Gander Mountain Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 22, 2017

2.1

Customer Service Associate/Fishing Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avon, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Avon, IN) in November 2015.

Interview

Made me stand around and wait for 20 minutes before the interview even began. Interview itself took all of 5 minutes. Someone had mis-scheduled and the guy thought I was coming in at 1pm not 9am. Seemed like he didn't care, kept looking at the security cameras the entire time.

Pay was too low.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Louis, MO) in November 2015.

Interview

It was short and sweet. They asked a lot of questions about firearms and gauged my answers.

Probably should have asked me how I sell credit cards.

Very awesome HR rep, kept everything on track and made sure I had an interview that worked with my schedule.

Interview Questions

• How do you determine what firearm will suit a persons needs?

What type of firearms do you own yourself?

Can you teach people how to safely operate a firearm they're purchasing?
      Answer Question

Firearms Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Woodbridge, VA).

Interview

Apply online. Receive a phone call to set up an interview with the firearms manager. ~20 minute interview asking typical customer service related questions. Then they call back to set up a secondary interview with the store manager - quicker and easier than the first. Job offer on the spot and then offer letter emailed soon after.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Read the offer letter and negotiate if you expect higher pay

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Paul, MN) in October 2015.

Interview

Phone screen, followed by in-person interview. Phone screen went 30 minutes on the dot. From there, I was invited to meet with team members, each with 30 minute limits. Interviewees asked the same questions so they could have been combined to save time. All told, I was at base camp for 90 minutes in lieu of the two hours set aside.

In advance, I prepared many examples of work I've performed to showcase my skill set in areas I thought were relevant but they weren't really needed as the questions weren't asked. Yes, I'm glad I prepared fully prior to the meeting but was disappointed that I wasn't given the opportunity to fully showcase all I could bring to the position. I did not "connect" with one of my interviewers very well, and I'm convinced this is the reason I was not invited to become a finalist. Looking back, I think about what I could have done differently but have no real answers. I do not blame the interviewer as it's my responsibility to get him/her to see me in the role, and obviously, I did not do so. Onward and upward!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and how you see it fitting with the position?   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Flint, MI) in October 2015.

Interview

I was asked to fill out a questionnaire about the different areas of expertise (fishing, hunting, footwear, appeal, customer service), then talked to by the a assistant store manager. It was a simple interview expaining the job position and what is expected. I was hired on the spot. I had a lot of customer service and management experience so I feel they were comfortable in choosing me so quickly.

Firearm Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Gander Mountain.

Interview

Received a call a day or two after applying. Asked a few work history questions over the phone as well as a few questions regarding sales and firearms/hunting. Scheduled interview two days after phone call. Was fairy short and straight to the point. Was offered a position after the interview concluded.

Interview Questions

• What are some firearms you own, and how knowledgeable of them are you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hattiesburg, MS

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Hattiesburg, MS) in September 2015.

Interview

Not very formal, but I really enjoyed the approached that they used. I wouldn't say the interview qualified for a suit and tie but Khakis and a button up are the way to go. Show up promptly because they are very busy all of the time. The interview did not last more than 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What was my most memorable outdoor experience.
      What do you believe is our main goal at gander mountain.
      How do you think you could contribute to our team and culture.
      Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakeville, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Lakeville, MN) in September 2015.

Interview

Interviewer asked about myself, my hobbies, interests and how it relates to the position. The interview process wasn't very formal, the interviewer essentially told me what they were expecting and asked if I could adhere to those expectations. Overall the interview took about 20 minutes. I applied and I was contacted within 1 week to schedule an interview.

Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Kalamazoo, MI) in August 2015.

Interview

short interview with basic questions about you and what kind of products you would recommend to someone hunting. (gun caliber, scope, bullets, clothing ect.) asked when availability was (very good with school or other life events?

Interview Questions

• what would you recommend to a kid starting hunting? what caliber would be a good home defense round?   1 Answer
    • what gauge would you recommend for ducks?   Answer Question
    • what caliber would be a good home defense round?   Answer Question

Sales Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Gander Mountain (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Very laid back and friendly environment. Interview was on phone then at the office which was a two step back to back. Took about a week for a decision to be made. They kept in touch and informed throughout the week.

Interview Questions

• Very informal friendly questions almost like a get to know you meeting.   Answer Question