GEICO Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GEICO Interview Questions

Updated Nov 22, 2017
1,997 Interview Reviews

3.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO in October 2017.

Interview

Be Prepared to be there all day. My interview was at 1015am and i didnt leave until almost 5pm. When you first get there your greeted by security and you sign in then they call you and a couple of other ppl into a room with computers. They give you head sets and tell you to start the test. The test is two different things. The first part is they want to see if you can learn a system for a fake company quickly READ THE INSTRUSTIONS! thats what helped me. I know someone who failed it twice so read it then play along with it before times runs out before the actual test starts. When that starts they dont expect you to do all of them beacuse its impossible just do as much and as fast as you can. Then the second part of the test is a typing test. Most ppl only finish about 1 to 2 sentences so dont freak out. Then when your done a lady comes in the room if she calls your name you didnt pass. The next part of the interview is the acutual interview they ask you alot of questions starting with your previous jobs then your personality etc. You do this for like 30 to 45 mins. Then next part is role playing which was the toughest part. They sit you in a room by your self with a phone highlighters pen paper and a packet that has a fake company info. They give you 20 minutes to study it. They want to see how you sound on the phone and if you can learn fast. Then someone calls the phone and you have to pick it up and answer it like the company wants. The customer calls and you have to answer whatever questions they ask. If you pass this one you go on to sitting side by side with an actual agent for 1 hr and listen. Make sure you pay attention the next part they ask you questions about it. After that they sit you with a hiring manager for like 30 - 45 minutes and she ask you almost the same questions as the person before. If you get the job they will tell you right after they speak with their boss that same moment after speaking with you. If you get the job then its the drug test.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work at Geico   Answer Question
    • How man UNSCHEDLED work days in a year did you have at your previous job   1 Answer

Management Development Program Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GEICO.

Interview

I applied online in July for an MDP - Auto Damage opening. At the beginning of August I was scheduled for a video interview. You can either do this with a webcam or via an app on your phone. You have 30 seconds to a minute to come up with answers to each question, and then 1-2 minutes per question to record yourself answering them. You only get one shot at recording. At the beginning of September I was sent links to do an online assessment (Caliper - not difficult). After that I had a phone interview with a corporate recruiter. There were the usual HR questions and a few STAR-style questions as well but nothing unpredictable. The recruiter passed my information along to a regional manager, who contacted me to do an observation at a local Geico Xpress. This involved sitting with an adjuster, watching them work, and asking questions for about an hour or so. All of the employees I observed were fairly new to the job with less than a year of experience, and the one I sat with longest was completely unprofessional - he used foul language, made fun of customers after they left, and told me it was an okay company to start with but that it was really only good for getting your foot in the door in insurance and most people would go elsewhere after a year or two.

They were unable to schedule me the same day for the in-person assessment and I had to come back the following week for it. This was a very long role play. You had 30 minutes to read through a 20+ page packet of information (which is simultaneously being read to you by an audio tape), and then another 30 minutes of actually working through a small snapshot of an adjuster's day. At the start of the role play, you'll get a list of scenarios/activities that are coming up in your work day. As far as I could tell, aside from re-reading passages in the instructions to familiarize yourself with the expectations, there is no real way to prepare for each one in advance. My biggest advice is to highlight all of the small details on the packet and take your time working through the details of each scenario you're confronted with. I realized in the course of the assessment that I had messed up a few small details at the very beginning of the role play, but unlike the real world where you can correct mistakes if you notice them, that isn't the case here. Like my observation the previous week, the employees who were participating in the role play also left a lot to be desired. They clearly didn't want to be doing the assessment and were super low energy. It made it hard to gauge if I was doing well or not.

I received a job offer from a competitor the same day I completed the assessment, and I accepted. I have not yet heard back about the outcome from this interview process, but regardless of how it goes, I would not be accepting an offer if I received one due to the interactions I had with employees.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA).

Interview

It was very drawn out and extremely detailed which I can understand. First I did a phone interview, assessment, in person interview, another assessment, observed an employee, and a final interview. I was there for roughly 5 hours and the last interview went not so good. The manager kept asking me why I was willing to take a pay cut and how over qualified I was for the job and how he could to be sure I was not going to be offered a better job somewhere else.

Management Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO in October 2017.

Interview

I reached out to a hiring manager on LinkedIn who sent my information to a college recruiter to contact me about my application. I had a short initial interview by phone followed by a long 1.5 hour interview by phone followed by simple testing and typing tests on a computer at GEICO... Then a personality assessment with spatial IQ questions...which I think are designed to test how you devote your time to complex questions...so don't spend too much time on the questions but do try to maximize efficiency and accuracy... and then a role play .... The role play is simple as long as you prioritize tasks and get as much done as possible.... I don't want to say too much in case they read this and then change the content.... Just do the best you can.... And then it was a panel interview where you have to give a presentation on what leadership means to you.... I didn't pass the panel interview .... I wasn't given a reason why but I know it is because I am older and my job-hopping is not as understandable as it would be if I were a recent grad....which is disappointing. If I had gotten more sleep the night before and answered their concerns about that one area of my resume better than I might have been offered a position.... Another thing they look at is if you apply to other jobs outside of insurance.... Tell them you are applying only to insurance companies and describe why it is attractive to you to work at GEICO and in the insurance business.... Hard to answer but they don't expect you to have had dreams of working at an insurance company since you were five... That would be silly and they know it. Even though other employees got jobs at GEICO because the pay and benefits were attractive... You still have to give them other reasons...

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of questions about leadership and work experience and management that is impossible for a recent graduate to answer 99% of the time... I had experience and I was able to give good answers on the spot and I still wasn't hired.   1 Answer

Medical Claims Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Marlton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Marlton, NJ) in October 2017.

Interview

Like everyone else I applied online. Received an email the next day for a phone interview a week later. Passed the phone interview and was invited to take an assessment and typing test plus a role play. This was scheduled 3 weeks later. I passed the assessment and typing test. Waited 25 minutes to take interview with two managers of different departments. Asked the normal interview questions and did very well. Waited 15 more minutes to take the role play test. I was given 25 minutes to read over a pamphlet of a mock company. I was supposed to be a Coordinator for said company. The whole thing is setup to see how you work under pressure. I felt I did very well considering I have over 20 yrs claim processing experience which I'm used to handling more stress than in Geico role play. The test lasted about 1 1/2 hours. I was told that I would be contacted the next day. If considered I would be called in to meet with the manager and shadow with a medical claims representative to get a feel of what the position entails. Needless to say I was not contacted the next day. From doing prior research and the reviews on Glassdoor.com I knew immediately that I did not get the position. Today I received an email stating that I was not considered. It seemed like this would've been an excellent opportunity to work with Geico. I am also a policy holder with them for many years and have always been a fan of their customer service. I've talked several relatives and friends into switching to Geico. I don't understand their hiring practices but, I can imagine they have looked over some very talented candidates based on their interview techniques. To be honest as a professional I wasn't impressed with the HR representative or the managers who interviewed me. They all seemed to act mechanical and unenterested. Not friendly or professional. They read from a script on paper and just went with the flow. Unbothered to say the least.Perhaps going forward Geico should consider looking into their interview process and managers make changes and do some immediate restructuring. They have way too many bad reviews on job boards from current employees, former employees and perspective candidates. I'm happy to say that I received an offer with another insurance company that is so much better.

Claims Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GEICO (Lakeland, FL) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied using the Geico mobile application (basically that I submitted my application from my phone verses a computer) on Oct 4th 2017, I also did the job assessment at this time. A few hours later received and email asking me to please schedule the phone interview. I scheduled it for the following day Oct 5th 2017. I received the call 15 minutes earlier than scheduled (they mention this in the email). The lady basically asked questions about my schedule and if there would be any conflict. Asked why I would be a good fit and why I was interested in the position. At the end of the call invited me to move forward for testing. Testing was scheduled for Oct 10th 2017.

Arrived for testing on time and was processed in. They first start with a typing/simulated test. If you don't pass this step, you don't move forward. So once you pass that step you move on to the first interview & that roughly takes about 30 minutes. Once you pass that interview you move onto the role-play which is about 45 minutes. If you pass the role-play, you move onto shadowing someone that's actually working in the CSR position. You shadow them for about an hour to an hour and a half. Once you're done with the shadowing you move on to your final interview with a manager. The whole process is extremely long so make sure you don't have anything else scheduled that day. The reason the process is so long is because once you finish a step and move to the next they take you back-and-forth to the waiting room to wait for the next step. You will meet a different person at each step (you interact with 5 individuals) Along the way they do ask you if you want to step out for a break, or if you want to schedule the shadowing for the following day. But once you're already there I think it's best to just finish everything that day. If at any point they feel like you're not qualified for the position you won't move on to the next step. Also, they are doing this with upwards to 20-30 people simultaneously. This position has an EXTREMELY HIGH TURNOVER RATE & I see why. I went in feeling positive about the position & left feeling cheated out of 6 hours I'll never get back.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with an uncomfortable situation ?   Answer Question
    • Tell me why you would be a good fit for this position ?   Answer Question

The amount of work /multitasking they expect from you isn't worth the pay honestly.

Claims Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Deer Park, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an invitation for a phone interview. Took the caliper test. Phone interview was just confirming info and going over attendance and work schedule. Passed phone interview. Went in to geico the next day and did a typing test/ multi tasking test. After you pass that next is an interview with the hiring department, takes about 30 minutes. If you pass that the next step is role-play which is another 30 minutes. If you pass that the next step is sitting on the call center floor with an agent. The you meet with an actual hiring manager. If you get that far it’s safe to assume you got the job. Good luck and be calm

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you had a difficult customer and how did you diffuse the situation   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyler, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Tyler, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online, was asked to send transcripts, and then did an interview over the phone. Then I was asked to complete a personality assessment. The assessment included personality questions and some math questions.

Interview Questions

• What was a time that you had to take a leadership role?   Answer Question

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at GEICO in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online, completed two online assessments, one a personality assessment, and the other was a basic aptitude assessment involving reading comprehension and spacial thinking. Phone interview a couple days later with a recruiter basically asking me if I had any issues about the job itself, working conditions, salary, the training requirement and why I wanted the job, was a good fit for the company. That training requires you to be out of state for two months, no chance to come home except for like a week in between the two classes. Later that same day I had another phone interview, this with a hiring manager for my area. More in depth about my desire to join the company, my understanding of the job, job details, and some scenario questions. I thought it went well, was fully expecting to move to the next step only to get an email a week later saying, thanks but no thanks. Emailed the recruiter I spoke with for feedback as to why I wasn't chosen, no response. Thanks a lot.

Interview Questions

• You have 20 minutes before your next appointment at 2pm. It will take you 15 minutes to get there, you need to send a critical email by 2pm, and you need to return a phone call to a client regarding a complaint. How do you manage your time?   Answer Question
    • You write up a damage estimate that details the time it should take to repair the damage and the expected costs. The service provider (body shop) disagrees, saying it should take double the time, thus increasing the costs. What do you do?   Answer Question

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Macon, GA) in October 2017.

Interview

I started with the computer testing. This involved listening to phone calls and reading emails. The tabs will indicate whether it is service, claims, or sales. Based on the type of issue, you will enter the information. After the testing, you have your 1st interview. This interview is where they expect you to answer questions step by step on how you handled the situation. The interviewer wants you to act they were there with you. This process is about an hour. After this you go to the call simulation. Make sure you pay attention to the instructions from the interviewer. Remember to read the instructions on how to handle the calls. The main thing is to remain calm and remember what you have read. They want to make sure you are able to make the final decision and stick to it. After this they will determine to send you upstairs for shadowing and the final interview. For the shadowing, you need to pay attention to what the representative is doing, the system, and how they handle calls. This will be relevant in the final interview with the manager. In the final interview, the manager will ask questions about you and your work experience. The manager will determine at the end of the interview if they are going to offer the job or not. Some will say once you get to the shadowing you got the job. Howrver, you cannot rely on this information. Make sure you do well in the final interview. Be prepared to stay there 4-6 hours.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you dealt with a difficult customer and what was the result?   Answer Question