ROLE PLAY. You'll take (3) mock calls with a hiring specialist. They give you a FAKE company manual and a 20 minute timer with a yellow high-lighter. You have 20 minutes to read and learn about your company, their motto, what they specialize in, their policies and procedures, and what you can upsell to the customer.....Be sure to highlight policies and procedures. After 20 minutes, the hiring specialist calls you on the phone. *HAVE A GREETING, *BE POLITE, *EMPATHIZE, *VERIFY CUSTOMER NUMBER, *UPSALE/UPCHARGE, *THANK THE CUSTOMER. Next, you'll shadow a rep on the floor for 45 minutes listening to real calls. And, finally, the next step is meeting and interviewing with the hiring manager. They want to see if you're friendly, approachable, polite, compassionate, as they don't want rude, mean people answering their phones. If the hiring manager likes you....GEICO will make you an offer. Good Luck!! Go with confidence. Don't be scared. It's easy and simple. Get a good night's rest. Listen and follow directions.

Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA).

Interview

It is a multiple step interview process. I can honestly say it is the longest interview process I have ever experienced. Be prepared for testing and face to face interviewing. Very thorough, so at least you know not just anyone is getting in.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled a situation where a customer was unhappy with your service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GEICO (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Email to schedule test, testing, meet with recruiter, they told me I would hear something in next few days, but I received a email 2 days later saying I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Woodbury, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

The process took about two weeks. I took an online assessment and then continued to the phone interview. It was about 20 minutes long and asked if i took any civil service exams, which i had. They asked me if "i got a call from state troopers in a few years, would i take it?" It threw me off, which is where it might have gone wrong. However, the conversation had ended off with them saying my call would go to the hiring manager. Although 5 days later i got an email saying that they had passed on me.

Interview Questions

• "if you got a call from state troopers in a few years, would you take it?"   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GEICO in November 2017.

Interview

Typing and listening test first day then it is an interview with HR, role play with them basically give you a sheet and see how you respond to different scenarios. After passing that, next day is shadowing someone, interview with department manager and then they schedule you for a drug test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Tucson, AZ) in November 2017.

Interview

very friendly. waited in a room with other applicants. Then proceeded to take a typing test on a pc. Afterwards, waited to have a one on one interview which was pleasent and quick

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Indianapolis, IN) in October 2017.

Interview

For me, it took about 3 weeks due to working the hiring process around my work schedule. I scheduled interviews for GEICO on my days off which are Thursdays and Fridays (no testing and interviews on Fridays). I applied on a Thursday night. After receiving an acknowledgment email for GEICO. GEICO sent an email to complete personality assessment and I completed assesment. I applied to 4 positions: Sales, ERS, Customer Service, Auto Damage Adjuster. The next morning, I received an email inviting me to schedule phone interview for Customer Service position. I was only given the option to schedule for that same day. I scheduled my interview that Friday afternoon. Recruiter called about 5 minutes early. Interview lasted about 10 to 15 minutes. Recruiter stated the training schedule, hours during transition, discussed the job role and pay . Main question was if asked how many times would your most recent employer state that you had unplanned absences in the last 6 months. I stated 1-2 times due to illness. Attendance, dependability and stable work history are important to GEICO. Before the end of call, recruiter said she would like to progress me to the next hiring step which was coming onsite for testing. Upon successfully completing testing, you may be asked to stay and complete additional steps of the selection process which may take up to a few hours. She asked what time worked best for me and schedule me for that time. Shortly after my phone interview, I received an email with my testing time and GEICO address. My onsite testing was set for the following Thursday at 1 PM. About 5 of us did the testing. Testing consisted of mulitasking and typing. The company is a fake medical insurance company. You are given a few minutes to read instructions and learn the system. When an inquiry enters your queue you have 1 minutes to start data entry and submit each inquiry. Inquiries are claims, service and sales. You have to chose the correct tab based on inquiry type. You listen to a voice recording or read an email to retrieve the data needed submit and complete customer’s inquiry. All of us passed the test. Typing test is based on accuracy and 25 WPM is required. After successfully completing the test we were told to wait in the lobby for the next step. I was the first person to be called back. I waited about 5 minutes. I had behavioral based interview (tell me a time when) with HR Hiring Specialist. After the interview, she stated she would like to continue to the next step which was role play. I was given a case study (Warranty Protection company) and timer and I had 20 minutes to study before another HR Hiring specialist would call me. HR called 3 times each time pretending to be a different customer. It’s important to hilight and know the company’s policy and procedures. Have a greeting, be polite, empathize, verify phone number and upsell upgrade if customer doesn’t have it, thank customer for being a valued customer. Case study had 5 or 6 customers. After 1st call, I was given feedback. I forgot to verify phone number. After the 3rd mock call, HR specialist on the phone told me I had successfully passed role play. I would continue on to the next steps: Shadowing customer service rep and interview with hiring manager. My 1st onsite interview ended there due to having another scheduled interview that same day. I told my HR during my interview that I had an appointment and needed to end by a certain time. Before I left GEICO, I was scheduled for my next interview a week later. I came back the next week to finish my shadow and hiring manager interview. I shadowed a customer service rep for about 45 minutes. I was given a sheet to fill out for one of the calls. Next the manager calls back and ask a few questions. What makes excellent service? After a few minutes, hiring manager stated she was going to hiring me. Ask me a few more questions and I asked questions. After interview, I was congratulated by a few HR employees and supervisors and asked to wait in the lobby. While waiting, I received an email with a job offer. A few minutes, I was called back to accept offer and fills out my background, employment, education, and credit check. GEICO does a hair follicle drug test so they cut some of your hair also. After that offer specialist took me it would take about 10 days for background check to come back. I received an email 7 days later stating I had passed background check. Offer specialist called the following Monday to verify that I passed criminal, employment, education, and credit check and drug test. She reminded me about the 1st two days being orientation and they have a different time schedule from our training schedule and bring two forms of Identification with me for orientation.

Interview Questions

• What traits contribute to excellent customer service?   1 Answer