GameStop Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 29, 2017

2.1

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lockport, IL

Application

I interviewed at GameStop (Lockport, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Formal one on one, bring your resume! Store managers are generally very formal with prospects but no one will tolerate an absent minded person to trust with cash! Dress appropriately too. Shirt and tie or at least nice. No tshirts. Don't dress like the clientele if you want to be considered.

Interview Questions

• How do you upsell a customer?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at GameStop (Chicago, IL) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview with District Leader and then Store Leader. My second interview was warm and friendly and conversational. My first interview was intense. This all hinges on who you get. All you need to know is how to put sales over literally everything else.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Pretty basic interveiw. You apply online or in store and if you get a call, you show up, get pulled into the stock room. My interview lasted about 45min. Just be friendly and yourself. If you know video games and how to sell, your good.

Interview Questions

• They run you through a lot of your average scenarios. Try to get a feel for your personality and how you might handle things   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and about a month later I received a call from the district manager asking if I was still interested. So I went in and interviewed with one of the store managers in my city. He asked pretty basic questions and the whole interview was very casual and friendly. It was really just a conversation about my experience in sales and what I was looking for in a job and why I felt I'd make a good fit for the position. He told me someone would probably be in contact with me shortly to schedule another interview.

About a week later I was scheduled for my second interview at a different store with a different manager. He asked how I felt my other interview went, and reiterated a lot of the same information I received in the previous interview. He asked me similar questions, but focused more on my experience as a manger, i.e. hiring practices, delegation, disciplinary action, etc. Afterwards he said they should know within a week.

I received a call about 6 days later offering me a supervisor position, as there was no assistant manager position available, but was assured that they would move me up as quickly as possible after the holiday season.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle it if you asked an employee to complete a task while you were gone for the night, and when you returned the next morning it was not completed?   1 Answer
    • When you're looking at hiring someone, what do you look for?   Answer Question
    • How have you helped coach a team to meet goals?   Answer Question
    • How do you personally hold yourself accountable for meeting sales goals?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GameStop (Bloomington, IL) in September 2014.

Interview

First interview with store manager. Went off a small workbook with multiple follow up questions. I often answered a large portion of the follow ups with my initial answer. Mostly about management experience, but in my case, having none, used times that I took an authoritative role. Mostly a common retail interview with a lot of supervisor questions. He wrote a lot and said I gave good answers.
    Second interview was supposed to be a phone interview with another manager from the same area. Ended up as an in person interview because I worked I the same building as that Gamestop, so it was much easier to meet in person. In this interview, he ran out of questions because I answered then so fully again. Asked if I didn't get the AM if he could hire me to work 10 hours a week on my days off for my current job.

Didn't get the job, but he said I was a top contender.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of when an employee didn't do what you had asked them to, and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GameStop in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online for a different position than the one I was highered for in early July, received initial call back 2 weeks later for over the phone interview and face to face scheduling aprox a week later. Brought paper copy of Resume on interview day, dressed in shirt, tie and slacks. Interviewer was upfront and said I was over qualified for the position, but wanted to place me into a a different position. Questions were straightforward for a retail position: customer service, employee relations, theft etc. At the end of the interview I was told I was being considered for a different position and I would receive a call back. 1 hr later I received a call back and did the second interview the same afternoon. I walked in and was told that I had the job if I wanted it. Very straightforward and honest very good interview process.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Were up front about minimum they could offer me, but indicated potential higher wage. Actual Negotiation occurs between Division Manager and HR. The more qualified you are the higher wage you will get.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

First interview with store manager, second with metro training store manager, third with district manager.

Interview Questions

• None. All questions were what you'd expect in a retail based interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got a fair offer based on previous experience.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

I had walked in and simply asked if they were hiring. I was just lucky enough to be taken in because I had helped a customer pick out a game as well as make sure it could run on their pc. After turning in my application, I was called in a few days later and then became an associate.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They told me how much they would bring me on for and I accepted. There was no negotiations because they have set wages for all the employees unless they're salaried managers.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Clairsville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Saint Clairsville, OH).

Interview

Interviewed with the manager first, then interviewed with th district manager. a lot of questions on experience and how to handle customer service issue.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

not really any negotiations.

Assistant Manager Interview

Interview

Pretty basic interview process. Ask about games, why to work there, etc.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.