GameStop Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GameStop Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

2.2

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Met with the manager and we hit it off immediatly. She hired me on the spot and I began the formal application process to be admitted.

Negotiation

More of a conversation to get to know me than a interview.

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

If hired on at this level, the interviewee gets interviewed by a manager (either Assistant or Store Manager) from the hiring store, gets interviewed by a higher manager (either a Manager-Trainer Store Manager or the District Manager), then the references are checked, and the person is called to come in for paperwork

Interview Questions

• The basic interview questions are pretty basic and common, but sometimes the interviewer will ask questions they come up with to clarify information or gather additional important incite.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

The interview process is based on if you know someone or if your applying for a seasonal position.

Anonymous Employee in Big Spring, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GameStop (Big Spring, TX).

Interview

During certain times of the year, mainly holiday, or in the event of someone leaving the company for X,Y,Z reason are the best times to try to get hired at your local Gamestop. Interviews are usually 20-60 mins depending on the management who's doing the interviews. I was able to be referred via taking a college course with the manager of my local Gamestop and through social networking landed an interview within a week of putting in my application.

Interview Questions

• Be ready for anything as this depends very much so on the hiring manager.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was hired on as a Game Advisor. Negotiation phase was more of a large exhange of information as far as the typical on-boarding process. You're basically informed of your expected amount of hours to recieve, or simply shown the schedules, and your payrate. Overall standard stuff.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

You are interviewed by the store manager first and then district manager. If you are lucky, you get an interview with the district manager depending if they are a good one. The hiring process is fairly easy and traditional sometimes, starting with a phone call to come in for the face to face. This is for management positions only, for partime game advisors theres a group interview sometimes.

Interview Questions

• there is no real structured questions sometimes. It varies from manager to manager   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop in April 2011.

Interview

When I interviewed i did not know what to expect, so I dressed up in a nice suit and tie. When I got there I found out that the interview was pretty casual. We went to the back of the store and I finally got to see what behind one of the stores looked like and there wasn't much in there. The interview consisted of questions about previous work experience and what you would feel comfortable doing. One question was why do I want to work at Game Stop. This ended up turning the interview into a conversation about the business aspects behind the gaming industry. I was filled in with a lot of information about the gaming retail industry. At the end of the interview I was told by the assistant manager that he was really impressed with my knowledge on the gaming industry and business and retail on a whole. He said that he will pass on the information to the manager and I will hear from them soon. I got a call the next evening from the manager saying that he wanted to meet with me but he wanted me to come in the same time that the regional director would be there so they both can talk with me. We hadn't agreed on a day and time yet when I received a call from the assistant manager saying that the manager told him that they would like to bring me on but there are no positions available at the time for managers because they expected a position to have opened up but it didn't. I have not heard back from them as yet but I also did not follow up as I should have.

Interview Questions

• Was there a time when you had to make a last minute decision due to a crisis, how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Lansing, MI) in October 2008.

Interview

Unfortunately any position below SM is usually done by the SM, and most of them have no idea what they are doing. By being well dressed, well spoken and knowledgeable and friendly, you already stand out among the hundreds of dumb people that apply each year.

Interview Questions

• If you were a kitchen appliance, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, they make an offer, take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at GameStop (Portland, OR) in November 2009.

Interview

A close friend just hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Can you work until 1am on Mondays?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Easy.

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2011.

Interview

One interview, sit down with district manager in mall location. Questions focused on former team building and program selling. Big plus if your previous company was membership based, as the Gamestop experience requires lots of club selling with power up rewards.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions, but don't expect to go in talking about video games.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at GameStop in October 2009.

Interview

Getting an interview at the store level requires either a lot of luck, or knowing someone who works there. With 5 to 10 employees on payroll at a time, stores have little wiggle room to higher new people. That being said, on the average week 15-30 people apply for a job. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• The interview is being done by an overworked schlub who doesn't feel valued by their boss. Dress nice, answer honestly, and don't be an idiot. You probably won't get the job though, unless you are over-qualified. Most people have a bachelors degree and are essentially working the McDonald's of video game retail. Seriously, I once worked in a retail store with a man with his masters degree in Genetics... everyone seems to be overqualified for their jobs these days.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiating.