GEICO Product Management Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GEICO Product Management Analyst Interview Questions

3.3

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in April 2016.

Interview

1) Online Application and Questionnaire: Go through the online application, submitting resume, cover letter, etc. From there, you will be sent a questionnaire. Here are most of the questions: salary requirements, long-term career goals, top three factors you are considering when deciding between different companies, why you are interested in GEICO, what motivated you to apply for this position, tell a story about why you chose your major/field, how will your skills/experience match up to the job requirements, talk about a relevant analytical project. They also ask for your SAT/ACT scores, which is weird.

2) Analytical test in Excel: They give you 2 hours and it took me the whole time. You don't necessarily have to know anything about insurance, but you should know about growth rates and be able to do algebraic things given some insurance terms.

3) Phone Interview: Overall pretty easy, just make sure you know about their direct marketing strategy and Berkshire-Hathaway. First question: "What do you know about Geico?"

4) On-Site Interview: You will have 5 sections of your day. First is a benefits overview with HR. From there, the order depends on everyone's schedules, but will consist of an interview with an Associate Actuarial VP (toughest part), a review of your analytical test, two interviews with managers (1 step above analysts), and a comped lunch with two analysts. The first question I was asked was "What have you done to prepare for this interview?" Make sure you know about their direct marketing strategy and why that makes them competitive. Also make sure you know some of the benefits of being a subsidiary of Berkshire-Hathaway. I kept getting asked how they would measure certain things (i.e. using the conversion rate, growth rate, etc.). It's a lot of hypothetical questions about the various situations Geico is put in, for example, if they know State Farm is doing something, how can they react/what things should they look at. Make sure to have questions prepared for each person.

Interview Questions

• What have you done to prepare for this interview? What do you know about Geico? Berkshire-Hathaway? What are benefits of being owned by Berkshire Hathaway? If we know that State Farm is doing x, and our numbers change by y, what can we do?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Product Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GEICO.

Interview

first you apply on-line, then the test, after that they schedule you for phone interview. The guy that asked me questions was commenting how great my answers are and well done!
    I got an email later that I was not selected! He is a liar and I hate this pretence! so unprofessional!
    They don't know what they are looking for!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD).

Interview

I made it through the entire process and was not selected, but I can tell you exactly what the process is + questions you will be asked. Glassdoor was invaluable in preparing for this extremely long and unnecessarily strenuous interview process, so I am now paying it forward.

The steps of the interview process were:
    1) Apply online
    2) Questionnaire
    3) Analytical skills test typed up in Excel (NOT EXCEL OR INSURANCE RELATED)
    4) Phone screening/interview with a current product manager
    5) All day in person interview with approx. 5 different people, spanning something like 5 hours

You can be filtered out at any stage, and I'll try to keep it simple with explanations.

1) Apply online
    - I submitted my resume online on GEICO's web portal, after finding the job listing on Indeed. I assume you only have to pass a few keyword searches here in order to make it to the next round.

2) Questionnaire
    - If you passed the first stage, a recruiter emails you and asks for more information in a fillable PDF form. It's for the most part the same information that you provided online, but some notable questions here were: "Please provide your SAT scores (lol)", "Why are you interested in GEICO/this particular position," "How do you believe your degree and skills/experience match up to the requirements of this position," and "Could you tell me about an analytical project that you have worked on relevant to this position?" Prepare to be asked variations of these questions multiple times by every single person you talk to during the interview process.

3) Analytical skills test
    - Contrary to what some of these people are saying for PMA interviews, there is 0 testing of insurance terms or in depth excel knowledge. Looking at my completed PMA test, there are multiple questions about growth rates (study this and know how to find rates of growth + present value), one question about the select SQL statement (basically that you know it exists), one about weighted distribution of values (aka don't merely take the average, remember to assign a weight to each territory), and a variety of basic algebraic manipulation. I literally knew nothing about insurance terms going into this and still managed to ace this test because I'm decent at math.

4) Phone screening
    - Covers a lot of the same territory as the questionnaire. MAKE SURE to research GEICO as a company prior to this portion of the process, as the first question will be "what do you know about GEICO?" I basically just recited everything I memorized off of Wikipedia. Oh and don't forget that GEICO is the #2 insurance company and growing at a rate of 10% each year.

5) All day in person interview
    - Each person covered a different portion of my credentials. The first guy was really cool, it was a really relaxing and personal interview, nothing too strenuous. Second guy was socially awkward and gave no indication that he was listening to my responses to his questions. Some of the questions asked here will pertain to your educational history + specifically any classes you did poorly on. Make sure to make up some BS about what the class was about + make a good reason as to why you didn't do your best on it. Third is a comped lunch with a couple associates. They make it really awkward by trying to ask you questions about your resume while you're eating. Fourth part is going over your analytical skills test. Just make sure to pay attention here and pretend like you care a lot about what you got wrong + the right process of thinking. Lastly is an interview with a morbidly obese lady who asked the most ridiculous/out of nowhere question. "What do you know about Warren Buffett/Berkshire Hathaway and what are some benefits of GEICO being a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway?" Basically, just Google that beforehand and surprise them when you have a well thought out answer to their stupid question. Oh, then she also asked a situational question: "If we have information regarding the last two years, what factors should we look at when considering giving a discount to current State Farm policyholders in order to entice them into switching over to GEICO?" Basically just think it through and defend your answer. Apparently GEICO is thinking about actually implementing this --- watch out, State Farm.

I didn't get the job, but the benefits seemed great. 4 days off a year, no 401k matching, and profit sharing that only kicks in after you've been there a year. It seems like the entire interview process is meant to find reasons to weed people out as opposed to getting talented people to help build their company... which is probably why the turnover rate for the PMA position is so high. Anyways, good luck! :)

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Warren Buffett/Berkshire Hathaway and what are some benefits of GEICO being a wholly owned subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway?   1 Answer

Product Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at GEICO in November 2015.

Interview

A recruiter emailed me and asked me to apply online with a resume, cover letter, and all transcripts. The recruiter also asked me to fill out a questionnaire and send it back via email. Then I took the PMA Analyst test, which is a 2-hour test taken through MS Excel. There's no way to prepare for the test, and as a college student, I do not have experience with insurance product management, so I didn't know the answer to a two questions. A few days later, I received a "Do Not Respond" email letting me know that I was not selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in specifically working for GEICO?   Answer Question
    • How do you believe your degree and unique kills and experience match up to the requirements of this position?   Answer Question
    • Could you tell me about an analytical project that you have worked on that is relevant to this position?   Answer Question
    • What other jobs/companies are you currently applying for/to?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Linkedin. That same day I received an email from a GEICO recruiter asking me to send another copy of my resume as well as complete the job application again on the GEICO website. In the email the recruiter also included some basic HR questions such as (what is your desired salary range, would you be willing to relocate etc..). After this step I was sent a questionnaire with similar phone interview style questions plus some atypical questions (ex: what was your SAT score with a breakdown of each section). I was also asked for yet another copy of my resume, as if the first two I sent them were just ignored, as well as my transcript, and cover letter. After not hearing back for some time I was contacted saying that I needed to be scheduled for a 2 hour analytical test. The test is excel based, but mainly tests on insurance knowledge and problem solving. On the morning of my test day I was not emailed a copy of my test at the scheduled time. I emailed my recruiter and received an automatic reply saying that they were out of the office with no access to email or phone. I had to reach out to someone else in the HR department who finally emailed me the test about 45mins later than the scheduled time. After completing the test and sending it back I didn't even get a reply saying that it had been received. About a week later I received a call out of the blue asking to set up a phone interview the next day. The HR person told me they would send an email to schedule it. I never received a follow up email. The next morning I was sent an email that said I was not selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• How does your past experience relate to the job you have applied for?   Answer Question

Product Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at GEICO in June 2015.

Interview

Study growth rates , study growth rates, SQL and know excel ! I was giving a questionnaire form instead of a phone screen. The excel test caught me by complete surprise! You only giving two hours to complete. It's a either you know or you don't ! So just take time and read the description and know excel!

Interview Questions

• How many years does it take geico to gain market share from all state?   Answer Question

Product Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GEICO.

Interview

My advice to future candidates: Study growth rates and problems using compound interest and interest rates. Study the various insurance ratios. Thoroughly explain why you chose your answers. Refresh your memory on percentage problems and calculations. I made it up to the Excel assessment and was completely caught off-guard. I am still a student and wasn't completely set on my decisions to work for Geico, so I didn't put forth as much effort; rather did it for the interview experience. But if you want to work for Geico, the test is very important to them...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Washington, DC) in March 2015.

Interview

Multiple Stages but moves fast. Had to send my Resume, unofficial transcript, SAT or ACT scores and then fill out their questionnaire. After that I had a analytical test to take which was pretty challenging followed by a phone interview. Finally, I had multiple face to face interviews with employees in various positions in the company at their headquarters.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time you used analytical skills to solve a problem?   Answer Question

Product Management Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO in March 2015.

Interview

Typical online application process with a fairly extensive questionnaire into phone interview. Phone interviewer seemed to have little experience or interest in doing the interview. Run of the mill questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD).

Interview

Applied through college recruiting and was asked to take a questionnaire regarding various background experiences and project based questions. A couple of days later I was asked to take an assessment given through Excel. You were given two hours to complete this, and there were some insurance related questions, in which I had no prior experience with. Almost immediately after completing the assessment I was invited to talk with a current PMA. It was mostly behavioral and wouldn't worry too much about this round. About 3 or 4 days later I was emailed for an invitation for a final round at their HQ. I would highly highly recommend that you literally research everything about GEICO because they will ask you about the most random history of the company. Like literally, if you actually want this you need to be able to spit out random and useless facts which in my opinion was really dumb. During the actual on site interview I had 4 interviews with a lunch in the cafeteria with current analysts. One of the interviews you have a manager that goes over the assessment with you in detail. LISTEN AND TAKE NOTES. Because in another interview they WILL ask you questions regarding insurance terms. Next you will have an interview with two VP's within Product Management. This is what really turned me off and when one person wanted the most minute details regarding GEICO which was really unnecessary. In addition she was really unprofessional and mean when I didn't have the level of detail she wanted to hear and immediately told me I didn't get the position. Thus I felt that much of my day was wasted and even if it had gone well, I would never in a million years have took it because of her unprofessional actions.

Interview Questions

• Just research the company. Additionally they expect you to know insurance terms which was not communicated forth to me.   Answer Question