GEICO Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 19, 2017

3.2

Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stafford, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Stafford, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

Applied on Friday, February 3rd online. I was called on Monday to schedule a phone interview that I scheduled the next day. After having the phone interview Tuesday morning I was invited to come in for a face to face which I scheduled for Wednesday morning, the following day. The phone interview is very simple to pass if you express genuine interest, are professional, flexible in your schedule, and have a good answer for why you want to work for GEICO. I was scheduled to come in at 7:45 on February 8th. I arrived at 7:20 and waited until they opened the lobby I was supposed to go to at 7:30. Me and two other gentlemen took the computer assessment test shortly thereafter. That took about twenty minutes. It was a multitasking test followed by typing test that is fairly easy to pass as long as you don't let yourself get frustrated. After that a lady came in and had us watch a 15 minute video about what it's like working for all the departments in GEICO. When the video was finished we were returned to the small lobby to wait. After about twenty minutes, a woman came and grabbed one of the gentlemen that was interveiwing with me. Then immediately after another woman came and called me back. I was polite and friendly and tried to make small talk on the way to her office, and she was very nice and reciprocated. Once we got in her office she gave me a behavioural interview. Which was asking how I solved a problem, or handled certain situations in previous jobs. This can throw people off if they aren't familiar with behavioural questions so look them up and come up with answers so you will be ready. I prepared so I answered all her questions very smoothly. After that portion she asked me if I needed to be anywhere or if I wanted to take a break. I said no thank you and I was ready to move on. Since I was referred by someone she assumed I knew I had to role-play during the hiring process and I told I was aware, yes. So we immediately went down the hall to a room with a telephone and some paperwork. She told me this portion would take about an hour and a half and I would act like a claims agent for a fake company. I was given 25 minutes to read the manual given to gain some knowledge of my position and look through the papers. After that the simulation started and she called me three times with three different customer scenarios. She would also drop in the room and deliver paperwork to me that was apart of the simulation. All the while admist the phone calls you are expected to fill out proper reports and paperwork concerning the phone calls...and look through your papers to answer the customers questions...because you won't know off your head. After the simulation was done she called me on the phone and told me the role playing was over and had some follow up questions. After that she came in the room, collected the paper work and asked me to wait once again in the small lobby while she reveiwed it. After about 25 minutes she called me back and said everything looked great and that I definitely passed the role play. Which relieved me because I didn't complete the paperwork but handled myself pretty well on the phone for someone with no experience. They obviously don't expect you to be perfect but you can't be horrible either. Average I think will get you through that stage. She once again asked if I needed to be anywhere or needed a break. I once again said no thank you and she told me I would be shown the claims department and watch someone on the job. I was told by numerous people if you get to this portion you pretty much got it. But I didn't get full of myself and still acted very interested and professional the whole time. So I returned to the small lobby to wait. About 10 minutes later a hiring manager escorted me upstairs to the claims department. He showed me around a little and found someone who was willing to have me sit with them and watch them do their job. I sat with this nice girl who did her job very well and listened to her calls for about 45 minutes to an hour. After that a different hiring manager took me back and gave another interview. These questions where a little more about past experiences, if I still thought I would be a good fit after seeing what it was like, and easing concerns that he may have about me not having experience. I was prepared so I answered these pretty well too. He started telling me more about the job, the salary, benefits, etc. That interview was about 30 minutes...then he said he would offer me the job! He took me back downstairs to the small lobby where I spent about 30 minutes filling out paperwork as well as online paperwork. After that I went and took my picture so my badge would be ready the day I started...then I was sent to an urgent care nearby to take a hair follicle test. So even though the process is long...if you're prepared and the job is for you...you will most likely get it.

Interview Questions

• One thing we are generally concerned with is people coming from jobs were they are mobile and moving around. Here, you are at a desk 8 hours a day on the phone. Why shouldn't I be concerned?   1 Answer

Negotiation

If you want to get the job. Do your homework, and make sure you actually want to work there. I went on YouTube and watched a few hours of interviews situations and had all my answers ready before I went in. I also saw other situations on Glass door.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

Had a phone interview, then scheduled for a meeting in a few days. Took a typing and multitasking test - this will probably be easy for younger applicants used to social media and video games. Then had an in-person interview with some basic interest questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to resolve a customer dispute.   Answer Question

Senior Net Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

I got an email asking some questions, then technical interview by phone with 4 technical recruiters, the interview wasn't easy you have to prepare, then on-site interview with the same team.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waldorf, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GEICO (Waldorf, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

The phone interviews are BS, you can hear the person monotonously reading off their sheet and the tapping of them scrolling down their screen. Been through the process three times and each time they take their time getting back to you and waste about two months of your time just to say you didn't get the position. Time could have been spent applying elsewhere...

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chevy Chase, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Chevy Chase, MD) in January 2017.

Interview

After completing an online logic test, had a one on one in person interview on my college campus, which consisted of fairly standard behavioral questions. About a week later, was invited to a final round interview at the main office in Maryland, but didn't end up interviewing for about a month due to conflicting schedules. The final round interview was a series of one on ones, with a mix of behavioral and problem solving questions regarding the insurance industry. Also was required to take a "technical" Excel test that was a fairly simple exercise evaluating some data, and then discussed the exercise with one of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What are some ways you think we could keep our prices lower than our competitors?   Answer Question

Claims Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GEICO (Fredericksburg, VA).

Interview

Received a call the next day to do over the phone interview. Accepted and was told the position I was inquiring about was filled up. Was told of a possible future date for my position so I agreed to meet in person with testing. Waited nearly 20 mins before myself and another began computer testing. After watched video for 15 mins. Was told to wait once again in waiting area. The other was called in 1 st. She and I had been chatting it up for some time so when she was called in we both wished each other luck. She came out less than 5 mins later looking down didn't say 1 word to me and just left without even putting her coat on! I waited nearly 30 mins before I was called. Took 45 mins to do questions and roll play. Although they have your resume, the company will still ask what you did between this time and this time. Now I know I answered those questions fairly if not well. I worked customer service 6 yrs in one company and due to the hubby being active military we moved a lot. I felt that was going to be a problem because they asked me if we were going to move again and I said No. We are here to stay which is true. The hubby is retired now. Still, I was asked how much time did I have today to offer them and I answered, I'm here for as long as you need me! I waited for another 10 mins I believe when I was called back in was given an apology for the wait and verified my email address and number. I knew that was it. I was told I passed the test and either a phone call or email would be the next step if I were a good match for the job. Was told if I was rejected I had to wait 6 months before I could reapply. Left and knew that was it for me I wasn't getting that job position and left the building knowing I did the best I knew how. Woke up the next day and turned on my cell to check my inbox knowing that their rejection email would be there and sure enough, there it was. I read in another review that Geico doesn't like gaps in employment. I do believe that was my downfall. I also don't believe that no business should dismiss a military wife who has helped to serve our country and had to place their career at times on hold for the cause. Unfortunately it happens more times than not. Military wives active and getting back in the work force should be very strongly considered. If you have a strong communications background like I do and I'm sure a lot do! 10 mins isn't enough time to look over something and regardless of passing the computer tests I was still rejected. As for the girl that I was speaking with throughout the entire process I don't know why she left so quickly within 5 mins and tore out of there right by me and didn't look up or say, bye. All in all the it wasn't a bad experience but the in between long waits can get your mind going a bit stir crazy. As for dressing up like I was told. I saw a lot of people dressing down. Jeans, street sneakers, hair undone and unpolished. Even the videos show people in them looking just like that. I bring this up because I asked about dress code during the over the phone interview and I was told that you must dress up! No jeans, sneakers etc. I didn't see that.

Interview Questions

• What did you do between this time and this time when you weren't working?   Answer Question

Actuarial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GEICO (Washington, DC) in December 2016.

Interview

The process was pretty involved:
    1. They have you complete an info sheet about you and why you want the job
    2. 2 hr Excel test - kind of difficult, it is good to have knowledge of some P&C concepts going into it
    3. Phone screen - mostly behavioral questions trying to gauge how interested you are in the job
    4. On site - met with 4 ppl and then had lunch with 2 others, questions are mostly basic interview questions, but you also go over the Excel test and they ask you more questions about that, so it is good to review it before your interview

Auto Damage Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GEICO (Alexandria, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online, including a personality assessment test. Within a few hours I received an email with a link for additional assessment tests - reading comprehension and visualization. After completing those, I received an email the next day with a link to schedule a telephone interview, which I scheduled for the following afternoon. It was scheduled for up to an hour, but the recruiter was about 15 minutes late and apologized for having to end it at 45 minutes. I'm terrible with interviews. However it went really well. The questions were mostly "have you ever...", "How did you handle the situation...", etc. The recruiter told me to expect a call from one of the supervisors to schedule my role play session. That was scheduled for early the following week. I also received an email with a link to complete a fleet auto underwriting application to confirm I was acceptable to drive company vehicles.

Based on reviews I had read, I was terrified of the role play session. But it was one of the best interview experiences I have ever had. For those who think the GEICO process is unnecessarily complex and difficult, you have to consider they are taking a big gamble on the person they decide to hire. The first 3 months at the company you are in class learning how to do the job and you're being paid for it. Any way, the role play starts with 30 minutes of instruction of how the session will play out and the rules of the game. I saw it as dungeons & dragons without the dice or improvisational acting with guidelines. The secret is stay positive, stay confident, and follow the rules/guidelines as presented.

After the role play they said they would review the results, total my score, and get back to me in a few days. I left figuring I blew it. Less than two hours later the supervisor called to let me know the manager was on vacation, but she wanted to talk to me the next day. He gave me her cell number and the time to call. The next morning we talked for about 30 minutes or so. The first thing she asked was how I thought I did on the role play. We discussed it for a few minutes then reviewed some of the questions from the initial interview. We also discussed the stress of keeping the insured happy while staying within the guidelines of the claims process. At the end she offered me the position, which I gladly accepted. Time from submission of my application to tendered offer was 8 days.

The next steps are a background check and drug tests (urine and hair samples).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with an angry customer. How did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online, and got called up by the recruiter who asked a few questions about my background and then set up a technical phone screen with the manager and 5 other system engineers. The technical phone screen lasted about an hour and had about 10 questions. I was then called a week later by the recruiter to set up an onsite interview. They flew me to Washington DC and put me in a nice hotel, and then the following day I came in for my onsite with the technical and operational leads. The onsite interview lasted about 3 hours and they asked a few technical questions and some operational/managerial questions. After that, they told me theyll let me know of their decision and a week later I got the verbal offer followed by a written offer, contingent upon passing drug test and background check, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience with project management? If so, please describe it carefully.   Answer Question

Auto Damage Adjuster Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GEICO (Rockville, MD) in November 2016.

Interview

Send resume , took online assessment tests, and then had phone interview. The assessment test was fairly long and maybe took almost an hour to complete. waiting for the telephone interview after receiving an email was too long . The interview seemed to go really well they were pretty easy questions just on how you would react to going out of state for training for the links of training been eight weeks in one place in four weeks in another place seemed pretty easy .

Interview Questions

• Would unsafe areas be a problem?   1 Answer