Gander Mountain Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2017

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Lakeville, MN) in August 2012.

Interview

Brutal. Very intensive and asked questions that weren't associated with the position. I was intimidated by the store manager, but I called constantly to get the job. You have to stay in contact with them so you don't get forgotten about. Many people get offered the position but get "left behind" during the drug test and orientation portion. You have to show that you want to work there.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience to you have with guns? (I was applying for a camping position)   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Clair, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Clair, PA).

Interview

Great situational based questions. A lot of would you do type questions. A time we're you had an adverse situation that you had to work through. Tell about time u had to challenge status quo.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when u had to question the integrity of your supervisor   Answer Question

Apparel Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Charleston, SC) in August 2014.

Interview

Very long met with three managers before finishing. Long application to complete asked a lot of repetitive things. Just in different working. All in all I felt they just asked to keep you there. To see how long you can sit and stay interested. Kept you on your toes thru out you never knew where you stood.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lake Mary, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Lake Mary, FL) in October 2012.

Interview

In depth and extremelly detailed. Focused on processes and how to manage the processes that apply at Gander. Panel interview was relaxed and easy to manage. Be ready to discuss how you handled things successfully in your past management positions you have held.

Interview Questions

• Questions about processes and how I can make them work in my store.   Answer Question

Zone Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (San Antonio, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Tedious. Lots of interviews, lots of questions. Lots of the same questions. Lots of empty promises. Lots of foreshadowing to how great it could be. Lots of time going back and forth to the interview location in order to meet the entire management staff. It was tiring. It was like being screened for treehouse membership.The overall experience was soul sucking.

Interview Questions

• Too many questions. They want to put you through a lot of pressure. A lot of rewording the same questions. A lot of your typical retail crud.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non negotiable, and a lot of pressure to accept the offer ASAP.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Port St Lucie, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Port St Lucie, FL) in March 2012.

Interview

Cold , they seem frightened of upper management.
    More concerned with their own job safety, it was all based on credit history and things that had nothing to do with job performance

Interview Questions

• If a person " borrows " paper clips would you report for stealing   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

You will be interviewed at least 3 times. I would suggest you get everything in writing. Each interviewer will ask a series of different questions, answer best you can. Each interview will take 30 - 45 min. ( that was my experience ).

Interview Questions

Negotiation

short

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Cleveland, OH) in April 2013.

Interview

Received a phone call from human resources, came in for the first interview with the store manager, and then back in for a second interview with the area manager. This is where I was offered the position by the second manager and the HR person.

Interview Questions

• what is your experience with selling credit cards or the like?   1 Answer

Negotiation

nothing

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain in June 2010.

Interview

Initially I was contacted by a recruiter from thier corporate head quarters. She interviewed me by phone for an hour. These questions had to do with previous experience, situational questions about management style, career goals and what I knew about the company.

The following week, I was then contacted by the district manager who had me come in for a 1:1 interview at the store. This interview was somewhat informal and consisted of questions about why I wanted to work for the company, what my interest was in the outdoors, and a review of my job history.

Two days later, I was contacted by the area HR manager. They interviewed me by phone. This interview lasted about 45 minutes and was structured. Typical HR script type questions. Focused on specific expamples of situations and management and leadership style. I was given information on company benefits and a general pay range for this position was discussed.

Week 3, I was contacted by Gander Mountains corporate headquarters and invited to fly to Minnesota to their corporate head quarters for interviews and an evaluation. They made the flight arrangements, rented a car, hotel reservations and reimbursed all the travel expences I encured. Prior to this visit, I was sent a link with 7 online tests to take. These ranged from personality, aptitude and psychological exams. These took a total of 3 hours to complete. My travel arrangements had me fly in, get a car and be to the corporate headquarters for my first interview an hour after I landed. I had 4 interviews in succession with director of store operations, HR director and the corporate recruiter that had initially contacted me. All the questions they asked were straight forward background, management style and situational in nature.

The following morning I had to travel to CPI's offices, a psychologist consulting firm. I then had a 2 hour interview with a psychologist. This was like any other job interview but the questions were much more touchy feely and expanded on my feelings, other people's opinions etc. Uncomfortable and stange. Then I was brought to a room and given 3 more timed tests on my vocabulary, math and interpretations skills. I then had two hours to get to the airport and fly home.

Apon my return, I'm not called for 5 days. Then I am contacted my the district manager to come into the store for my 8th interview. This time I am asked to talk to the outgoing store manager. For the 8th time I explain why I want to work for this company, my work background, my management style etc. Then I get debriefed on what obsticles I will face taking over this store, what is going on with building repairs and maintenance etc. If I had to describe it, I would call it a passing of the torch conversation. I'm also handed a copy of the bonus structure during this meeting.

The following week, I am called and told they are going in a differant direction for this specific location but I am encouraged to stay in touch with them and apply for another position when one comes open.

After 8 interviews, flying 1/2 way across the country and back in two days and spending nearly 20 hours in my car travelling to and from interviews, I'm not sure this is a company I wanted to work for anyway.

Key take aways from conversations I had:
    1) company restructuring, going private due to poor financial performance, history of bankrupcy.
    2) Recent changes in middle management, these guys have history of woking for Budweiser, they don't know retail but, they know business.
    3) Bonus structure not great. 28% of annual salary max, based on sales, profit, shrink, credit card apps, extended warrenties.
    4) Selling guns brings alot of red tape. Someone on your team makes a simple mistake on ATF forms and you and half your team could find yourselves on unemplyment in a heartbeat.
    5) Looking for good ole country boys that drive a pickup and like killen stuff. Present yourself in a blue collar fashion with a hands on approach. Community envolvement with local civic organizations.

Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Paul, MN) in August 2013.

Interview

The interview process was pretty long. it was 3 phone interviews and 1 skype interview. I was out of state at the time so they didn't fly me in for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a little about yourself?   1 Answer