GameStop Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 4, 2017

2.4

103 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

WASTED MY TIME FOR MONTHS AND GOT REJECTED LAST MINUTE WITH NO EXPLANATION. I applied a long time ago until I got an employee referral and tried again. At first, the store manager was very nice to me and we got along well. I did my first interview and did very well on that. After 2 months with no calls, I get a second call to do another interview with the new ASL. I go to the second interview and they told me they would call me by the end of the week. At this point, I was tired of waiting for them to give me an answer because I waited so long with no updates. By the end of the week, I received a phone call telling me I didn't get the job. No explanation. If they knew I was not going to get the job, why call me in for a second interview, waste my time, and then make me wait another week just to give me a rejection call? A friend of mine showed up at the store and saw that an elderly woman was getting trained, looking as if she had no idea what she was doing. Not only was I was qualified for the job, I got a second interview, and was about to get hired until the ASL came in I get rejected not even a week later with no explanation. I don't think this was a coincidence. Then they hire an elderly woman who not only looked confused, but probably cannot keep up with the constant updates of new games, consoles, etc. I'm very disappointed with the way I was treated and how I wasted over 4 months of my time trying to get a job at this place only to get mysteriously rejected in the end by some new ASL who has not even been there for a week. This is beyond ridiculous and I am never applying here again.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you can contribute to the store and to the rest of the team?   Answer Question

PAYROLL Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grapevine, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GameStop (Grapevine, TX) in July 2017.

Interview

I met with the assistant department manager for the accounting team in her office. She had a standard questionnaire the company provided her that she went over, then we talked for a little while after completing everything on it.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you made a mistake and how you corrected it.   Answer Question

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at GameStop (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Did the application online, and received an email informing me about a job fair that was interviewing people on the spot. I went to the job fair, noticing that a lot of other people wanted to work at Gamestop because two different locations were hiring. Working on your people skills is key to the interview that you might go to because during my interview (it was my first interview,) I was a bit fidgety, but maintained eye contact with the person interviewing me, but I guess that I should get better at interviews in the future.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at GameStop (San Jose, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Instead of waiting for the infamously slow response from my online application, I went to a local Gamestop job fair soon after I applied. Around 50 people were there over the course of 3 hours, filtering in and out of the Gamestop where it was held. I was around 35th on the list and waited about an hour and a half (standing, because there were no chairs) before an interviewer called me up. He was friendly and approachable, and looked over my resume carefully. Shortly after the interview began, he realized that I was looking for a 4-month summer job, and regretfully informed me that Gamestop only hired non-full-year employees during the Christmas season. This information was not on their website.

From the other Gamestop interviews going on around me, I noticed that most were around 20 minutes long and centered far more on customer service skills than game knowledge.

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GameStop (Freehold, NJ) in June 2017.

Interview

It was an easy interview , quick simple got straight to the piont with the questions. most questions where about what you think of the company, customer service and how you feel working on hoildays and long hours.

Interview Questions

• Do you play viedo games, if so what games?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Christiana, DE

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at GameStop (Christiana, DE).

Interview

Don't overthink what their asking you, just act natural sadly I didn't get the job but it was a good experience.

But also it was around Christmas so it was crowded interview

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for GameStop, and why?   1 Answer

Visual Administrative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GameStop in April 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, I was called and interviewed over the phone about my qualifications and background. The interviewer was very nice and really liked me. The weird part is when I was asked to come in for a second interview, I asked what day she was thinking of since I was going out of town in the next 2 weeks for my honeymoon, something I had planned MONTHS ago. Immediately the tune changed and she said she would email me if they decided to move forward. I received an email a month later stating they were not going to continue with my interview process because although my skill set was strong, I "lacked a specific skill set needed for the job", aka they weren't happy I went on my honeymoon. Extremely unprofessional. I'm glad they didn't offer me anything, because if this experience is indicative of their work environment, then I'd rather work somewhere that is okay with me taking vacation time, especially when I give them advance notice. Extremely extremely unprofessional.

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GameStop (San Jose, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interviewer ask basic questions of your past work experience. Ask if there was any problems you had at previous jobs and what you could have done to improve the situation. Also ask about any video game knowledge.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Very basic, easy, phone call into a face to face then a phone call confirmation. No real hoops to jump through nor any real surprises here nor do you expect any

Seasonal Game Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Banos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at GameStop (Los Banos, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I walked into my local GameStop and luckily got a group interview the next day. There was four other people there and we got asked basic questions that most retail stores ask. The manager and assistant manager was there to ask the questions. I had my resume with me and I felt like I answered the questions with confidence. I worked at the same GameStop before as a seasonal game advisor so most of the questions I answered I already have heard, yet unfortunately this time they didn't take me.