GEICO Sales Representative Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GEICO Sales Representative Interview Questions

Updated Apr 8, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stafford, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GEICO (Stafford, VA) in April 2017.

Interview

apply on line. then was called in to interview at corp office. had one on one interview with hr person it was one on one. the whole process was encouraging and it all seemed to go well.

Interview Questions

• why do u want to work here   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for GEICO

Anonymous Employee in Clarence, NY

Application

The process took 6 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Clarence, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process is very thorough and some parts are somewhat difficult. First step is an easy phone interview, after that they have you come in for a typing test and multitasking test. This part may fluster you but just stay calm and focused and you'll do fine. After that they set up a face to face interview, and in this part you are asked behavioral interview questions so study up on that. Also if you don't have sales experience, make sure you come up with a few scenarios on how you would handle a sale. If you pass this part you then go through a role playing exercise where you are answering telephone calls and selling a product. They give you a packet with all the information you need. It is awkward but remain confident and make sure you ask for the sale. The third phone call is designed for you not to close the sale no matter what so ask for the sale twice then leave it at that. This is by far the hardest part of the interview. If you pass this part you will then be taken to the sales floor and listen to a sales representative handle sales and calls for about an hour. Then you meet with the hiring supervisor which is more formal so be professional and maintain confidence throughout. A lot of the interview is testing how good you are being put on the spot. After that interview you will be offered the job if you did well, and then they take a hair analysis drug test and background check. If you pass all of this the job is yours!!! Good luck everyone I had a positive experience and I hope you do too.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you handle a situation where everything was going wrong.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

Like so many previous reviews, GEICO rejects good candidates left and right. The process is phone interview, personality assessment, then in person computer assessment, one on one interview, then role play and job shadowing. Myself, I made it to the one on one with a short woman. She interviewed me and I could tell the whole time she's not going to send me to the 'next round'. She quickly told me I'll get and email and sent me on my way. The following Monday I promptly got a reject email. Seems peculiar and unproductive to reject before testing the candidates sales ability. If you get rejected, don't sweat it, if you go through reviews you'll see many qualified people were rejected also.

Interview Questions

• Why Geico? Tell me about a time when...? How much notice did you give your last job before leaving? Basic questions   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at GEICO.

Interview

Received a call from HR after submission of Resume, ask several questions regarding pay rate and hours, if I was open to them. if open you are invited to take the next step for an In house interview and assessment test

Interview Questions

• How many times were you late to work on your previous or current position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Lakeland, FL).

Interview

Grueling, takes all day long. Computer proficiency test, then interview with manager, standard questions. Then phone sale roleplay. Then sit with sales agent for like 1-4 hours then interview with sales manager. you'll either have to sell him markers or argue why your the best fit compared to someone with only education and only sales experience. you'll most likely get the marker challenge. you should ask things like "why buying" "what do you do?" "what do you need them for?" etc. then use those things to sell him.

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Virginia Beach, VA) in April 2016.

Interview

Long process, started off with a personality exam at home. A few days later received an email to schedule a pre-employment testing. After the testing I was told I passed and offered an interview. After the first interview with HR they conducted a role play sales call. They then went over my results and give you advice. Then scheduled me a time to meet with the sales manager. The sales manager sat me with a sales representative in which I shadowed for about 30 minutes before I then spoke with the account manager about the position for a second interview. To me the entire process was comfortable and a great environment. The whole process took about 4 hours. My main advice would be to be energetic , confident , and willing to learn.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary non-negotiable. They allow you to choose which set of hours/ days you'd like to work

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GEICO (Virginia Beach, VA) in February 2016.

Interview

I'm going to be as detailed as possible because this was a long one. After you get the email from GEICO confirming that you've been chosen for pre-employment testing, schedule it early in the day so you can have time to make it all the way through the process without multiple visits. Step one is a test of your computer skills. If you're a good typist and multi-tasker, it will be a breeze. Read the instructions and click on the tabs and memorize the info and you'll be good. You'll then be scheduled an interview with someone from HR. They'll ask a ton of typical interview questions. My interviewer suggested I apply to the sales position even though I'd shown up for the customer service position. I took his advice and answered questions for both, but when it came to the next step, which is a series of mock phone calls, I had to go with one or the other so I stuck with sales.

You are given a sheet describing a fictional car wash service. READ THE DESCRIPTION CAREFULLY. This step is always awkward, but keep good phone etiquette, use the customer's name, and don't forget to ASK FOR THE SALE. Use demonstrative language, don't be timid if you can manage (nerves will likely be high, truly this part of the interview process is easily the WORST). You'll really impress them if you take notes during each call, such as relevant customer info that may lead to an upsell, so keep that in mind. Just don't forget to use the customer's name and ask for the sale. It's even stated in the packet that describes the fictional company. Know that each caller will be different. Don't take no for an answer, but use your head and don't be a bully. One of the 3 callers will not buy no matter what you say. Tread lightly.

Afterwards, you'll be taken to the call center floor to shadow a sales rep. This took up about 45 minutes and was probably my favorite part of the entire (long) process. The girl I shadowed was very friendly and her cubicle mates introduced themselves to me and were funny. Helped calm my nerves. Pay attention to the customers and really use this as an opportunity to learn a little bit about insurance. When your sales rep puts a customer on hold or has a few moments between calls, ask questions. You will not be "getting on their nerves" or otherwise disturbing them; it is why you're there. Everyone at this facility is extremely cooperative, so ask your questions, take your notes, and when you run out of space, flip the paper over and take more notes. When I was with my rep, she was able to take 4 or 5 calls before I was pulled for the final portion, a quick interview with the sales manager.

By this point you will know if you want this job or not. Don't lie to yourself about it. The manager will more than likely be very conversational and just have a couple questions they want to expand on or clarify because they have a compendium of notes from the 800 steps you just completed prior. They will then disappear, in all likelihood to have a quick chat with the sales rep you shadowed (whom you remembered to regale with your wit and charm and inquisitive nature), and come back with an offer, or perhaps not. I had to complete these steps over the course of 2 days because I ran out of time to complete all the steps in a single day. Schedule your visit for as early as possible! And good luck. It isn't too trying (other than the phone calls), but the marathon nature of it is why I chose to categorize it as a difficult interview instead of average. USE GLASSDOOR TO PREPARE. Probably 90% or more of the questions I was asked were on this site.

PLEASE, dress in traditional business attire or business casual! You will almost certainly have an interview after the computer skills test, do not show up in jeans and flip flops or something! You will immediately stand out if you look put together, confident, and approachable. You'll feel a lot more formidable, too.

Interview Questions

• Why GEICO? How do you deal with stress? Describe a time you disagreed with a past manager and why. Describe a time you received constructive criticism and how you responded to it. How would you deal with a disgruntled customer? Describe a time when you had many tasks but had to prioritize one over the others. In previous sales positions, how did you track your goals/metrics?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Poway, CA).

Interview

Applied via their website. Received an email the next day to schedule a phone interview, simple process with the phone interview. Next went in to take a computer assessment/typing test, after passing that had a interview with the hiring recruiter that emailed me. He liked what I had to say and passed me to the nest round.

The next round was a role play. He left the room and had his supervisor call me while I was trying to sell a fake "car wash" gave me information on the car wash to go over before hand. She called three times, apparently she liked what I had to say to she passed me to the next step in the hiring process.

The next round I was able to sit with a Sales Rep and dial in on his phone calls to see if I would still be interested. It seemed pretty tough but with appropriate training it would be a breeze.

Finally the last step in the hiring process! I had one final interview with the sales manager. She liked everything I had to say and offered me the position. All in all was there for about 6 hours.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. They tell you what it is straight up so you can make the decision if you'd like to continue with the offer. It's contingent upon passing a drug test, background and credit check.

Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA).

Interview

The process is long and very tough. If you are a good candidate and have time, be prepared for a full day of interviewing. Phone interview then they call you in for testing. If you pass that then you do role play then you get to shadow on the the sales floor. If you make it passed that then you meet with the final floor manager where she offers you the position or not.

Interview Questions

• Can you see yourself here long term   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Virginia Beach, VA) in November 2015.

Interview

First I got an email saying that they wanted to invite me to the regional office for a computer test. When I arrived there were nine other applicants waiting. All but three passed the test. Next is an interview with HR. There were a lot of self-reflective questions and questions about past work experiences. I would say to have at least three negative and positive experiences on hand to tell. The third part was a shadow session with someone working in the sales department and right after that there is a one on one interview with the manager for that department. The process is very long and drawn out. I had to go up to the regional office five separate times trying to get everything done. They did not offer me the sales position, but I got a call back saying they wanted me in customer service and I accepted.