GREE International Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GREE International Entertainment Interview Questions

Interviews at GREE International Entertainment

2.8

PM Interview

Interview

- Phone interview
    - On-site x2

Standard process, asked about background experience, motivation, and some sample case studies.

HR team is extremely friendly and helped keep me up to date on the entire process.

Interviewees also rather nice - many were Japanese, so extremely formal. Trying to be a Silicon Valley start-up feel, but can tell it's only a PR image.

Interview Questions

• Discuss the social mobile landscape between US and Asia   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

The hiring and recruiting process at Gree is consists of a phone interview by a recruiter team that is too busy to place you well. The recruiter cancelled meetings with me multiple times and took a month after a phone screen to get an in person interview. Gree in the second quarter of 2012 is hiring very aggressively and the interview process is long and chaotic. Most of the team members that I talked to had conflicting stories about the position I was applying for.

Interview Questions

• How do you tackle performance problems?   1 Answer

Great place if you want to work in the gaming industry for a median salary.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Was contacted out of the blue by a recruiter then they followed up by having me contact another recruiter. I was brought in for an interview and only asked technical questions, nothing at all about management. I was subsequently offered a title of Lead Server Engineer (which was essentially a euphemism for software engineer with higher pay). I did not appreciate the bait and switch tactic.

Interview Questions

• No questions were actually difficult. It was an extremely easy interview.   Answer Question

I declined because the pay was low and it wasn't the title they offered. I do not appreciate the bait and switch technique at all. I would seriously avoid this company.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview process was very smooth, contacted by recruiter to set up in person interview. In-person interview was pretty long 4-hours with 4 different managers. Questions more the less the same, with a basic excel test at the end

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Submitted an application online, and received a response from a recruiter immediately. Set up a phone interview with a recruiter. This was followed by a second phone screen with a PM, which was prefaced by a short assignment regarding a mobile game. Asked to go on-site for four interviews with PMs (told ahead of time which ones), though only three of them actually happened (about 45 minutes each). PMs asked some background questions and then very practical questions regarding games - how would you monetize, what would set it apart, etc. Knowledge of existing games in the market is very helpful.

After the interview, took about three weeks before the offer was extended, then a few more weeks to settle start and end date.

Interview Questions

• If you could make any mobile game right now, what would it be and why.   Answer Question

Business Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Came in for an interview twice. Once to meet with various members of teams I'd be working with on a day to day basis and once with higher management to approve me for "cultural fit." The recruiters were very on top of things and were always available if I had questions about next steps.

Level Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was lucky enough to have an amazing recruiter put in a good word for me at Gree which led to them "giving me a chance". The recruiter liked me because we had chatted a few times over the phone and he could tell I'm a nice guy and passionate, skilled, and motivated. I think I "passed" the design test because an interview followed and they asked questions about why I chose to include the mechanics I did. I was caught off guard with a surprisingly specific, in depth question about how the game specifically works on mobile. Even though I bombed the one question, the whole interview was very distant and impersonal. I got the feeling that they were only interested in talent, not at all about the person which is sad. From the other reviews I've read, it seems like I'm right. If you can do the same thing everyone else has already done, regardless of your personality, you're good for the job that won't advance your career.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past work experiences. Why mobile games? Why did you make these decisions on your design test? How are your programming/scripting skills? How would I compensate for a game heavily inspired by an RTS game for PC being on mobile when mobile devices are limited by less screen space, less processing power, and simple touch gestures?   Answer Question

Mobile Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I did an afternoon's worth of interviews at Gree for a software engineering position.

I spoke with three potential co-workers plus the recruiter. Usually in interviewing situations, the H.R. person is the most dry and by-the-book discussion out of all while the teammates closest to me as a candidate are the most engaging; but in the Gree interviewing case, the recruiter person was the most animated, forthcoming and refreshingly candid person out of the group (she seems to be well aware that the company has been thoroughly bashed by employees on Glassdoor, which she attributed to trouble getting the acquired companies integrated culturally).

The team members I spoke with, on the other hand, were as boring as a box of rocks and didn't make me feel like I'd be inspired to do my best as an engineer. The hiring manager was friendly enough, but had impressively black circles under his eyes (i.e. which I took to be a sign of not getting nearly enough sleep?).

The office environment I saw was a building floor full of long tables, people sitting at their stations. While I've worked in this environment before and it works well for some engineers, for myself I'd prefer either an individual office (e.g. what one might find at Adobe or Google) or a cubicle with higher walls so I can concentrate on the task at hand.

By the time this review gets posted, Gree will be back at in China Basin (near the ballpark). So I'm not 100% certain what the office environment there will be like, but overall Gree just didn't seem like the best or happiest place for me to hang my hat.

If my find my interview report & details (and transcribed interview questions) helpful, please let me know by voting on the "Helpful?" link below.

Interview Questions

• Given a linked list that looks like this:

Node * head;

class Node {
           Node * next;
      }

create a "reverse()" function that lives *within* the Node class that reverses the order of the linked list.   1 Answer
    • Write code to detect if a string is a palindrome (i.e. a sentence that may be read the same way in either direction).   1 Answer
    • Here's an Objective C category extension. What's wrong with this code?

@interface UIImage (RemoteImage)

if( self != nil )
              url = _url;
              NSURLResponse * response = [NSURLResponse new];
              NSURLRequest * request = [[NSURLRequest alloc] initWithURL: url];
              NSData * data = [NSURLConnection sendSynchronousRequest: request returningResponse: response error: nil];
              image = [UIImage imageWithData: data];
              return image;

return self;

- (void) dealloc
          [super dealloc];

[url release];
          [image release];

@end   1 Answer
    • Here's some broken code, describe what's wrong with it:

NSMutableArray * objects;
              [objects removeObjectAtIndex: i];
      }   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

1st phone interview with HM -- general technical questions
    2nd coding test with HM --- standard case study
    3rd onsite interview with HM, two team members, and two other team leads -- general technical questions and mostly open discussion with no unique right answer.

Onsite seems like I received all positive feedbacks

Interview Questions

• There is no very difficult question. Mostly general technical questions and mostly open discussion with no unique right answer.   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Round 1: Casual discussion with recruiter regarding background, technical skills

Round 2: "Take home" coding test through hackerrank.com.

Round 3: Phone call with Software Developer. Asked to create a stack object with O(1) time for push, pop and getMin operations.

Interview Questions

• Provide different types of encryption based on standard QWERTY keyboard layout (flip keyboard horizontally, flip keyboard vertically, shift keyboard). Given 2 hours to complete coding exam.   Answer Question