Gander Mountain Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 18, 2017

2.5

Zone Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Louis, MO) in November 2016.

Interview

Focused on pushing employees for metrics, getting credit cards and warranties. At the end, asked if I had any questions, when I said no he asked why I didn't ask about pay. Basically, they put you in a bidding war for the job. For almost every question, there was a specific answer he was looking for. For leadership style, the answer Lead by example with respect for the employees and customers was a bad choice.

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Gander Mountain.

Interview

Two interviews. One with the hiring manager then if he likes you he sends you to the store manager. First interview, went great, second, not so much. The manager was making comments asking if "I was in the right place" and "it's not a makeup store" because I had my hair and makeup done, but tried to reassure him that just because I like to look nice doesn't mean I don't know about the outdoors, and I proved that to him while he asked me series of questions on different guns and hunting products... I was then told I'd be receiving a call 2-3 days later to tell me if I got the job or not... never received a call back so I called them 5 days later to ask if they made a decision and they said they'd give me a call back within the next day and never heard back from them. They were pretty rude to me just because I looked nice for an interview.

Merchandising Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Paul, MN) in August 2016.

Interview

Quick process, which was appreciated. I applied online and received a call from HR within a few days. I was asked to come in to interview at their headquarters in St. Paul one day later. I was interviewed by three people separately, one-on-one. They all asked identical questions and were behavioral-based (nothing out of the ordinary). Prior to my interview, I read many negative comments about the company culture. After meeting with my interviewers, I started to see why. When I asked about the work environment during my interview, there was a lot of hesitation. One of my interviewers also made many arrogant comments. After telling him about my travels, he was quick to say that I must have a "F/M Scholarship." I didn't know what this was at first, but he preceded to tell me it stands for father/mother scholarship. This is not the case; I have never received one penny from my family, so I thought this comment was completely unnecessary and undermined my hard work. The company isn't doing so well, which seems to have created a toxic work environment.

Zone Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Charlotte, NC) in March 2016.

Interview

Rushed and interviewed by an outside store manager. Asked cookie cutter questions. Just overall horrible process as the manager had a sheet where he was just writing chicken scratch. Interview had no impact and was pointless. As I stated there was an outside manager that interviewed with no input from DM or actuall store manager.

Zone Supervisor Footwear Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valdosta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Valdosta, GA) in February 2016.

Interview

I was called by Operations Specialist after applying online. An appointment was made for me to come into the store for the interview. When I came in, I was interviewed by the zone Manager I would be reporting to. The interview was held in the privacy of her office 1-1 with me. I was treated with respect, and afterwards, I was given a tour of the department that I would potentially be working in.

Interview Questions

• If a customer saw a pair of shoes at some other store, then came into Gander Mountain and saw another shoe that looked similar, but cost more, how would you handle the situation?   1 Answer
    • Are you able to work any shift, and any day including holidays?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Paul, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone screen, followed by in-person interview. Phone screen went 30 minutes on the dot. From there, I was invited to meet with team members, each with 30 minute limits. Interviewees asked the same questions so they could have been combined to save time. All told, I was at base camp for 90 minutes in lieu of the two hours set aside.

In advance, I prepared many examples of work I've performed to showcase my skill set in areas I thought were relevant but they weren't really needed as the questions weren't asked. Yes, I'm glad I prepared fully prior to the meeting but was disappointed that I wasn't given the opportunity to fully showcase all I could bring to the position. I did not "connect" with one of my interviewers very well, and I'm convinced this is the reason I was not invited to become a finalist. Looking back, I think about what I could have done differently but have no real answers. I do not blame the interviewer as it's my responsibility to get him/her to see me in the role, and obviously, I did not do so. Onward and upward!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and how you see it fitting with the position?   Answer Question

Sales Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Very laid back and friendly environment. Interview was on phone then at the office which was a two step back to back. Took about a week for a decision to be made. They kept in touch and informed throughout the week.

Interview Questions

• Very informal friendly questions almost like a get to know you meeting.   Answer Question

POS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Paul, MN) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied on the company web site and then was contacted by human resources for an interview. A time was scheduled and I drove to the interview for multiple face to face interviews. One great thing was parking validation and parking in Saint Paul was easy and close to the location.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers followed the questions written on pieces of papers and most of the questions centered around experience in retail and troubleshooting POS with questions around other experiences of other experiences within the retail world at the store and corporate level. Added in was some worst case scenarios with some questions surrounding that scenario or to spook people out of the position. So I would say the interview is easy if one has the experience followed up with HR inquiries about HR related Q and A.   1 Answer

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Paul, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Very casual conversations exploring what I could bring and what their environment was like. I interviewed with the IT director, hiring manager and HR. Overall it was a very good experience.

Hardlines Zone Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Grand Rapids, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

I was asked a series of staged questions. Was made comfortable about talking about hobbies and things other than work. The interview was about an hour long. There was time at the end to ask any questions that I had which was nice