GEICO GEICO Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GEICO GEICO Sales Representative Interview Questions

Interviews at GEICO

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Lakeland, FL) in March 2011.

Interview

Applied online for a sales position with GEICO; was contacted 2 days later to come in for testing. I was one of about a dozen applicants that showed up at 7:30am...we were all taken to a computer room where we completed several tests. They included timed typing tests, and also two mock "shifts" where we listened to incoming calls and opened incoming emails from insurance customers (and had to enter information from the calls/emails on the screen). After testing, which took about 45 minutes, we were brought back to the waiting room. Where we waited...and waited...and waited. A couple of people were notified that they didn't pass the testing portion and were dismissed. I wish I'd been one of them! For the rest of us, we waited for THREE HOURS in a room with no reading material, television, nothing. Just complete silence. Finally we started getting called back, and I was interviewed 1 on 1 - typical interview questions, and it took about 30 minutes. Went back to the waiting room, and was called back by a different person for the WEIRDEST part - I had to sit in a room by myself and was given a packet of information about a fake car wash company...and was told that I had 15 minutes to review the material, then I would receive 3 phone calls from "customers" (actually the GEICO interviewer) and I had to try and sell them these fake car washes. During the first call, I could tell that I was on speaker phone, and there were several people listening to my attempts to sell car washes to this fake "customer". After each call, the GEICO rep called me back and asked me to tell them "W\what I thought" about "how I did" and proceeded to critique me via speakerphone. Just bizarre...and ridiculous. I have been in customer service management for over 12 years and would have never subjected a potential associate to this in an interview...it's just stupid. I ended up getting another interview the next day with a different company, and was hired. Was called back by GEICO, but told them I wasn't interested anymore. The whole interviewing process left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions - like "describe a difficult customer service situation and how you handled it."   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Woodbury, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted via email the next day. Called in for a skills/typing test which measured aptitude for multitasking and typing speed. After this test, I was asked to set up a phone interview which consisted of my background, work and education. Questions pertained to why I wanted to work for Geico with the degree I had, responsibilities at previous jobs, etc. Was called back for a 1 on 1 interview with a member of HR where I answered some personality questions and then was given 3 roleplays to do (you pretend to be a representative from a ficticious company to sell HR a product) and then when this was done I was asked to return the next day for a shadowing session with an actual sales rep. for over an hour. Finally, I was interviewed by the sales manager and offered the position. Plan to spend many hours in this interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose Geico considering the degree you have?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Pay is not negotiable, and since there are so many candidates it is wise to accept the salary offered.

GEICO Sales Representative Interview

Interview

After brief phone interview, was invited to office for second interview. A group of about 10 at my time slot took the computer test which measured ability to multitask and WPM. If you passed the computer test you met with a hiring person who asked you questions. The hiring person didn't seem very interested in your answers and just typed them up into their computer. Not much interaction or follow up questions. I was told I would hear back after the hiring managers took a look at everyone's interview answers. Emailed about a week later with a rejection.

Interview Questions

• Questions involving previous sales experience and dealing with clients.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Indianapolis, IN) in April 2013.

Interview

You will do phone interview first and then come in for face to face interview. At your first interview you will take skills test, if you have worked in call center and follow instructions it is easy. If you pass skills test you will then interview. If you pass interview you will roll play to see if you can sell, if you can sell you will move on. **NOTE** If they need to fill seats you will breeze through, I had people in my training class that wanted customer service but were talked into Sales (shady!). After interview and roll playing if you are a body or can sell they will have you interview with center manager, he will offer you job on the spot. If no job offer you loose return to GO!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary is take it or leave it, there are thousands of people unemployed waiting behind you that will accept bad hours and retail pay!!

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Indianapolis, IN) in June 2013.

Interview

Interview takes place all in one day, If you do not get an offer before you leave then you did not get the job. The day consists of a personality test, computer skills test, 1st oral interview,2nd oral interview, phone sales role play,and final interview with HR manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation with salary. It is a take it or leave it offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Short and not very sweet--the HR interviewer told me that she didn't think I would "fit in" @ GEICO--I had owned my own successful business for over 10 years--college grad, resume' showing success and leadership at another large corporation....maybe my age???...I am over 40...

Interview Questions

• How do you prove age discrimination?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA) in July 2011.

Interview

After posting resume on career builder, was contacted by recruiter next day and did a 15 minute phone interview right on the spot. Phone interview consisted mostly of explaining what was on my resume and on why I would a good fit for sales at Geico. Next day received call to schedule next interview with HR rep at Geico's Headquarters. Once there, impersonal and systematic, was put in room with 12 other candidates applying for positions, from there we performed IQ tests and 1:1interviews and after 4 hours, I performed a role play as a sales agent, next day received email of "no offer".

Interview Questions

• Name a time in your past job experiences where a customer was very disgruntled and what did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbury, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GEICO (Woodbury, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

From the beginning I had found the job posting on a job search kind of website. I figured since I already was insured by them and thought the enviroment was pretty relaxed I'd appy for a position. My background in sales encouraged me to go for the sales rep position. I recieved an email stating that I would need to schedule a phone interview, which I did right away. To begin, the lady who I had spoken with told me that my interview would be April 6th. I check my email later that day and it shows I'm am scheduled for April 9th. This confused me a bit but I made sure I was available both days rather than bothering them and starting on a questionable foot. Also included in the email was a link to a personality test which I also completed right away. It was very simple, one of those how do you feel on this topic (very strongly, strongly, neutral, etc...) I finally did recieve my phone interview on the 9th about 17 minutes past the scheduled time. Again a very generic interview.. Explain your previous employement including what you had to do in each position, why did you leave and so on. Once completed the interviewer explained my hours, pay, training date, etc.. I was then asked to come in for a 1:1 and a skills test. I arrived there fairly early and was directed to a recruiters desk after signing in with security. The recruiter gave me a copy of my application and some additional paperwork to fill out. She had also given me a pamphlet in which I was to read and answer some questions on the back. After completing all the paperwork I went in to do my computer testing. That consisted of a typing test and fake pre recorded phone calls/emails where you would have to listen/read and enter information into the system. Once I completed that I was asked to sit back down and wait to be called. About 30 minutes later I was again called to the desk where I was congratulated and told I passed. I was given a sheet of paper breifly describing the position and told to take a seat again. After an hour and half of waiting and 2 other employees asking me what I was waiting so long for, a man finally came out and took me in for my 1:1. The 1:1 was about another hour and a half which had numerous questions about my feelings towards the job, my previous experience that qualified me for the job, and specific examples where I had done certain things (given outstanding customer service). After that I was told to sit and wait yet another time. At that point I thought this job was a sure thing. About 25 mins later my interviewer had come back out and called me over. He told that he really enjoyed meeting with me, was very impressed with some of my answers as well as 9 years of sales experience, and that there were only a few more steps in the interviewing process. I was told I was free to go after that and that another sales manager would be contacting me to proceed forward with the hiring process. Today I check my email and see that I was not chosen for the position. I am outraged with this company and feel like canceling my policy with them. I have never once been so annoyed by an interview in my like. Not only did it cost me 3 days at my current job but I almost feel as if I was lied to and lead on. If a degree in business and 9 years experience as well as passing all of their bs tests isn't good enought then what is?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Virginia Beach, VA) in January 2012.

Interview

I received an email inviting me for a phone interview after about 4 days- I scheduled the interview a few days in advance, I researched the company, read phone interview tips and prepared my responses- probably spending around 6-10 hours preparing for the phone interview, including reading every single GEICO interview on this site.
       The female representative called me about 5-10 minutes after the scheduled interview time and proceeded to ask me about 11 questions before abruptly ending the interview after asking me about breaks in my work history (I have none) and saying she asked me all the questions that she needed to. She told me that she would pass me information on to the hiring manager and they would get back to me within 5 days- at which point I knew I wouldn't be proceeding on to the next part of the interview process.
        I have an extremely negative view of GEICO and their hiring process. I'm a college graduate with 10 years in customer service experience, 2 years of management experience, and 6 years of sales- I feel I am qualified to at the very least get an in person interview. I will include every single question that she asked me just in case it might be of help to someone- she did not even ask me about my applicable skills at my previous jobs or why I was interested in the position, nor did she give me a chance to ask her any questions. I might have sounded a little defensive over some of her questions and perhaps didn't sound "chipper" enough although I tried my best. Again my view of the company is incredibly negative, the benefits are nice, but if they dont care enough about their candidates to give them an honest chance I do not see the point of working for or doing business with them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to move to Virginia Beach- are you sure you'll be able to find housing?   1 Answer
    • I see you have some breaks in your work history... ect.   1 Answer
    • How many times have you been late or absent to work- you understand that good attendance is mandatory and a part of the job? Is your schedule flexible and are you willing to work holidays?   1 Answer
    • You understand that this position will be at 14.85 an hour?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Getzville, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Getzville, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

Have an initial phone interview going over the basics of the job and resume details. What interests you about sales. Go to office and take a typing test and listening test, then one on one interview, then a phone skills test where you have 3 opportunities to sell something to the customer. Mine was a car washing service. I was then told I would be informed if the hiring process would continue.