GREE International Entertainment Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

GREE International Entertainment Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Oct 10, 2016

2.8

Game Level Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, followed by a phone interview with a Lead Designer, followed by a test. I completed the test, and HR responded that I passed the test. Then they sent me a few more emails asking about my availability, which I was fully ready to work. Then the emails mysteriously stopped without a reason.

Interview Questions

• What new card would I add to Hearthstone and what new game mode would I introduce to Hearthstone?   Answer Question

Android Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Round 1: Casual discussion with recruiter regarding background, technical skills

Round 2: "Take home" coding test through hackerrank.com.

Round 3: Phone call with Software Developer. Asked to create a stack object with O(1) time for push, pop and getMin operations.

Interview Questions

• Provide different types of encryption based on standard QWERTY keyboard layout (flip keyboard horizontally, flip keyboard vertically, shift keyboard). Given 2 hours to complete coding exam.   Answer Question

Senior Games Systems Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied to Gree pretty late in my interview process. While they got back to me very quickly, I was all set to do several final interviews that week with a number of other companies. They expedited the interview process so that they could get me onsite in a matter of days. The rapidity of the process was a bit stressful, but it was amazing how they worked with me. I had two phone screenings, a test, and then the onsite in 4 days. The most stressful part was completing the systems test with only a day to turn it around. However, they were understanding about the time frame, and I think they cut me a little slack, as even I was not completely happy with my first and only pass on my answers.

Onsite most of the people I met gave me very open ended questions. They seemed more interested in how I would answer and what my thought process was than whether I had the "right" answer. I met with a Design Lead, a Mid Level Design, a Data Driven Product Manager, a Senior Product Manager, and my meetings were book ended by discussions with my HR contact. The one uncomfortable experience was the questions fielded by the Senior PM. As I said most of the interviewers seemed interested in how I would answer questions, she seemed to be looking for very specific answers. I got the sense the Senior PM was looking for an ally, someone who would be on her side, but I wasn't sure what exactly her thought processes was. She asked me very specific questions about hardcore game monitization and didn't seem to agree with my philosophies regarding testing and user psychology, or proposed solutions to monitization issues.

The best part was that they gave me a lot of feedback. The fact that they did this is why I am writing this review, I gather they didn't do this in the past and it has been a sore point. I don't know if they changed their policy about giving feedback based on reviews from this site, but if so it is nice to see a company actually learn from what people say on Glassdoor. Anyway, they basically confirmed what I had thought. They told me the designers were very confident in my Systems abilities, that my Data Analysis skills came off as very strong, however that they were not so sure about my understanding of hardcore games. This sort of confirmed what I thought about my interview with the Senior PM. Perhaps I am deluding myself, believing what I want to, however when I talk to others in the industry who know me well they laugh about that comment. Anyway, if that was the case, that she wanted an ally more than a good designer, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed our working relationship long term. So, it's all for the best really.

Interview Questions

• They gave me chart showing the power of players over time broken down by quartiles (percentile ranges), they then asked me to interpret the graph.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied in person, followed by a phone screen, online technical test, and an on-site interview. Normal interview process and good communication with the technical recruiter. It took a little longer than average because I was also interviewing with other companies, so it was sometimes difficult to coordinate the schedules. Questions are standard programming interview questions from sites such as LeetCode. There were also some system design and server questions thrown in.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are covered under NDA so I can't disclose. Nothing is terribly tricky, but prior studying is recommended.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

A brief phone interview with HR and then online coding challenge.
    Language options for the coding challenge are pretty limited even though they were hiring non PHP/Go engineers.
    If you don't have the working knowledge of PHP or Go, it is hard to solve all the problems in a short amount time and they don't really care if you know other languages or have experiences in software engineering.

Level Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was lucky enough to have an amazing recruiter put in a good word for me at Gree which led to them "giving me a chance". The recruiter liked me because we had chatted a few times over the phone and he could tell I'm a nice guy and passionate, skilled, and motivated. I think I "passed" the design test because an interview followed and they asked questions about why I chose to include the mechanics I did. I was caught off guard with a surprisingly specific, in depth question about how the game specifically works on mobile. Even though I bombed the one question, the whole interview was very distant and impersonal. I got the feeling that they were only interested in talent, not at all about the person which is sad. From the other reviews I've read, it seems like I'm right. If you can do the same thing everyone else has already done, regardless of your personality, you're good for the job that won't advance your career.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past work experiences. Why mobile games? Why did you make these decisions on your design test? How are your programming/scripting skills? How would I compensate for a game heavily inspired by an RTS game for PC being on mobile when mobile devices are limited by less screen space, less processing power, and simple touch gestures?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One technical phone screen, followed by a 2 hour remote coding test, followed by an all day on-site interview.

My overall interview experience was exhausting. People were nice, enjoyed answering some of these questions, including the coding test. I was positive about getting an offer but got rejected because they were looking for a principal engineer with more than 5-7 years of experience. That was such a big turn-off for me as they did not make this clear from the beginning at all. And the kind of experience they were looking for, wasn't mentioned anywhere in my resume. I am surprised why they even considered me for this role and invited me over for an all-day interview expecting a level of experience that I clearly didn't have! It was such an exhausting experience and such a waste of both of our time!

Interview Questions

• First phone screen: Vector mathematics and algebra basics, like direction of vectors, addition, subtraction and dot product etc   Answer Question
    • Second Phone Screen was a 2 hour coding test. I was asked to solve the famous Island Problem - Given a matrix of 1s and 0s, 1 representing land and 0 representing water, an island represents a cluster of 1s that are connected with 1s in the top, bottom, left and right indexes, and diagonals don't count. I was asked to submit a working code to count the number of islands in the given matrix   1 Answer
    • On-Site Interviews: I had in total 5 people interviewing me back to back, without any breaks in between. It also included a 90 minute coding test similar to the remote coding test. I had to produce a working code to implement a series of encoding functions such as left shift, right shift, flip etc of a matrix of characters in the keyboard. And it needs to run for a given set of test cases.

Topics I was asked in the interviews are the following:
      1. Questions on C#, design patters, interfaces Vs Abstract classes, partial classes etc
      2. Deep knowledge on maths and trigonometry: Sin, Cos, formula for dot product, cross product including derivations, determinants of matrices, and much more in-depth knowledge on vector algebra.
      3. Some basic questions on Unity game engine such as game objects, transforms, parenting of model imports etc
      4. Behavioural questions - where do you want to see yourself in 5 years, what style of career do you want to carve for yourself, etc

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Long Process: Phone screen with recruiter, phone screen with CEO (on more like culture/behavioral questions), take home interview (talk about developing a feature/analyze activity data and come up with insights, on-site with Project Manager, 2 Product individuals, BI, and Marketing.

Come back on-site again to chat with VP of Product.

Interview Questions

• If LTV dropped what would the cause of it be?
      How would you measure success of a Live Ops Event?

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

1. A recruiter will contact you for a phone interview
    2. An engineer will schedule a technical phone interview with you
    3. The company will fly you down for an onsite interview
    4. You wait for the company to response and hopefully get an offer

Interview Questions

• You have a room-full of balances and weights. Each balance weighs ten pounds and is
      considered perfectly balanced when the sum of weights on its left and right sides are
      exactly the same. You have placed some weights on some of the balances, and you have
      placed some of the balances on other balances. Given a description of how the balances are
      arranged and how much additional weight is on each balance, determine how to add weight
      to the balances so that they are all perfectly balanced.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GREE International Entertainment (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview process was very smooth, contacted by recruiter to set up in person interview. In-person interview was pretty long 4-hours with 4 different managers. Questions more the less the same, with a basic excel test at the end