Gannett Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (Livonia, MI) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview, management interview, assessment test - if they like you, interview with president of sales division. The overall experience was not horrible. The assessment tests were pretty difficult.

Interview Questions

• was there ever a time that a co-worker of manager asked you to do anything unethical   1 Answer

Photographer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fond du Lac, WI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Gannett (Fond du Lac, WI) in August 2008.

Interview

You just have to know the right people. Hiring is done through photographers knowing other photographers. When positions open up, guys already in Gannett move from paper to paper trying to move up the ladder, though positions are few and far between.

Interview Questions

• Your presented with a news gathering scenario and you have to say how you would solve the onsite problems that pop up.   1 Answer

Photographer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockford, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Gannett (Rockford, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

A manager called me and talked about himself for 30 minutes. Then he set up a Skype interview with himself and another photographer. They couldn't get the Skype call to work. After that interview, they asked if I would be willing to drive from where I lived in the upper Midwest to their location in the Deep South for an in-person interview. They were surprised when I declined because of the 15-hour drive. (They told me they do not fly candidates in for news jobs).

Interview Questions

• Do you mind shooting football in the rain?   1 Answer

Photojournalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Gannett (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Moved to current location from another Gannett property but still had to interview along with drug and background checks. The company line of "if you work at one Gannett property you work at them all" only applies if you play the Gannett game. It is now more who you know than your CV and experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

We are union, so the pay is what it is. You can negotiate where on the escalator the starting pay is if they want you.

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Gannett (Tampa, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

Very Intensive for such an entry-level position. Pretty in-depth phone interview with executive producer, followed by in-person interview with News Director and writing test the next day. Interviewers didn't necessarily ask tough questions, but they were very thorough. Make sure you have a lot of questions as that seemed to work well for me.

Interview Questions

• What would your former anchors say about you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Gannett (McLean, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was simple and straight to the point. They asked what are your aspirations and goals if you get the job. Also, they also talked to you about the Talent Development program and that it's more likely to get a spot if you interned there before. The interview was one on one and they were very nice, but serious through the process. They were quick to accommodate you and make you feel comfortable.

Journalist Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Gannett.

Interview

Went through multiple people including the top editors. Fairly standard process. Was given a few test assignments and had to explain what I would do to complete them. Writing test, copy editing etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you cover this current news event (the drought, the shooting in charleston)   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted their initial salary offer.

Journalist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Gannett in March 2008.

Interview

No complaints about the interview process. Everybody I dealt with was professional and likable. I was already working for the company, so this would have been a promotion to a larger paper. Since the company already knew my work the interview was probably less extensive than it would have been with a new employee. I basically did a critique of several newspaper sections then did one-on-one interviews with a variety of staff, ranging from people who would supervise me to would-be peers.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember anything particularly difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

The offer was lower than I had hoped for.

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (White Plains, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

Interview with HR rep, interview with editor. There was a writing test. Have a clip file ready. Be prepared to do a try-out story on short notice -- deadline that afternoon. Make sure to read the paper and be able to discuss current events.

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (Naples, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

Saw the ad online, sent my resume and got a call from the DM to which I attended a q & q session.
    Review of what's needed for the job, entire plant tour and q&a time.
    It's a new position so was pretty easy interview process, hire process.

Interview Questions

• Do I have the necessary tools to do the job (contract), can I ensure the job will be done despite holidays, time, weather, ec   1 Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Gannett (Indianapolis, IN) in August 2011.

Interview

It wasn't too bad. It included a phone interview to begin with. After that, I got a phone call a couple days later to come in for an interview. It was an interview with the manager and a supervisor. I then got called in for a 2nd live interview with the controller.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.