GameStop Store Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

GameStop Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Oct 3, 2016

2.5

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at GameStop (New York, NY).

Interview

I started as a game adviser and the manager in charge of the new hires for the new location hired anyone who applied who looked decent. I had a referral so the on boarding was extremely easy.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for GameStop

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Interview was normal. Asked about operations, shrink, customer service, etc. Asked basic questions about coaching and hiring. Why my interest in gamestop and what I want to do from there. when I want to start and when I wanted to move into town

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Two interviews, one with DM and one with an Area Manager. Many times it is just one interview. They read from a interview guide. The questions are basic management questions.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

You will go into the back room of the store and sit with the district manager. Right off the bat, the district manager already knows going into the interview if they want you or not. (at least mine did.) During an interview from before, did not ask a question and just told me why I would or would not get the job. My particular district manager was unprofessional and often rude. Glad to say that he does not work for the company anymore.

Interview Questions

• Why should you get this position?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GameStop (Anaheim, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I sat down with the DM, and we had a conversation. It only took 45 minutes. They called a week in advance. He let me know I had the job at the end of the interview. It was not a difficult process at all.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

Hr interview was more a review of my previous employment and reference check, then dm interview consisted of a discussion of basic interview questions then a more in depth conversation of a p&L.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions...
      why do you want to work here
      experience and customer service questions
      Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at GameStop.

Interview

My process was much more different than others. I came in looking for a seasonal job. After I asked for an application, the manager requested I come back the next day for the interview. After doing so, I was offered the job on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in Manassas, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at GameStop (Manassas, VA).

Interview

They brought me in and were curious to know if I had any other experience in retail or customer service. Wanted to gauge my knowledge of Video Game systems and games as well

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite game of all time?   2 Answers

Application

Interview

I became a Store Manager after moving up internally, I was an Assistant Manager at the time of my interview. My District Manager came in to the store while I was working and asked me about our P&L (Profit and Loss), I was able to discuss with her our strength and weaknesses as a store, and the direct impact it had on our profitability. While I was expecting to be pulled into the back room and question, she conducted her visit as she normally would and I inquired at the end "Was this my interview" and she said yes, and explained that I was at my best in my natural environment, and that pulling me into the back room would only make me nervous. It was far, far easier than I was expecting and I was promoted within the week.

Interview Questions

• I struggled with the question "What can you do to help the DISTRICT increase it's pre-owned sales?" I had been so focused on my own store as an ASM, I forgot that as a Store Manager, your focus must be on the district as a whole along with your own store.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was not one, I attempted to negotiate my pay as I felt it was too low, but was turned down.

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at GameStop (Sacramento, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was not too bad. I originally phone interviewed with a DM from another market. Quite a few of the questions during this interview or behavior based. A lot of those questions had to do with how I have coached and improved underperforming employees in the past. How I set goals and implement plans. How I go about recruiting and retaining talent. And also had to do with some of my greater accomplishments in my management career. After that interview I interviewed with the district manager for the district that I was going to work in. This interview took place in person. During this interview I was asked more questions about my management style, accomplishments in my career, as well as my knowledge in the field specifically which game consoles I am familiar with and what games I play or am familiar with. The interviews went well and I was called back a few days later and offered the position of store manager designate. Which is a 30 day training position for store managers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to coach an underperforming associate, what was the scenario, what was your action, and what was the result?   Answer Question