Galt & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Galt & Company Consultant Interview Questions

3.3

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Galt & Company (Champaign, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Started with an information session on campus. Submitted application online and had a round of in person interview, 2 interviewers back to back in 1 hour. Each interview had its behavioral questions and a case study, all pretty straightforward. Questions were asked about experiences on the resume, why you want to join Galt or consulting, etc. Very friendly staff.

Interview Questions

• Estimate the amount of windows in the Chicago Loop by square feet.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Galt & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Galt & Company (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone screen and then asked to a round of in person interviews. One of the interviews was behavioral and two had case components. The cases were market sizing questions, and in one they provided additional information and ultimately asked for a recommendation on what the client should do. They also asked general questions about why consulting, why Galt, etc. And then questions about experience on my resume and what sort of situations and challenges I encountered in my previous roles and how I handled those

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Galt & Company (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

The process took 4+ weeks.

Applied online, it took weeks for the recruiter to schedule a call and then after the initial screening, the recruiter suggested next round of phone interview. After multiple follow-up emails, the recruiter gave a standard answer that we don't want to move forward with next steps. I think the way recruiters handle the process reflects the culture of the company and the way they treat their employees. No respect for the candidates time and effort! Hiring is always a two- way street. Not a very enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• How many turkeys are sold in the US during Thanksgiving?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Galt & Company in September 2015.

Interview

Process consisted of:

- two 30 min phone screening that consisted of brain teasers, market sizing questions, a general run down of my resume & why I want to work for Galt. Interviewers were extremely friendly and supportive but if you are not used to interviewing for consultant positions, you could really get caught off guard

- One day of in-person interviews with 3 employees: one behavioral/fit interview, one case study, and one general interview regarding my experience and desire to work as a consultant at Galt. (3 other individuals were also interviewing that day)

Galt is extremely big on "Fit". If they don't feel as though you would be a good fit for the company, you will not get an offer, regardless of experience. As a small company, they want to ensure that all hires fit the mold of Galt's non-hierarchical environment

Overall great experience

Interview Questions

• Case study that involved going through a 12 page packet with detail about a company & its competitors. You have about 10-12 minutes to review. Questions: how can the company improve profitability, what are their opportunities/weaknesses, and breakeven type analysis   Answer Question
    • General market sizing questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

Limited room for negotiation; most consultants have salaries around a similar range and the true compensation comes from the YE bonus.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Galt & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial phone case interview, followed by 3-day in person interview with senior people, followed by a follow up excel skills interview (via phone). All was very fast- maybe 4-6 weeks for the whole process (non-campus). I was really turned off by one of the people I interviewed with (he seemed like a weirdo), but really liked some of the other people, and it turns out there are a ton of really fun people that work here. The cases were not at all particularly hard... 2 of them I answered right away, and the third one was in an industry that was very unfamiliar to me, but I got through it in the end just based on intuition. I didn't do any prep beforehand, but had done some case interviews a few years back, so knew what I was up against.

Interview Questions

• For one interview, they just gave me a fake company's income statement and balance sheet, and asked me what I thought was interesting about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Start dates are negotiable, but total compensation less so. The firm bases your bonus on getting to a "total compensation" number, so if you do get a higher salary, expect a lower bonus to compensate (so that you end up at whatever they want to pay you, based on your performance rating). It's actually a pretty fair way of doing things- and the compensation in the end is phenomenal for the industry.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Galt & Company.

Interview

Got a phone interview after an employee referral. The total conversation lasted about half an hour. The first half was behavioral questions, and the second half we did a market sizing question. The process was very quick. I got a letter after two days saying they would not proceed with my candidacy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Galt & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Case interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Galt & Company (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

One hour, two 1:1 interview with 2 MD. The first one is with a founder of the firm which is more behavior questions and it is good. The second one is more technical and tougher however I don't know what he wants. He asked me if I think I am lucky and how much a bottle of water cost. No case interview involved. The firm is small and their goal is to help public firms enhance their shareholder value (i.e. improve stock price). The job is very data intense. One interesting thing is you can live anywhere you want once if you have access to a major airport. You work at client site Monday-Thrusday and at home Friday. The company has a gathering every quarter.

Interview Questions

• How many cars do you think coming out of Manhattan every day?   1 Answer
    • How to measure 4L of water when you have one 5L and one 3L containers?   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Galt & Company in November 2011.

Interview

The first interview was a 30 minute phone interview with a consultant who leads the recruiting efforts. The phone interview consisted of your standard resume walk-through and then two mini cases/brain teasers: 1) if you had a rubric cube that was 10x10x10 and dipped it in paint, how many squares would be covered?, and 2) how would predict the cost of water?

I then had three in-person interviews. When I went to the office for the interview, there were a handful of other applicants there as well. I wasn't expecting that, but I wasn't too concerned, either. I started with a case study. It was led by the interviewer who read information off of a power point. After reviewing the information, he then asked specific questions based on graphs/data that was provided. Each candidate also met with two of the Partners for a behavioral-based interview. I was actually surprised at how much time both of them left for questions; I felt like I wasn't asked many questions but was expected to lead the interview conversation at times.

One thing I would advise: I read reviews on this site and other sites prior to my interview and they were not a fair representation of my experience; particularly about the "weird" or "intimidating" questions. I felt that more during the phone interview than the in-person interviews. I would advise anyone who is applying to keep that in mind, because I definitely feel as if I prepared too much for the wrong types of questions.